News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Northeast Rally route

Started by Bob, July 06, 2010, 06:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I'm looking at a scenic route from Ontario to West Bethel, Maine.  I'd cross over at I-81, and Google Maps shows a route through Lake Placid, crossing Lake Champlain on the Burlington-Port Kent ferry.  The ferry takes an hour, and runs every 80 minutes.  Missing it would suck.
So, roughly: I-18, NY-26, US-11, NY-58, NY-3, NY-58, NY-86, NY-9N, NY-373, Ferry, I-89, US-2, I-93, US-3, US-2
http://tiny.cc/bgooi

Sound good?  Anything I should change?

The return trip would be a simple highway ride through Montreal.

Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

markmartin

Quote from: Bob on July 06, 2010, 06:06:14 AM
I'm looking at a scenic route from Ontario to West Bethel, Maine.  I'd cross over at I-81, and Google Maps shows a route through Lake Placid, crossing Lake Champlain on the Burlington-Port Kent ferry.  The ferry takes an hour, and runs every 80 minutes.  Missing it would suck.
So, roughly: I-18, NY-26, US-11, NY-58, NY-3, NY-58, NY-86, NY-9N, NY-373, Ferry, I-89, US-2, I-93, US-3, US-2
http://tiny.cc/bgooi

Sound good?  Anything I should change?

The return trip would be a simple highway ride through Montreal.

Hi Bob,
I just returned from a family vacation and hapened to drive Route #2 through Bethel, Me. to Montpelier Vt..  This stretch of road was all good except for two, 1 mile? stretches of road construction just west of Bethel. No waits in construction traffic, just those two slow dirt road/construction sections.

Your route shows you going down I-93 at St Johnsbury Vt. to Littleton NH then back up to  #2---I stayed right on route #2 the entire way to Montpelier Vt..  Google shows this route (staying on #2) as taking 4 minutes longer than than going down I-93, so they are about the same time wise.  Just an option for you.  I don't know how the road is on the I-93 leg---just saying #2 was good all the way.

That's the full report from here.  Happy trails and see you in Bethel.

carsick

Bob,
I can only comment on the VT portion. If you're looking to make time, then your current route is it. If you want some interesting sights and a few corners stick with    Rte. 2 out of Burlington, VT and stay on it to Bethel. Maybe 1/2 hour longer but ten times more interesting. Once you clear Williston east of Burlington it's a nice 2 lane ride. Either route stop in Montpelier on State St. to get a pic of the FJ in front of our capitol building.
Mark, you were 5 minutes from me on Rte. 2!! Maybe next time...
Doug