News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Headlight Failure

Started by tim95621, July 26, 2010, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim95621

Well, I haven't yet had time to scour the forums for an answer. I looked a bit with no success.

My head light has gone out and I don't believe it's the lamp. In the past I've had the lamp stay out after starting it, fussing with the start button caused it to come back on. This time they stayed out, with one flicker part way to work.

I'll be picking up a new lamp after work today.
I've checked the fuses.
I've taken the switch apart and cleaned it.
I'll be ordering a Service manual after work. It's brutal trying to trouble shoot an electrical issue with no wiring diagram.

Does anyone know if there's a headlight relay anywhere on the bike, and where it might be. Or, does anyone know where I can download a wiring diagram?

86 FJ1200 - Bone stock

Tim
Citrus Heights CA
86 FJ1200
Citrus Heights, CA

pdxfj

Did you take apart the Hi/Lo switch or the starter switch?

If you haven't cleaned and lubed the starter switch it can cause what you describe.

There is no relay in the system for the headlight, it runs through the wiring loom(s).  Most install relays on the headlight to get full power to the lamp directly from the battery.  Although if you poke around a bit there are some who have fitted a HID lamp for about the cost of the relay upgrade.

tim95621

I've done the start switch but not the high/low yet. I've got a manual on it's way, that should give me a few more places to look.

Tim
86 FJ1200
Citrus Heights, CA

tim95621

So I got the book, and found the problem very quickly. Just a broken wire.

Tim
86 FJ1200
Citrus Heights, CA