News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Air inlet scoop

Started by Starquest, October 11, 2021, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starquest

Hi. I'm looking for right side air inlet scoop for 1986 fj. Thanks. Thanks

Starquest

Doesn't have to be perfect. I lost mine when I was riding two weeks ago. I made a plastic template for now but I need to move some air to the cylinder head.

Starquest

I have to make a template out of plastic to cover the hole. Nobody has a used air inlet scoop with air duct? Doesn't has to be the same color or to be perfect. For 1986.

red

Starquest,

I do not have what you need, sorry.  Still, I believe that air scoop is important to good engine cooling. 

Until you find that part, if it was my bike, I would fabricate the needed air scoop itself from aluminum sheet, and channel the air to where it needs to go.  Since that is a high-temp location, for the air channel I would use an aluminum-foil "clothes-dryer" hose (or two) of a similar size as the original, squashed down to an oval shape, to fit under the tank.  For the air channels, just copy the form of the other side, in mirror-image.  You may need to lift the gas tank, to get the air channels set into place  HTH.

Happy hunting, of course.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Starquest

Yes, I will. Thanks. I think new is like $200 and a good used one from Europe like $100.

andyoutandabout

I had exactly the same dilemma when I first got my 86 back in 2005. Tried to make something, but it proved more trouble than it was worth. I found a box full of scoops at a recycle store in Rancho Cordova, which is a place where pretty much all reused bits come from. Its like the entire town just breaks up cars and bikes. Can't remember the name of the actual store, but I'm sure if you googled bike breakers at Rancho Cordova California, suggestions would come up. You'll probably have to email in a request. I got several parts from this region long before a discovered this web forum or bothered with Ebay.
Happy Hunting
life without a bike is just life