7 (63.6%)
20-21
1 (9.1%)
27-28
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

milehighFJ

Quote from: FeralJuggernaut on July 19, 2010, 03:46:56 PM
Is it time to build another Colorado Rally for 2011?  I'm thinking mid or late July 2011.

We've been to Gunnison and could do it again, or we can move north closer to the I-70.  Selfish in the sense that I would like to cover some new roads and see more of the state.    I'm figuring if 3 or 4 FJs show up, it is an official rally.   I think Alan is with me  in concept, so we only need 1 more, but we all know the more the merrier!

Are we tied to the KOA concept?   I think we are tied to a fire ring and dirty big drums, but I'm not seeing a KOA in the less touristy areas that also have good roads for daily loops.   Could go north to Walden and include some WY road scenery. 

Anyone in the area with suggestions, I'm eager to hear them!     Post up, we are looking at a year or less...   :mail1:

Count me in as well. There are so many options on rides. Really great choices. Lots of time to plan & make it happen.
Doug Brown

89 Yamaha FJ 1200 (16K two owner miles - purchased 10/19)
89 Yamaha FJ 1200 (14K one owner miles-Sold)
03 Suzuki Hayabusa (Bought new)
01 Kawasaki ZX-12R (Bought new-Sold)
2 90 Kawasaki ZX-11's (Sold)
86 Yamaha FJ 1200 (Bought new-Sold)
85 Yamaha FJ 1100 (Bought new-Sold)

junkyardroad

Just found this thread. So I'll jump in.

QuoteI think we are tied to a fire ring and dirty big drums, but I'm not seeing a KOA in the less touristy areas that also have good roads for daily loops.   Could go north to Walden and include some WY road scenery. 

Walden is high = cold even in July and somewhat underdeveloped in terms of civilized camping. The I-70 corridor make for busy but fast access to the best loops.  Gunnison is in the heart of some of the best riding IMOP. 

The Ouray KOA is very nice.

Wyoming really kinda sucks until you get near Jackson.

I live here and have done a lot of riding this summer, 200 to 450 mile loops. 
I would like to attend a rally in 2011.  If I can be helpful please ask. 
Scott
Silt, Colorado

Klavdy

Gunnison IS good, aye.
There's a  road, umm, "Black Canyon of the Gunnison"is it ? Beaut road, really good ride but I've never seen more deer on any other road in the U.S.

Yeah, Colorado area in June, sounds good.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

1tinindian

I'd love to take part in this too!
I will be watching this thread with great interest!
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

Klavdy

Well, lets make it happen.
Last year(I think) the Ouray to Silverton road was resurfaced with hotmix.
It is a beautiful part of the world, lovely but geez, don't they get excited when you lane split up to the front at road works and traffic lights.
Crested Butte, Slumgullion Pass (had a crappy surface last time but it should've been fixed by now)lots and lots of great roads and top views.
Where to stay and for how long?
That's a difficult one, hmmm, easy for me, but some blokes can only get a few days off.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Klavdy on September 28, 2010, 06:16:19 AM
That's a difficult one, hmmm, easy for me, but some blokes can only get a few days off.

Yea, that's a tough one. Hmmm, let me check my schedule...........

Can Henry come? I want see if he meets up with his white bread, one eyed, shaved head, 6'4" redneck friend (with a gun).....We've got to get it on video this time.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Klavdy

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 28, 2010, 01:17:08 PM
Quote from: Klavdy on September 28, 2010, 06:16:19 AM

Yea, that's a tough one. Hmmm, let me check my schedule...........

Can Henry come? I want see if he meets up with his white bread, one eyed, shaved head, 6'4" redneck friend (with a gun).....We've got to get it on video this time.

Lets recap, eh?
We'd been wallowing in the mire at the Ouray hotsprings (that was a mind bleach moment in itself)after a spirited days riding and were just cruising back to camp when we came across a long line of traffic.
Why was there such a long line of traffic?
Because of the big ass pick up truck at the front that was putting along at the speed limit, arm hanging out the window, fingers tapping in time to, no doubt,a country & western tune,great big letters all over it saying "SHERIFF" , light bars, aerials,you know, a COP CAR.

Herny comes up behind us (he'd been doing his hair or something)cogs it down and hammers past over the double yellows at a hundred plus, Pat and I, gobsmacked, gawk at each other, like WTF?
Did you see that?
Oh my god.
All this done through the medium of physical expression of course but it truly was a heroic sight, Herny blasting past a bull necked back country Deputy on a California registered bike with a license from another state.
Mind you,being that it was Pat's bike that Herny was on just adds to the awesome.
We kept riding, eventually came across a very contrite appearing Herny by the side of the road, downcast expression, being monstered by a gigantically  irate, red faced, vein bulging Deputy.

Quote : Pat " He's going to gaol, he's going to gaol"
Me: "How you gonna get your bike home then Pat"

Hill scoggin at gas stop further up the road: "Was that yer buddy back there, looks like Deputy Scott has got him good"

"Oh, Scott? He's an asshole"

Separate quotes at the gas stop, about Herny's mate, one from another copper and one from some skanky looking meth head moll that wanted to blow Gazza for $10.
Of course Gazza knocked her back when she wouldn't drop the price to $5 and a half a pack of butts.

1tinindian

I just wanted to bump this up to keep it alive.
After my ride last weekend, I think a trip to the mountains to ride with a great group of FJ owners would be the high light of my riding carreer.
I've never been out there, so I'm open to you guys that have done these rallys before.

I keep telling my wife that I need to do this before I'm physically unable to ride.
My father is my constant reminder of a mans failing heath taking away his ability to experience these sort of things... so I'm in, 100%!

Leon= Looking for his Kookaloo!
91 FJ1200

junkyardroad

Depending on the start point....

CO 141 - Gateway-Nucla-Placerville-Ridgeway.
Hwy 50,24,82,133,92  Gunnison-Salida-Twin Lakes-Aspen-Carbondale-Hotchkiss-Gunnison
Best ride in the state
CO 550,160,145,(maybe 491 to 141) Silverton-Durango-Dolores (or Dove Crk)-Placerville-Ridgeway etc.
CO 550,160,149 Durango-Pagosa-South Fork-Creed

Basing in Gunnison and riding north of I-70 is going to require more serious seat time.

Having just returned from a jaunt across Idaho, Oregon, and NorCal, (including the Willits KOA) I have to admit the Redwood highway from Crescent Jct. to Willits is tough to beat.

I work in Aspen.  Seems like $10 is a pretty good deal to me..

Mark Olson

Quote from: 1tinindian on October 04, 2010, 07:58:19 PM
After my ride last weekend, I think a trip to the mountains to ride with a great group of FJ owners would be the high light of my riding carreer.
I've never been out there, so I'm open to you guys that have done these rallys before.

I keep telling my wife that I need to do this before I'm physically unable to ride.
My father is my constant reminder of a mans failing heath taking away his ability to experience these sort of things... so I'm in, 100%!

A rally with a bunch of fj's is a great thing , listening to the roar of the group winding through the hills and mountain roads is magical and feeds your soul.

colorado is looking good for 2011.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

1tinindian

Quote from: Mark Olson on October 05, 2010, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: 1tinindian on October 04, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

A rally with a bunch of fj's is a great thing , listening to the roar of the group winding through the hills and mountain roads is magical and feeds your soul.

colorado is looking good for 2011.

That is good news, as it is an 18 hour, 1100 mile trip for me just to get out there, and I want to make sure it's going to happen so plans can be put into place!
Thanks,
Leon
91 FJ1200

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: junkyardroad on October 04, 2010, 09:52:51 PM
Depending on the start point....
CO 550,160,145,(maybe 491 to 141) Silverton-Durango-Dolores (or Dove Crk)-Placerville-Ridgeway etc.
CO 550,160,149 Durango-Pagosa-South Fork-Creed

I've done both of these routes in the past.  Good roads if you're on a Harley, or just rtouring the state, but nothing I would travel an extended distance for.  Also, road construction in the summer months can be a major PITA.

I've heard the Gunnison route is nice and north of I-70 is more entertaining, but road construction kept me from getting that far.   

DavidR.

pdxfj

I would also have about 1100-1200 mile trip to a CO rally, but would be totally worth it.  Besides.. never know who might come along.   :good2:

I'd likely ride Hwy 26 from Portland to Ontario, OR then jump on I-84 there.  Utah has some nice mountains to go through, although southern Idaho won't be much fun.

Still plenty of time to plan everything out.

1tinindian

I'd be intersted in hearing about other riders plans in attending the 2011 Rally.
What your general route might be and how you plan on getting there, (ride or trailer).

If I could join up with some folks out my way, (Iowa) then that might make a difference if I ride or haul the bike out.
A join up along the route would just add so much to the whole experience, IMO.

P.S.  Is it bad I'm getting excited about this and its still 8-9 months away? LOL!
91 FJ1200

junkyardroad

QuoteGood roads if you're on a Harley, or just rtouring the state, but nothing I would travel an extended distance for.  Also, road construction in the summer months can be a major PITA.

I've heard the Gunnison route is nice and north of I-70 is more entertaining

Generally, the curviest roads are those to and from the high passes. Find those and you are there.