News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Chains

Started by Davetammy, February 08, 2009, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davetammy

Does anyone have an opinion on chains?Which brand or type ie:x-ring or some other type?I will be looking for a chain soon as part of the general change to the FJ from standard to silly!Dave :)
FJ1200/92 Hayabusa1300/2007

racerman_27410

Quote from: Davetammy on February 08, 2009, 04:13:09 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on chains?Which brand or type ie:x-ring or some other type?I will be looking for a chain soon as part of the general change to the FJ from standard to silly!Dave :)

the EK ZZZ rated chain is the strongest tensile strength rated chain available.... my 1349 motor has not been able stretch it    8)

Marsh White

The gold DID ZVM is the best chain for my money - strong as hell and pretty too!   ;D

mst3kguy

frank,

is the ek zzz considered even better than the did zvm (or whatever the did is)?

Quote from: racerman_27410 on February 08, 2009, 06:44:39 PM
Quote from: Davetammy on February 08, 2009, 04:13:09 PM

the EK ZZZ rated chain is the strongest tensile strength rated chain available.... my 1349 motor has not been able stretch it    8)
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

n8man1068

I'm in the market for a new chain and sprockets as well. The FJ feels like a locomotive chugging to a stop.
1985 FJ1100
Factory Pro Stage 1 kit
Vance and Hines SS2-R
RaceTech fork springs
Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat
'86 FJ1200 gas tank

racerman_27410

Quote from: mst3kguy on February 09, 2009, 05:00:58 PM
frank,

is the ek zzz considered even better than the did zvm (or whatever the did is)?

Dean,

i have run three DIDZVM chains and they all stretched pretty quickly.... granted i am not the greatest on chain maintenance but i do lube it once in awhile and try to keep it clean.

so far i have over 5000 miles on this new ZZZ chain (installed it with the new motor) and i have not had to adjust it once..... not even after first running it which is unusual considering my past experience with chains and the fact i have been known to let 115ft/lb Brutus eat and IMO if a chain can resist that its a good chain.

the advertised tensil rating is higher than the ZVM  but slightly more expensive

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_23_27&products_id=93

but if it last as as it appears to be then it will be worth every penny.

KOokaloo!

Frank

n8man1068

Have you tried the EK screw type connector? Looks pretty slick.

Any links for sprockets? Not sure if this board has prefered vendors as well.
1985 FJ1100
Factory Pro Stage 1 kit
Vance and Hines SS2-R
RaceTech fork springs
Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat
'86 FJ1200 gas tank