News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Starter Relay Not Working Anymore

Started by Rogue, October 21, 2021, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1985 Fj1100 and I fixed all current issues and have had it running great. One thing I just started working on was the turn signals because they aren't receiving any power and by unplugging connectors and testing voltages my starter won't work anymore. It stopped working after I unplugged the black and blue relay near the battery. I believe it's a starter relay which would make sense but even after reconnecting and cleaning all terminals it still doesn't function. I even tried making new connections but to no success. No power is going through any of the 4 wires and I'm wondering if something else may have happened along the way. Maybe a wire pulled loose? The colors of the wires that go to the relay are blue with white stripe, red with white stripe, black with white stripe, and 2 black wires that are fused together. I'm not sure what else to do here and I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. Thank you for your time.

fj1289

My first thought is disassemble and clean the starter switch in the right control housing.  They tend to get gummed up and get sticky.  It can cause some weird symptoms similar to what you are describing.  There might be something about it in the files section    :unknown:  If not, maybe there should be!

T Legg

The relay you unplugged is the kickstand relay. There is a thread going with someone having a similar problem and there are pictures of the wiring schematic with it.
T Legg

Rogue

I doubt it would be the starter switch because it had no issue starting until the relay was removed. I checked the wires that go to the relay which the power is the red and white wire. I followed that connection and found a second one which should have a current but doesn't. Maybe I pulled a connection loose with the red and white wire? I'll look at that page too and try to find the diagram to see what that red and white wire runs to. Thanks again! If anyone else has input it's always greatly appreciated!