News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Cast Brembo front calipers

Started by Indiana jones, September 20, 2021, 02:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana jones

Due to the regulations in the class I hope to race in next year, I'm not permitted to run blue spots on my Fj Racer.
They are deemed to be billet.
Cast Brembos are permitted.
I'm guessing that the Brembo calipers that came as standard on some xjr models are a good compromise.
Any opinions?
Are they much better than a good standard set of 4 pots?
BMW R1150GS,XT600 Tenere,FJ1100 bobber, Ducati 999 BiP x 2

melloncollie

I was looking through some other brake threads and came across this, may be helpful for you.  Not sure if Fred ever found the brackets mentioned.  At least it may give you an idea of how much better the Brembo calipers will be.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19700.msg201175#msg201175
89 FJ1200
Mikuni RS36, Hindle 4-1, Blue Dots

ribbert

Quote from: Indiana jones on September 20, 2021, 02:18:23 PM
Due to the regulations in the class I hope to race in next year, I'm not permitted to run blue spots on my Fj Racer.
They are deemed to be billet.
Cast Brembos are permitted.
I'm guessing that the Brembo calipers that came as standard on some xjr models are a good compromise.
Any opinions?
Are they much better than a good standard set of 4 pots?

Depends how you define "better." I can't see any reason why the XJR (or cast) Brembo's would be better than standard 4 piston calipers, other than perhaps lighter. The standard ones have also proven to have no issue with flexing. A stand alone swap to blue spots from standard (as in no other upgrade at the same time) makes no perceivable difference anyway. Pads, hoses and m/c for sure.

Presumably a set of Brembo calipers is expensive, if it was me, I'd be investing the money into something else to get around the track quicker.

I don't get what the objection is to billet and what happens if you're racing an XJR (I'm assuming it's eligible in the same class).

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

JMR

Get a set of Brembo's off an older Ducati.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/353558103077?hash=item5251b48425%3Ag%3A6WQAAOSwRvRg1NTq&LH_ItemCondition=4   They work well....I ran a Brembo set up for many years,