News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Kevin from Maryland

Started by FJ_Kevin, July 02, 2010, 06:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ_Kevin

Hi Guys,

Kevin here from Maryland. Although I have posted a couple of times already I was waiting to get a few pictures together before introducing myself. I am returning to the FJ fold having purchased not one ...drumroll please... but two(!) FJ1200's this spring.

I am actually returning to FJ ownership after a very long period without one (you know...wife, kid, work, yada yada). My last FJ was a '85 FJ1100 I bought 2nd hand in the fall of 1985 (I was 24!). I had it for about a year before it was stolen.  Then 2 years later the cops found it in NE Baltimore... it was returned to me in boxes, with a lot of parts missing.  I am pleased to say they really threw the book at the prick who stole it (Apparently the judge was a motorcyclist himself!).   Over time I collected the missing parts and put it back together.

Here is a photo of me and my FJ1100 in 1989 after I had it on the road again (lets hope this works)

I sold it a couple of years later when my daughter came along.  Then I tinkered with a few old sports cars. Eventually I got the itch for another motorcycle.  I wasn't really sure if I would enjoy it like in the old days so I picked up a BMW on the cheap off craigs list.  Although I have it setup pretty well now it is still quite primative compared to my old FJ.  Here's the photo of the BMW before heading out to vintage bike day.

While looking on craigs list for BMW parts, I found another BMW R100RS basket case. It's still in the basket I am afraid but one day I will finish it.  While looking for more R100RS parts, I came across a benelli that needed a home (it reminded me of an old Gilera I once had).
Here is the 1967 Benelli 250

I like ducatis, motoguzzi's and some of the sports bikes, but truth be told, I just can't ride the new era sports bikes.  So every once in awhile I would take a look for an FJ in my area, one thing I noticed is you can get a pretty nice FJ for modest money. The 1st one I bought had 15K mile on it. It needed some attention but not too bad overall. Soon after another one turned up that was even cheaper and had the Givi luggage... so I bought that one too!

Here is FJ1 after I moved the luggage over from FJ2

Obviously you can see I haven't changed a bit from 1989.

OK... so just two more pictures so you can have a peek at FJ2 and the barn I do all my work in.

and the moto barn.

I am going to keep FJ1 pretty stock I think and setup for sport touring/commuting ... we will have to see what happens to FJ2!

Finally, I have been enjoying all the banter, tips and great information on this forum. I also really enjoy the member pictures which is why I posted so many (maybe too many!). Hopefully I will find some time to attend a rally or some other event!

Kevin

MyOwnFJ1200

welcome Kevin

this group is a wealth of info. Glad you found us . I like the pics of your older bikes too

Brian from Kalama, WA
89 FJ1200
84 FJ1100

FJ Flyer

Welcome Kevin.  I'm south of Annapolis, if you want to ride or need some assistance.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

carsick

Kevin,
  Nice introduction! Excellent pics too. Welcome back to FJ land. You have created the hoped for barn envy. I may have to post a pic of my plywood sheet in the yard I work upon for the sake of balance. But hey- nice bikes there! Definite class.
Doug
P.S- You look like you're going to the prom with your FJ in that first one. You could do worse, eh?

Klavdy

G'Day Kev,
Maryland eh?
Dunno if I've ever been to Maryland, hmmm.
Good, keep posting,especially the pics.
What's the riding like around your parts?
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

FJ Flyer

Klav,
We plan to post border guards if you are sighted in any neighboring states. 
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

Yamifj1200

Kevin, welcome to the group. Lots of good folks here and tons of information. If you get the chance attend a rally and meet some of these folks.

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Dan Filetti

Live hardy, or go home. 

Klavdy

Quote from: FJ Flyer on July 03, 2010, 07:51:17 AM
Klav,
We plan to post border guards if you are sighted in any neighboring states. 

I couldn't remember if Maryland was where the chickens came from or the turkeys.
Thanks for reminding me.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

Travis398

:drinks:

welcome the group Kevin, looks like you have more projects than barn.   :scratch_one-s_head:

no worry, you can build an addition  :good:

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJ Flyer

Quote from: Travis398 on July 03, 2010, 06:11:45 PM
:drinks:

welcome the group Kevin, looks like you have more projects than barn.   :scratch_one-s_head:

no worry, you can build an addition  :good:

Be careful, we'll peck your eyes out...
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

racerman_27410

Nice old bikes Kevin..... sweet find on the two FJ's..... i love the way they carry you  along without worry about what the road throws at you... touring ? no problem...... scratch down a twisty road?  you bet..... a few well integrated mods and they are easily integrated into this century  :good2:

sweet man cave !

KOokaloo!

Frank