News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Plug leadse

Started by Jester, July 27, 2010, 07:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Can you change the plug leads on an 84 FJ1100? It looks like I have a weak spark and would like to change the leads, I took the Coils off and plug caps but it looks like the plug leads dont come out of the coils, I want to know if they do before I force them and damage the coils.

jack02

If they're the same as those on a 1200 then yes,no problem. Just expose the core of the lead,apply a tiny amount of lubricant to the outer and push firmly into the coil whilst twisting. Worked for me....

andyb

And after you cut the new wires to length, deburr the end that goes into the coils.  I use a pocketknife and just give them a tiny bevel.  The fit is tight enough that you don't need any extra aggrivation when you're doing it.  They're not easy to get dead on right (or I suck at doing it, either way).  With stranded copper cores, I found it helped to use an awl to make a tiny pilot hole of sorts to help get it started.

fj1250

Sorry to burst your bubble, the plug leads (wires) are manufactured into the coils.
You'll have to get some aftermarket coils (dyna green coils) to do withe relplacement.

MC

racerrad8

The FJ coils wires are replaceable and replacement solid core 7mm wire can be obtained at any NAPA. They are glued in from the factory and once the glue bond is broken, they will come right out.

Like Jack and Andy stated give a bevel on the end you inserting into the coil and liberally coat it with dielectric grease before installing the new wire.

Also before you install the wire, look down into the coil and you will see a "needle" or pin that pierces the center of the wire conducting the electricity. Make sure they are there and not "arced" or burned away.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

jack02

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 13, 2010, 12:47:08 AM

Also before you install the wire, look down into the coil and you will see a "needle" or pin that pierces the center of the wire conducting the electricity.....

That's right - just like the one inside the spark-plug cap,or at least that what it looks like in the murky recess of the coil. I oughtta know,having renewed the leads from my (original) coils only about three months back!