News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Ignitor box test

Started by OzDamo, January 04, 2022, 05:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzDamo

Hi Fellas

I'm going through my rough FJ trying to get it started.

The igniter box looks damaged and has been sealed with silicone by a previous owner.

Is there a way to bench test it to make sure its OK?

cheers
Damo

fj1289

I'd hazard a guess it is still good - otherwise it would have been thrown away instead of someone trying to repair the case.  

My 89 had a whole corner broken out of the case - ran that way for 14+ years for me until I replaced the entire ignition system.  

I assume you don't have spark?
See if the ignition module is getting power and has a good ground.  
See if the coils are getting good power and have a good ground.  

***** You are planning a new frame, etc for this project .... I assume a new wiring harness also?!

If you do not plan using the stock wiring harness in the final project - you may have a MUCH EASIER time making a "minimum wiring harness" like used in the legends cars: 
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=15285.msg154588#msg154588
Or
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=16278.0

My line of thought is who knows the condition of the stock harness - or what may have been hacked up while the frame was getting hacked up!  Just cut your losses, make a simple minimalist harness and see if it runs.  Then start your component troubleshooting if needed.  You could be a victim of something as simple as a botched side stand safety switch removal or other harness mod done incorrectly. 

OzDamo

I current have nothing working.

The current condition of the wiring is F'd up. Ive just stripped all the sheaths off so I can follow it. That was hiding a lot of sins by the previous owner. 

Thanks for the link for that minimum wiring. I was trying to work that out myself. That was just what I needed.

Yes, custom frame and wiring. But for now I'd just like to get it running with what I've got.

I really just want to blip the throttle and hear that lovely noise.

OzDamo

Quote from: fj1289 on January 04, 2022, 05:53:35 PM
I'd hazard a guess it is still good........

My 89 had a whole corner broken out of the case - ran that way for 14+ years for me until I replaced the entire ignition system....... 

I'm glad you posted this. So I just assumed that the box would be OK. It was.

I finally got the starter motor running and then with a squirt of "Start Ya bastard" it made the most glorious sound.

cheers
Damo

fj1289

Excellent!   :yahoo:

Probably about as well as you will do until the carbs are THOROUGHLY cleaned.  But, you've proved to yourself you have a runner!   :drinks: