News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

What to do???

Started by fjpigtobe, July 19, 2010, 11:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjpigtobe

Hey all!  My names Jevan Stacey and I live in Northern Victoria, Australia. 
I own(sort of) an FJ1100 that I am wishing to modify.  I have never been one for engines and cars in general but I like my bikes and am wanting to get my FJ back on the road.  My experience or lack of it is sure to be on display with this message but I figure you never learn if you don't put your balls on the block and admit you don't know what your talking about.

I came off the old girl about a year ago and bent forks, destroyed fairings and took the left hand side of the engine out, the extent of the damage is not 100% known, but it is surely just a repair job.  The bike rego lapst as a result however the bike was not reported as being in an accident at all and therefore is not a write off.  There appears to be no structural damage however I would like to get the frame straightened as I believe it's a good place to start.

Because I'm short on cash, and want a bike, my only real option is to get this FJ back on the road.  However I don't want it to look the way it did, I want to modify it, if I can.  I feel this will give me further knowledge about bikes and what processes are involved with building a bike.  There is sentimental feelings attached to the bike(as I came off it) and I want to use it as a base for a style of bike that I would prefer.  I basically want to bob it.  Drop the seat, put forward controls on it and basically just turn it into a pig.  I don't want it to look new in doing so I would actually prefer it to look a bit on the mad max side of things.
I have no real idea of what will be involved legally with this project or the costs involved.  If anyone has any advice or comments, they would be greatly appreciated.

Arnie

Jevan,

I think you're going to end up putting more money in this than it is worth.
Although it was not reported as an accident damaged vehicle, you've let the rego lapse so you'll have to get a RWC before you can re-reg it.
Straightening your fork tubes (if they can be safely straightened) will probably cost you at least $100.  Replacing the forks will probably cost $4-500.  IF the frame is bent, it will cost you at least $150 to have it straightened.  I would advise "Bob Martin Engineering" for both the frame and fork straightening.  I've previously used them and they were very good and very fair with the work they did for me about 15years ago.
Without some indication of what damage you've done to the engine, I can't even guess what you'll need to do to repair it.

Now, for the mods you want to do - I agree you'll make it into a pig.
How are you going to drop the seat?  I guess you could remove the airbox and move the battery, shorten the tank or put a shorter tank on to give you the ability to make the mods to the frame which would allow you to lower the seat, but what are you going to do about the upper shock mount?  BTW  If you make any frame mods you'll have to get an engineer's certificate before you can get the RWC.
I don't see any major problems with making and mounting forward controls, as long as you are a competant metal worker, but you'll also have to also bring the handlebars way back or you'll be all folded up when riding.

As I said when starting this, I thlink you're not being realistic here.
I can't imagine you being able to repair and fabricate and certificate what you claim you want for less than A$1,000 and probably significantly more.  You can buy a bike with RWC for less than that and none of the headaches you're bound to run into with this plan.

Cheers,
Arnie

PS  More than happy to discuss this with you, if you like.  I'm near Geelong.

fjpigtobe

Arnie,
Awesome response mate!
My intension was firstly to get it on the road, stock. Then muck around after that.  Probably niavely hoping I could mod after that, and just not let vicroads(or whoever) know.
Forks are noticably bent and although I need to assess further, I think I'd just prefer to go buy some.  I've (the bikes at my old mans, cause it was his bike) got to go and check the triple trees too, to see if any paint is cracked.  I came off the bike after my mrs left....I say that cause the old man collected the bike and with in a week or so had stripped it down and was checking out damage...so I haven't witnessed all the parts actually coming off the bike, which is frustrating. Looking at the bike was the last thing I wanted to be doing at that time. So I'll be saying "I don't know" or "i'll have to check" a far bit if we're in further contact.

Anyway.....
I'm sure the frame will be right, I just thought of it a bit like a house- no point doing a reno if your house needs restumping first. I think I'd put it back together and try and use a plum bolt(or something) before I went ahead with, or thought it needed straightening.

The engine has had the cover on the left-hand side taken off, I need to check if bolts were stripped in casing but all the starter "stuff" does need replacing. Other than that, engine should be fine.  Prior to crash I had had the second gear done and put new tyres on it.  Without close inspection I believe I'll be replacing the front wheel.

I imagined that I would move the battery, to where I don't know. 
I noticed that as the main frame angles down(underseat) a smaller tube goes back more horizontal to which the seat in mounted.  I thought I could cut that out and sit more on that main frame, height wise.  Hadn't really thought about shock mount to be honest so will have to look into that.

Really just want a bike for local rides and no massive runs, so comfort is not really a high priority.
You might be right on how realistic this idea is and I'll keep that in mind. 
I'm not stressed about the money, as long as the costs are smart, like for safety reasons (like forks or wheel).  But I do want to use as must of the original parts as I can, despite what it will look like.  Happy with a couple of grand though. 
I was originally going to buy another fj for around $1500 and use the best parts from each bike, but I figured it might be less to just go over this one(pre-mods).  If I could have it modified for that too I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.  If it costs a more..fuckin ey!
Not stressed about financial worth, if I only valued it in terms of money I probably wouldn't do any mods at all, I'm not building it to sell it.
I may be niave but I'm looking to learn about bikes and have something to keep me occupied.  The process and the end result will be the pay off.
I thought I'd leave the tank as is and design my own cowls and fairing depending on what look I decided on.  Not sure what to do about dash, have seen one online with instrumentation in the top of the tank.(i know, big dollars there)
I can picture what I want in my head but I haven't yet got an understanding of how one thing effects the next, perfect example is the rear shock.

Thanks so must for your response Arnie. I really appreciate it, and your honesty.  You've given me a lot to think about.
-cheers, Jevan

fjpigtobe

Just been out to farm and had another look at the bike.....
Took some pics and will upload them tomorrow.

andyb

Depends on your fab skills and such really.

Figure what you want to spend, then double it.  That's almost what it'll cost to get it near where you want it ;)

fj1289

A bobber with forward controls and such may be difficult, but something like this would be more easily (and cheaply!) achieved: http://www.btinternet.com/~fj1200mods/HorstBlimSpecial/HorstsSpecial.htm

I've always thought two big headlights mounted to the front portion of the frame that wraps around the headstock would look evil.   :diablo:

Add some tubular handlebars, cut off the back half of the subframe, fashion a solo seat and shortened tail section - would definately have a mad max look!

Chris

fjpigtobe

hey all, thanks for responses.

well after checking bike out last night, I won't need to move battery.  I concure with Chris, shorten and strengthen tail section...Theres a little 'gusset' with a oval cut out directly above rack support, I'd like to shorten to that location roughly and have nothing past that point.  I'll need to side mount number plate and brake light etc somehow.  Create some sort of body work where I can put some slight padding for seat.  That will save any hassle of rear shock.  However I think forward controls could be a bit of an issue as I tried to roughly work out where I'd like my feet to sit and what I had in mind would put my feet forward of the engine and frame.
Both forks are bent I think, one definately noticable.  Forgot to check front wheel.  It wasn't in the best light but I couldn't see any cracked paint on triple tree or casing.  Bolts on left hand side have been broken off but confident with a bit of patience and luck whats left of the bolts can be removed.

Have got the impression re rego as stock could be an issue, is that right??  My thoughts were to re rego first and then modify or should I modify first? Is there any difference? I just thought once it's regoed and all legit, then I could play with it.

Thanks for link, been trolling the net for inspiration and haven't had a lot of luck.  What has turned me on and is more the look I'm going for is at this link:
FJ 1200 Fighter

how do I load pics on this thing?
-cheers

fjpigtobe

Well....is anyone able to explain how to upload pics? I can't seem to be able to get them to display..have tried from file and website and even converted to gif...nothing.

fjpigtobe

Hi, need to start hunting for some forks.  Just wondering, other than originals, whether anyone knows of any other forks(maybe superior forks) that would fit fj1100(84) exactly.  And where is a good place to start looking.  I was just going to look in just bikes but then thought how would I know they haven't been in an accident too.

On a side issue...is x-raying a wheel the only real way to be confident it's not cracked? and how much would that cost roughly?

Arnie

If you want to replace the forks with fairly minimal hassle you could look for any forks that have tubes 41mm in dia. and are the same working length as FJ forks.  You may need to re-spring them, but that's a good thing to do with stock forks too.  You could also get forks of 42 or maybe 43mm in dia and get the stock triples bored out to accept them.  Next on the hassle stakes would be to get a set of forks and the triple clamps for them, but you'll then have to deal with ignition switch mount, fork stops, steering stem length and bearings etc.
Yes, you can search "Just Bikes", or your local (or not) bike wrecker.  Some wreckers will warranty condition, but that will vary.  You'll really have to check them out yourself.

Good luck,
Arnie

fjpigtobe

hopefully got some forks. $220. Been chasing a signal generator cover(left hand side), no luck. I think maybe coz wreckers want to keep with the rest of the case..any suggestions?

weymouth399

What cover are you looking for? the ignition cover.
Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale