News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Atlanta FJ

Started by ATL fj, March 18, 2009, 11:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATL fj

Hi all,

I've had my '87 FJ for more than 10 years but it hasn't been ridden in longer than I care to admit.  But hopefully my story will soon be a happy one, I shipped it to my friend in MI to be brought back to life.

I had an initial positive report about the teardown, clean oil, clean carbs, etc. but the first stumbling block came up so I'll need to make a decision about its future.  Hopefully I can do the low investment stuff to be sure the engine runs and go from there.  I'll post in the other areas for advice and parts.

Matt
87 FJ

gradice

G'day Matt,

You've come to the right place, welcome to the Dark Side :yahoo: :good: :drinks:
Graham in OZ...
92 FJ1200 ABS.

ATL fj

My wife won't agree.  shhhh
87 FJ

gradice

Quote from: ATL fj on March 19, 2009, 08:25:23 AM
My wife won't agree.  shhhh

Then we won't tell her, sssshhhh be berry berry quiet, we're talkin motorcyquile's....hahahahahahaha!!!!! :drinks:
Graham in OZ...
92 FJ1200 ABS.

ATL fj

I'll re-up this thread since I feel the need to re-introduce.  I finally got my FJ back in Atlanta after a complete rework by a miracle worker friend (not to mention a new tank from George B. if he remembers :hi:).  I picked her up in Knoxville and headed due South which fortunately went through Deals Gap, etc. so now I just need to make a spot in the garage.  I noticed that us129photos.com has an FJ section for the pics they take but no actual FJs, it only contained FJR's, I had to look elsewhere... oh well.

Now I will need to work on my barely existent wrenching skills to keep her in shape, first up is changing the headlight.  Thankfully the NC police didn't notice that it had burned out.
87 FJ

racerman_27410

welcome back !

now the fun begins  :good2:

Kookaloo!

Frank

Yamifj1200

Welcome to the group, there is tons of great info here and some damn fine folks. I look forward to you getting your bike back and remembering just how great these bikes still are..

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Mark Olson

welcome back,  :good2:

tis the season to wrench and modify your fj. :drinks:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Firehawk068

Quote from: Mark Olson on October 19, 2010, 02:09:46 PM

NO!
Here in AZ, tis the season for RIDING the FJ................Summer is for wrenching and moddin   :blum1:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

RichBaker

Quote from: Firehawk068 on October 19, 2010, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: Mark Olson on October 19, 2010, 02:09:46 PM

NO!
Here in AZ, tis the season for RIDING the FJ................Summer is for wrenching and moddin   :blum1:

YEP!!.... The only wrenching I specifically save for winter is valve checking/adjusting...... Only because I want the engine temp around 75 - 80F. When its 100+ out, so's the engine.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Mark Olson

well you Arizona boys have your fun and your 115 degree days. I lived in phoenix for two years and saw it snow once in January. figured hell had froze over and it was time to leave.  :diablo:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

83elite

Congrats on jumping back in! I have enjoyed the FJ (purchased last year) as much as any bike I've ever owned. What's really great is the conversations you have with folks when you're riding it. It is almost universally respected by bikers and non-bikers alike. It has SO much more character than brand new stuff.

Of course, a couple hours north of Hot 'lanta is some awfully good FJ territory.

This is a great site, very helpful folks and TONS of great information.

Welcome!
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro."

Hunter S. Thompson

Silent21

Congratulations on getting your fj back on the road.  This is a great time to get out and ride.  Post pics of your ressurected fj. 

Tim

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: 83elite on October 20, 2010, 04:59:25 PM
Congrats on jumping back in! I have enjoyed the FJ (purchased last year) as much as any bike I've ever owned. What's really great is the conversations you have with folks when you're riding it. It is almost universally respected by bikers and non-bikers alike. It has SO much more character than brand new stuff.

A few weeks back when I was in Arkansas, we rolled into the local gas station where everyone fuels up and there were 3 FJRs sitting there.  As I took off my helmet, I heard one of the riders "explaining" to the others that my bike was "an old FJR model."

I had to correct him that the FJR was a newer version of the FJ that's why it's called an F-jr (I think I stole that from Mazz).

They all came over to admire a pristine FJ while totally ignoring the bright nuclear orange CBR600RR that was parked right next to me.

DavidR.

83elite

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on October 21, 2010, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: 83elite on October 20, 2010, 04:59:25 PM

A few weeks back when I was in Arkansas, we rolled into the local gas station where everyone fuels up and there were 3 FJRs sitting there.  As I took off my helmet, I heard one of the riders "explaining" to the others that my bike was "an old FJR model."

I had to correct him that the FJR was a newer version of the FJ that's why it's called an F-jr (I think I stole that from Mazz).

They all came over to admire a pristine FJ while totally ignoring the bright nuclear orange CBR600RR that was parked right next to me.

DavidR.

F-jr. That's awesome. I'm using it!
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro."

Hunter S. Thompson