News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New Hip Progress

Started by Millietant, December 21, 2021, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

Some great news today.......I have a provisional date for my "Total Hip Replacement" surgery - 4th February 2022.

The only factor influencing this is the availability of my bespoke prosthesis, but unless something goes wrong in the supply chain (or the hospital staff call in sick), it's pretty much a guaranteed date.

Today I found out a bit more about the background for my bespoke prosthesis - not only is the pelvis side of my left hip socket all out of shape (just like the femur side), but my left leg is 4cm (1 and 1/2 inches) shorter than my right leg and the current wait for treatment because of hospital overload (staff sickness absence/isolation levels) since the start of the pandemic, has caused my left leg muscles, particularly my thigh muscle, to reduce noticeably in both size and strength (due to the lack of use, with me both "favouring my right side" when walking and also using a crutch).

So there's extra risk of back problems when they correct my left leg length with the femoral section replacement (my back will have developed to cope with the unequal length legs, over time) but that's a chance I'm willing to take. The real surprise to me was that 20 years ago i was told that my left leg was apparently only 20mm shorter than my right - not sure how this extra difference has come about, but the consultant didn't seem surprised.

Fingers crossed this means I should be fit for the bulk of our riding season next year. Liz and I have already set up a home gym (static spin bike, cross trainer, loose weights, bench (flat + incline) kettle bells etc....and a nice big Smart TV) for our son's physio exercises, but it looks like I'll be in there a lot for my recovery too, to build up strength around the joint to help prevent dislocations (another risk for the type of replacement I'm having).To be honest, I can't wait to be able to get in there and get started properly.

I also can't wait to get off these bl**dy painkillers !!!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

Good news Dean....in the interim, can orthodontics provide you temporary help on the 4cm difference?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

red

Quote from: Millietant on December 21, 2021, 07:15:08 PMSo there's extra risk of back problems when they correct my left leg length with the femoral section replacement (my back will have developed to cope with the unequal length legs, over time) but that's a chance I'm willing to take. The real surprise to me was that 20 years ago i was told that my left leg was apparently only 20mm shorter than my right - not sure how this extra difference has come about, but the consultant didn't seem surprised.
Dean,

One man at work had one short leg, from a war.  He had one shoe with a thicker heel and sole than you need.  I would not think it wise to fully compensate for the entire difference for you now, because of the upcoming repair, but some compensation (~2cm?) may be helpful.  Check with the experts there, of course.

Best wishes.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Millietant

When the difference was 2cm it wasn't felt necessary, but now it's so much more, I'm going to see what can be done footwear-wise to help in the short term  :good2:
Dean

Millietant

Quote from: red on December 22, 2021, 08:31:19 AM
Quote from: Millietant on December 21, 2021, 07:15:08 PMSo there's extra risk of back problems when they correct my left leg length with the femoral section replacement (my back will have developed to cope with the unequal length legs, over time) but that's a chance I'm willing to take. The real surprise to me was that 20 years ago i was told that my left leg was apparently only 20mm shorter than my right - not sure how this extra difference has come about, but the consultant didn't seem surprised.
Dean,

One man at work had one short leg, from a war.  He had one shoe with a thicker heel and sole than you need.  I would not think it wise to fully compensate for the entire difference for you now, because of the upcoming repair, but some compensation (~2cm?) may be helpful.  Check with the experts there, of course.

Best wishes.

Yeah, there isn't a plan to add 4cm to bring my legs back to equal - the discussions have been around gaining 2cm maximum back through this surgery.

For almost 40 years of my life, the difference of up to 2cm didn't really cause me any issues at all.

It's interesting but since mentioning this to a couple of people I see regularly when I'm out walking the dog, they both said that the way I walk always made them think my left leg was a lot shorter than my right - they say they only really noticed it when spotting me from a distance, and that up-close, they couldn't tell.
Dean

Greenlander

Quote from: Millietant on December 22, 2021, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: red on December 22, 2021, 08:31:19 AM
Dean,

Best wishes.

Yeah, there isn't a plan to add 4cm to bring my legs back to equal - the discussions have been around gaining 2cm maximum back through this surgery.

For almost 40 years of my life, the difference of up to 2cm didn't really cause me any issues at all.

It's interesting but since mentioning this to a couple of people I see regularly when I'm out walking the dog, they both said that the way I walk always made them think my left leg was a lot shorter than my right - they say they only really noticed it when spotting me from a distance, and that up-close, they couldn't tell.
Hello Dean,
You certainly have the textbook signs and symptoms of a worn out hip joint. I've rehabed many a hip during my 26 years working in Physical therapy and have observed a few surgeries. You are right that 2 cm is the max the femur can be lengthened due to putting to much stretch on the soft tissue in particular the sciatic nerve and femoral artery,risking complications.
Also a lot of times leg length discrepancy is caused by pelvic misalignment causing back and hip pain and often correctable with proper physical therapy.  But you being bone on bone obviously need a THR. You can do preop partial or non WB exercises to minimize loss of strength .
Hang in there until February .
Cheers,Hans
Keep the rubber side down
1975 Harley 250 (Cagiva ) fun but unreliable. Sold After 6 M
1975 Honda CB 550 fun and reliable,sold
1980 Suzuki GS 850 daily driver,weekends.Very dependable. Sold for the FJ in 89
1984 FJ 150K of year round (fun)commute in SoCal

giantkiller

Different. But somewhat the same. I had gone into double knee replacement thinking i was going to be taller. He was going to straighten my extremely bowed legs. But couldn't completely straighten them due to ligaments being too loose on one side and too tight on the other.  Plus I had worn over an inch off the bones on the left side. So he had to shorten the right..even though he straightened my legs I came out shorter.
Plus I don't know how you straight legged guys deal with no room for your package. First time I walked with straight legs. I thought he did something wrong and my stuff had swollen massively.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Pat Conlon

That's because it was your package that caused your legs to bow......
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Flynt

Quote from: giantkiller on December 22, 2021, 05:02:34 PM
Plus I don't know how you straight legged guys deal with no room for your package. First time I walked with straight legs. I thought he did something wrong and my stuff had swollen massively.

I think this is what the Hipsters call Big D!ck Energy...
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Ted Schefelbein

I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

ribbert

Different. But somewhat the same. I had gone into double knee replacement .....

Yeah, I feel your pain Dan, I had a knee replaced last year and now probably need the other one done, as you can see from the xray.

[Moderator EDIT - Image removed, does not comply with Terms of Service]

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

:sarcastic: :sarcastic: :lol: :lol:
Hope you heal well and quick Dean!
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Waiex191

Best wishes for a good outcome Dean!
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Dads_FJ

Quote from: ribbert on December 23, 2021, 04:45:36 AM
Different. But somewhat the same. I had gone into double knee replacement .....

Yeah, I feel your pain Dan, I had a knee replaced last year and now probably need the other one done, as you can see from the xray.

[Moderator EDIT - Image removed, does not comply with Terms of Service]

Noel

Copyright infringement?  Now I'm curious what TOS was violated.
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

FJmonkey

Quote from: Dads_FJ on December 23, 2021, 06:15:02 PM
Copyright infringement?  Now I'm curious what TOS was violated.

I sent a PM.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side