News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Speedo problems

Started by big_b, July 27, 2010, 11:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_b

I have a 1985 FJ1100 and the speedometer is now boucing like crazy when going over bumps... I have replaced the cable and drive unit ot be sure .. I am sure the speedometer is broken.. 

Can this be repaired ? (replace spring or whatever ?)

If not .. are FJ1100 and FJ1200 speedos interchangeable ? The entire cluster or just the speedo ?

Thanks!

FJmonkey

Big_b search this site for "speedometer". My 86' had a speedo problem. I had noise and the bouncing and other symptoms that only got worse as chose to do nothing about it. I ended up getting a used cluster (Fleybay) from an 85' (only 5k on the clock) and with modifications got it to fit. Do not wipe the gauge faces with alcohol to clean them, it strips the anti glare off and makes it smooth and shiny (Not good). I found two shops that would repair them but lost my notes on them, Sorry. It was not easy, very few shops that I called or emailed did not work Japanese bike stuff. Good luck and let us know what you did and how well it worked.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side