News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Vista-Cruise - has anybody modified the internal diameter

Started by FJSpringy, March 12, 2009, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJSpringy

I have just installed one of these (described in another post ) and my main issue (apart from all my personal ones :) ) is that when unlocked the the throttle tube still binds very marginally not enough to impair function but enough to annoy my pedantic it should be right personality.

If I loosen the grub screw, it makes a small improvement but then the throttle lock is not tight enough to lock the throttle.

The unit is fitted square and is equally spaced around the tube so it is not a case of bad fitting causing it to bind in a particular spot.

I was thinking of modifying (relieving) the internal diameter but my thoughts on this is that I would have to tighten the grub screw and be back in the same problem.

Any body had the same issue and either fixed it or just lives with it :)

thanks

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

92 FJ1200

Yamifj1200

Try wrapping your throttle tube with a piece of emory cloth and move the throttle back and forth to make clearance.  If you notice the wings that make contact with he throttle tube are not perfectly round. Once the throttle lock fits the throttle tube properly it wont take much force to hold the throttle in place and should allow enough clearance for the throttle tube to move freely with it in the off position.. HTH

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Arnie

Springy,

Check that the 'flange' of the grip isn't hitting the vistacruise body.  On mine I've had to cut that flange down a bit.

Arnie

FJSpringy

Thanks, I will give it ago :)

I also just this minute finished re greasing the throttle, first time in 4 or 5 years and that has improved things somewhat.
I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

92 FJ1200

FJSpringy

Quote from: Arnie on March 12, 2009, 06:51:40 PM
Springy,

Check that the 'flange' of the grip isn't hitting the vistacruise body.  On mine I've had to cut that flange down a bit.

Arnie

Hi Arnie,

I actually modified the Vista unit to clear the grip flange as I have heated grips and didn't want to chop them up , i have a picture of what i did in my other post on Vista.

Its a simple problem that they could easily fix

Dave
I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

92 FJ1200

rlucas

I had the same problem. Get it to fully lock and not "creep" off vs. no binding when it's off. I never solved it.

Consigned to the "bad idea" bin. AKA, the trash. I went with a Throttle Rocker on both road bikes, and I'm much happier. There's also a functional trick with a big, yellow Caterpillar O-ring. I'm sure someone here can supply details.

Rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

racerman_27410

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on March 12, 2009, 06:48:26 PM
Try wrapping your throttle tube with a piece of emory cloth and move the throttle back and forth to make clearance.  If you notice the wings that make contact with he throttle tube are not perfectly round. Once the throttle lock fits the throttle tube properly it wont take much force to hold the throttle in place and should allow enough clearance for the throttle tube to move freely with it in the off position.. HTH

Eric M

+1   it works to shape the inner of the VC to the throttle tube shape

i could ride without my vista cruise..... its not meant to use continually but for taking a rest with your right hand it cant be beat.

Kookaloo!

Frank