News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Live chat?

Started by andyb, September 30, 2010, 12:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyb

Don't know if it's an available option for the package you're using, but it'd be neat.

I do see a couple of packages available for it, I don't know if IRC would be an easier base to start from or a flash version or etc.  Just thought I'd bring it up, would hate to see Marsh get bored with doing so little for the site....

<runs>

:lol: :lol:

rktmanfj

Quote from: andyb on September 30, 2010, 12:13:09 PM
Don't know if it's an available option for the package you're using, but it'd be neat.

I do see a couple of packages available for it, I don't know if IRC would be an easier base to start from or a flash version or etc.  Just thought I'd bring it up, would hate to see Marsh get bored with doing so little for the site....

<runs>

Several of us are already on Skype...

Randy T
Indy

Marsh White

Quote from: andyb on September 30, 2010, 12:13:09 PM

I do see a couple of packages available for it, I don't know if IRC would be an easier base to start from or a flash version or etc.  Just thought I'd bring it up, would hate to see Marsh get bored with doing so little for the site....

<runs>

I actually thought about that when I first started this forum.  I looked into it pretty extensively and apparently they use a HUGE amount of server resources.  I figured our resources could be better spent with hosting photos in the photo gallery and growing our member base than with having live chat.  I only use Skype myself - and the PM system is pretty fast and used by A LOT of forum members here all the time.  Seems to work pretty well.  At this stage I'm very hesitant to put up a chat system.  I'm not sure it would really be used much - and it could dramatically increase my hosting costs if it is.

Personally, I'm the type of guy who immediately turned off Facebook instant chat because I didn't want people bothering me all the time!  Maybe that's just me...

andyb

Works for me, just was a thought ;)

One of these days I'll get skype on my laptop and dink about with it.

Is there a cap on how many PM's you can have?

Harvy

Quote from: Marsh White on September 30, 2010, 03:13:40 PM

Personally, I'm the type of guy who immediately turned off Facebook instant chat because I didn't want people bothering me all the time!  Maybe that's just me...

Personally, I'm the type of guy immediately turned off Facebook all together!
That has to be the most frustrating web site ever created.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

WestOzFJ

Quote from: andyb on September 30, 2010, 03:44:08 PM

One of these days I'll get skype on my laptop and dink about with it.

Is there a cap on how many PM's you can have?

There's no cap on Skype pm's and all calls to other skype users are free....

BUT, I've had serious security issues with skype within the past one year so although it was in many ways "convenient" and cost effective - especially for international conference calling, I eventually deleted it off my laptop 'cause it already wiped out the data on one hard drive including all the content from some of my websites....

rlucas

I screwed around with Skype for a while...talked to Frank and Eric on a few occasions. Works pretty well, actually.

Frankly, I see no need for a live-chat feature...then again, I don't do the whole MySpace\Facebook\Twitter thing, either. For an IT professional, I'm a frikkin' Luddite.

Rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)