News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Part Solution Needed

Started by Reloader, November 09, 2021, 12:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Needless to say after 29 years and 57k miles the brake pedal bushing (part no. 90386-20130-00) is long gone. It appears to have been made out of a plastic material.

Finding one is impossible online as they are no longer available.

Has anyone dealt with this part or found a way to eliminate the play in the brake pedal with a substitute?

Thanks in advance.
Marc
1992 FJ
1999 C5
1999 911
2006 LR3

Millietant

I realise it's a bit of a kop out but....... Maybe someone on here has a spare right side footrest plate they don't need?

Or have you thought about having a brass insert/bush made by a local engineer that you could fit? Take them your brake lever and plate and I'm sure they could make up an insert in short order.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Reloader

Thank you Dean. Going to the machine shop was my last resort. Around here, unless you know someone, there are minimums, set-up fees, yada yada yada. It needs to be done because the pedal will rub the side cover if I don't press outward and down at the same time.
Marc
1992 FJ
1999 C5
1999 911
2006 LR3

red

Quote from: Reloader on November 09, 2021, 12:43:42 PMNeedless to say after 29 years and 57k miles the brake pedal bushing (part no. 90386-20130-00) is long gone. It appears to have been made out of a plastic material.  Finding one is impossible online as they are no longer available.
Has anyone dealt with this part or found a way to eliminate the play in the brake pedal with a substitute?  Thanks in advance.
Reloader,

If you have a great hobby shop or craft store handy, you may be able to find brass tubing which just fits over the shifter shaft, and a larger tube that just fits into the frame hole.  Cut a piece of each tube to the length of the bushing needed.  Cut several "extra" pieces of the smaller tubing to the same lengths.  Cut a slit down the side of these "extra" pieces to make them a "C" shape.  Open out the "extra" pieces to fit into the space in between the outer tubing and inner tubing.  You may need several pieces of the "extra" tubing to fill the gap.  When you have the right number of parts, dis-assemble your brass "bushing."  Coat the inside and outside of each "extra" piece with JB-Weld (or similar epoxy), then reassemble your bushing.  Tap the "extras" into place with a small hammer.  Wipe away any excess epoxy.  When finished, and the epoxy has cured, you will have a brass bushing to replace the worn part.  Grease the metal bushing generously during installation.

Alternately, you may be able to find a hard "plastic" block such as Delrin.  Cut, file and drill the plastic to fit as needed, and replace the old bushing.  Cut the outside diameter of the bushing just slightly too large, to make  a "press-fit" of the bushing into the frame hole.  The inside hole will be drilled round.  The outside diameter can be somewhat faceted; there is no need for a perfectly round exterior on the bushing.  No lathe needed.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

pict

Maybe get some thin brass shim stock, cut a strip of the desired bushing length, and roll it up until you have a tube of the desired OD/ID. Hit it with some solder if you want to stop it unravelling.
1986 FJ1200 1TX

Millietant

Quote from: Reloader on November 09, 2021, 03:03:35 PM
Thank you Dean. Going to the machine shop was my last resort. Around here, unless you know someone, there are minimums, set-up fees, yada yada yada. It needs to be done because the pedal will rub the side cover if I don't press outward and down at the same time.

Cool.

I suppose I'm lucky having a pal with an engineering business who will do stuff like this for me for pennies, but we have half a dozen small engineering workshops in town and they'll all do this type of basic thing for just a few £'s (a couple of minutes on an old manual lathe). Plus, we've this place only 15 minutes away - I haven't checked it out yet, but am doing so next week - it could be fun !!!

https://the-machine-shop.co.uk/
Dean

Reloader

Red,

That is pure genius with the brass tubing, but as it turns out I have some Delrin stock that can be used. Just didn't think about it because it was out of sight, and therefore, at my age, out of memory!!

Pict,

Another great idea using the shim material, might use that if the Delrin proves to be a problem.

Thanks to all.
Marc
1992 FJ
1999 C5
1999 911
2006 LR3

chiz

A farm type store in my area has quite a selection of bronze bushes in fact there is another one like Harbour Freight in the US that has quite a selection as well

FJmonkey

If I can get a good sample or drawing I can make some on a lathe I have access too.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Old Rider

You can bend the pedal out a little, but be careful so nothing brakes.I did that on the fj100 i had before after it had fallen over and the pedal made a hole in the clutch cover pouring oil out.
Had a look on the pic of you bike in the other post and it seems the pedal is bent it also looks to be sitting to high .I like to have the pedal lower because of a injury in leg but that also lessens the chance that it will punch a hole in clutchcover if bike fall over

ribbert

Quote from: Reloader on November 09, 2021, 04:27:58 PM
Red,

That is pure genius with the brass tubing, but as it turns out I have some Delrin stock that can be used. Just didn't think about it because it was out of sight, and therefore, at my age, out of memory!!

Pict,

Another great idea using the shim material, might use that if the Delrin proves to be a problem.

Thanks to all.

You might find shim material not particularly suitable for that application. If you're really limited for options, you can use your drill press like a lathe. I use an engineers drill vice bolted to the press table as a solid point from which to rest/pivot the tools used to form the outside and secure the job in the chuck with an adjustable ream, the inside is just drilled.

I had a small lathe for decades that was used almost entirely for making bushes and cleaning up shafts but sold it a few years back. I've since made some bushes on the drill press but the best advice is to take up the offer of anyone you know with a lathe. A hobby lathe owner will leap at the chance to show off his skills, a shop owner would make one so fast he's unlikely to have the heart to charge you and hope you return sometime with a job that he can.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

Quote from: ribbert on November 10, 2021, 07:26:31 AM
A hobby lathe owner will leap at the chance to show off his skills, a shop owner would make one so fast he's unlikely to have the heart to charge you and hope you return sometime with a job that he can.

Noel

That's what I've found too Noel  :good2:
Dean

Millietant

Quote from: Millietant on November 10, 2021, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: ribbert on November 10, 2021, 07:26:31 AM
A hobby lathe owner will leap at the chance to show off his skills, a shop owner would make one so fast he's unlikely to have the heart to charge you and hope you return sometime with a job that he can.

Noel

That's what I've found too Noel  :good2:

The shop owner is now my pal who makes little things for me - and I've put other people his way with bigger better paying jobs.
Dean

Carson City Paul

Quote from: Reloader on November 09, 2021, 04:27:58 PM
Red,

Pict,

Thanks to all.

I will have to take a close look at the side plate on my bike to see exactly what your dealing with. When I install a bushing to repair a worn bore I open the bore up a little. 2 reasons, 1- it makes the bore uniform and round 2 - i y allows for a little thicker material on the bushing so it doesn't wear through as fast. You might consider using bronze instead of brass, it has a better wear quality.

I have a small lath and would be happy to do this for you. It would be best if you sent me the side cover so I could do a proper repair. Again, let me look at my bike to see what I will be dealing with first.

RPM - Robert

He is in Nova Scotia, Paul. At least I presume, that is what Nova means.

Anyways, shipping the rear set over would cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately, it would likely be cheaper for him to just pay the set up fee and have it made locally.