News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Drive sprocket nut size

Started by n8man1068, April 03, 2009, 05:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n8man1068

30mm or 36-37mm?

Changing the chain and sprockets, and everything is dirty! What is a safe cleaner to use?
1985 FJ1100
Factory Pro Stage 1 kit
Vance and Hines SS2-R
RaceTech fork springs
Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat
'86 FJ1200 gas tank

Yamifj1200

Quote from: n8man1068 on April 03, 2009, 05:28:38 PM
30mm or 36-37mm?

Changing the chain and sprockets, and everything is dirty! What is a safe cleaner to use?

I use an inch and 7/16'' half inch drive socket and my air impact wrench. I use brake cleaner or kerosene to clean things up prior to replacing the chain and sprockets...HTH

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

n8man1068

I'll pick up one of each in the morning.

I think I screwed the pooch though. Since I couldn't get to the front sprocket, I went ahead and ground through the chain to remove it, and took off the rear wheel. I'm reading elsewhere that you are supposed to lock up the rear wheel by using a board through the wheel spokes or so, and then remove the front sprocket nut. Is this true? If so, I think I'm hosed this time around on the front sprocket, unless I put the new chain on, then remove the front sprocket, and remove the chain again.  :dash2:
1985 FJ1100
Factory Pro Stage 1 kit
Vance and Hines SS2-R
RaceTech fork springs
'86 FJ1200 gas tank

simi_ed

Not a big deal with air tools.  Put it in 1st gear, and use your impact wrench.  It will come right off!
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Marsh White

Like Ed said, if you have an impact wrench, you should be fine.  If not, do like you said.  Why would you have to remove the chain again?  You should be able to replace the front sprocket and replace it with the chain on...tight fit...but doable...no prob.  Enough flex in the chain...

n8man1068

Got it. Ended up putting the rear wheel back on loosely, feeding the chain around the rear sprocket, and hitting it with an impact wrench (36mm).
Took it out for a quick ride to see if the chain would pop off. Seemed to do alright. Plenty of power and get'n'go still, and I feel like I don't have to be worried about gassing in corners. I put the shift lever on a bit too high, and felt like I had to pull my foot up off the stand to get it to shift. Rotated it down, but stripped the screw, so I'll be picking up another today.

Although, since it is a hollow pin chain, I'm nervous about it not being flared enough and breaking. I cranked it pretty good, but this was my 1st time changing the chain. I figure next time I do it, I can knock it out in an hour now that I have all of the tools.

Thanks all!
1985 FJ1100
Factory Pro Stage 1 kit
Vance and Hines SS2-R
RaceTech fork springs
'86 FJ1200 gas tank

rktmanfj

Yamifj1200

Quote from: n8man1068 on April 05, 2009, 08:11:56 AM
Got it. Ended up putting the rear wheel back on loosely, feeding the chain around the rear sprocket, and hitting it with an impact wrench (36mm).
Took it out for a quick ride to see if the chain would pop off. Seemed to do alright. Plenty of power and get'n'go still, and I feel like I don't have to be worried about gassing in corners. I put the shift lever on a bit too high, and felt like I had to pull my foot up off the stand to get it to shift. Rotated it down, but stripped the screw, so I'll be picking up another today.

Although, since it is a hollow pin chain, I'm nervous about it not being flared enough and breaking. I cranked it pretty good, but this was my 1st time changing the chain. I figure next time I do it, I can knock it out in an hour now that I have all of the tools.

Thanks all!

The pins on your chain are not hollow, only the very ends of the master link pins are so they can be expanded to lock the side plate to the master link.

Eric

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Dan Filetti

Quote from: rktmanfj on April 05, 2009, 08:53:47 AM

Hollow pin chain?

Randy T
Indy

Sure...  they even make them out of plastic these days...  get with the time Randy!

Dan

;)
Live hardy, or go home. 

andyb

Quote from: Dan Filetti on April 05, 2009, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: rktmanfj on April 05, 2009, 08:53:47 AM

Hollow pin chain?

Randy T
Indy

Sure...  they even make them out of plastic these days...  get with the time Randy!

Dan

;)

Sillicone, you mean.

Oh, chain.

Nevermind.