News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

after 6 yrs got it running but why

Started by r.chaffin, September 28, 2010, 04:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.chaffin

Is the brake handle to hot to touch? I know all the smoke is just burning junk off from sitting. The bike is a fj 1200 1990 has 2695 miles on it. It was given to me so it wasn't sitting on my watch. Should i change the oil also? I have changed the plugs, fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, new gas, am I missing anything. Sorry to be a pain but Im use to new bikes.

thank you

Travis398

you should have changed the oil first. but yes after 6 years of sitting i would, see the new oil thread to get an idea of what you should use  (popcorn)

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

WestOzFJ

If the brake handle is too hot to touch then seems like it has caliper piston seizure or locked on for some other reason such as the small hole from the fluid reservoir to the to the piston chamber (in the master cylinder) is blocked and so it's cooking the brake fluid which eventually transfers the heat into the master cylinder body.

Jack the front wheel off the ground and check how hard it is to turn. If that little hole is blocked then cracking off a brake line will release a tell tale sign of pressure build up...

r.chaffin

Wow!!!!!  :biggrin:   Thanks to you all you guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Today will be the first day on the street. Thank you so much.