News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

fuel leaking out of over flow after carb sync

Started by courtsdaddy, August 21, 2010, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

courtsdaddy

Ok so I did the carb sync and noticed I get a bit of a backfire out of two carbs at 1500 rpms however now I have fuel leaking from the overflows.  I never had a problem with fuel until the carb sync! any thoughts? I know I have to do some more tuning to stop the backfiring but why would the gas leak now?

Arnie

Quote from: courtsdaddy on August 21, 2010, 10:28:24 AM
Ok so I did the carb sync and noticed I get a bit of a backfire out of two carbs at 1500 rpms however now I have fuel leaking from the overflows.  I never had a problem with fuel until the carb sync! any thoughts? I know I have to do some more tuning to stop the backfiring but why would the gas leak now?

My guess is that you used a "shop" tank to provide fuel while you were syncing the carbs and it was dirty.  Some of that dirt (only need one bit) got caught on one of the float needles and is preventing it from seating.  This causes the carb to overflow and could also cause your backfire.  Try tapping on the offending carb's float bowl with a screwdriver handle or dowel.  If that doesn't fix it, drain that float bowl and then turn the ignition on, it should flush the debris away.

Cheers,
Arnie

courtsdaddy

wow pulled the carbs and had a buddy pull the needle and seats, oring are wasted and I have a hole in one of the screens. Time to buy more parts!!!