News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Howdy from Jersey

Started by BenInJersey, July 13, 2010, 10:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenInJersey

Just wanted to say "Hello." I'm Ben from New Jersey, USA.

I bought my first FJ at the Mainz Kastel PX in Weisbaden, (then) West Germany in March, 1989. I was stationed at Lee Barracks in Mainz, FRG at the time. In my thirty months spent in Germany, I put 24,000 or so miles on her. I went as far south as Genoa, Italy, as far East as Barcelona, Spain and as far north as Copenhagen, Denmark. I rode pretty much year round, despite having a fairly dependable 1980 BMW 320c that I bought off a local the year before.

I had ridden for three years and owned a few bikes before I enlisted (a '71 CB 350 Honda was my first bike) and initially I wanted a Harley Heritage softail. Surely the 'great' American motorcycle company would offer deals to service members stationed overseas, right? Well, the Harley dealer had no bikes at the PX. None. They wanted half the cost of the bike down and then informed me they would ship it from Milwaukee and I'd have it in 3-5 months. $6,000 and I'd have it in September? I walked over to the Yamaha dealer and there was a blue FJ in the showroom. Yamaha offered a .5 % financing charge to grunts with $700 bucks down. I had my knees in the breeze that Saturday.

I've had a few bikes since then, but this February I won an '86 on Ebay. She has 41K on her, and I've been working on various issues and riding her here and there over this summer. It's good to be back in the fold!

This is a great site and I've already learned a lot browsing your modifications forum.

Looking forward to talking with you guys!

P.S. Where do I get that terrific color-in-the-states-you've-ridden-to avatar? Way cool.
There are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but there are no old, bold motorcyclists.

rktmanfj

Quote from: BenInJersey on July 13, 2010, 10:23:33 PM

P.S. Where do I get that terrific color-in-the-states-you've-ridden-to avatar? Way cool.

Welcome, Ben!     :good2:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=688.0

Randy T
Indy

E Double

Hey Ben, glad to have you aboard.  Where do you live in Jersey?  Perhaps we can get together for a ride soon.
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Oscar Wilde

[

BenInJersey

Thanks, Randy!

I'm in Lyndhurst, E. Almost roadworthy enough for a longer trip. Need to get some brake pads and a few other issues worked out.
There are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but there are no old, bold motorcyclists.

racerman_27410

welcome to the group brother !

86's are by far the best looking year to own  :good2:

Kookaloo!

fj1289

Welcome .. back!

Soon after roadworthy comes modifications!   :yahoo:

Chris

E Double

Quote from: BenInJersey on July 13, 2010, 10:45:03 PM
Thanks, Randy!

I'm in Lyndhurst, E. Almost roadworthy enough for a longer trip. Need to get some brake pads and a few other issues worked out.

Let me know when you're up and running.  I'll make a run up the parkway/turnpike and we can perhaps head up into southern New York.

Cheers,

Dennis
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Oscar Wilde

[

rktmanfj

Quote from: racerman_27410 on July 13, 2010, 11:05:29 PM
welcome to the group brother !

86's are by far the best looking year to own  :good2:

Kookaloo!

Maybe if you repaint 'em...       :bomb:

Randy T
Indy

weymouth399

Paint them any color you want, as long as it's red & white. Three years of red & white can't be all wrong.
Red & silver are pretty, the black ones are nice. Then they went a little gay towards the end, pinks & teals
Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Yamifj1200

Quote from: weymouth399 on July 14, 2010, 09:27:01 PM
Paint them any color you want, as long as it's red & white. Three years of red & white can't be all wrong.
Red & silver are pretty, the black ones are nice. Then they went a little gay towards the end, pinks & teals
Bob

FFS the late models ain't ALL pink or teal.... and if you think this is gay you have quite a lot to learn. With a tad over 108,000, no one has ever told me my bike looks gay..... JMO and if they did I'd flip em off..

So there.....

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

rktmanfj

Eric,

I think Bob musta heard about Henry's pink windshield or something.       :mocking:

Randy T
Indy

weymouth399

Eric M
I'm not attacking you, just posting my opinion of color schemes.
I'm not saying it's not a good looking FJ, there all good looking. I'm saying that (Yamaha) went a little over board with the fad colors of the time. And not the only company to do so either. Your bike looks great with some of the mods you have done, and it's cool you actually ride it.
I have a 91 too as a mod project but it won't have a pink strip on it when I ride it, I'm sure of that. Again my opinion
Bob

84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Klavdy

Hey ERIC!

Yer bike looks GAY!!
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

Yamifj1200

Ah Kman, I thought you might respond so.........

ah haaaaaaaaa

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"