News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Fuel pump replacement

Started by Paul Dodge, March 12, 2009, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dodge

Hi Folks, I have a 90  FJ (my second 90) I bought it in early 07.It hadn't run in several years so off came the carbs & they were NASTY!! Cleaned them and got it running but i noticed that the pump ran all the time! I've always had some issues with the idle so a couple of week ago i took the bike to a shop for a look-see.Frank commented on the pump running all the time and said that might be part of the idle problem. He looked up the price on an OEM pump----$475!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say i took another path.I called Green's Salvage in Kentucky (1-270-879-8979)and got a used pump from a FZR600 for $80.00 including shipping. Mounted it Sunday and it works just fine. The two ports are different than the old pump so i had to reroute one fuel line. The old pump has a plastic end cap on it thats held in place by a single screw,so  i removed the cap. There is a set of points in there and they were FRIED!!!!! I'm sure i'm not the first to do this but thought i'd pass this info on anyway. I haven't had a chance to really put many miles on the ole gal since i swapped out the pumps,but i don't antcipate any problems! I'll keep ya posted. Paul (mosickledude)

racerrad8

Paul,
      Glad to hear it worked out for you. I responded to you on the yahoo site with aftermarket pump part numbers that would have worked for you. I checked the price of the Airtex pump and it looks like it can be picked up for under $50.00.

Keep that in mind if you find yourself needing another pump.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Yamifj1200

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 12, 2009, 10:43:13 PM
Paul,
      Glad to hear it worked out for you. I responded to you on the yahoo site with aftermarket pump part numbers that would have worked for you. I checked the price of the Airtex pump and it looks like it can be picked up for under $50.00.

Keep that in mind if you find yourself needing another pump.

Randy - RPM

Yep the airtex works fine, and it will fit in the stock holder just fine. Thanks again Randy ya saved my ride to Indy last year with that info...

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Paul Dodge

Hi Fellas,i'll keep the Airtex pump in mind,as i recall that was a NAPA part----right?? Does it shut off the fuel flow when shut off? Weather is starting to warm up in this part of the country (south central Indiana)

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Paul Dodge on March 13, 2009, 05:45:39 PM
Hi Fellas,i'll keep the Airtex pump in mind,as i recall that was a NAPA part----right?? Does it shut off the fuel flow when shut off? Weather is starting to warm up in this part of the country (south central Indiana)

I got my airtex as I remember at a local Advance Auto store. It is a piston pump not a diaphram pump and it does stop the fuel flow when the key is turned off. I just removed the mounted fuel fliter and added some fuel line to make it work. It fits easily under the side cover in the stock location and it cost alot less than the stock pump. I have had mine installed for the past 6 months, no problems at all so far.... HTH

Eric M

andyb

How much power can the Airtex pump support?  Am going to be looking to upgrade mine relatively soon, but I want a good bit of headroom on the flow.

Yamifj1200

Quote from: andyb on March 13, 2009, 10:17:33 PM
How much power can the Airtex pump support?  Am going to be looking to upgrade mine relatively soon, but I want a good bit of headroom on the flow.

If you can get the part number from Randy, Im sure you can access the specs online. I dont remember the particulars, but its working fine on my stock 91 motor..

Eric M

racerrad8

The pump has a 30 gph flow rate that is high enough that we use them on our racecars. We road race on big tracks at wide open and we have never had a fuel supply problem. In fact we use between four and five gallons during a 35-40 minute timed track session with our basically stock FJ power plants & carbs.

Here are the specs:
Airtex - ES8016S
2.5-4.5 PSI
30 GPH
5/16" hose fittings

It is a solenoid pump that stops fuel flow when no electrical source is activated.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM