News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2007 R1 Front and Rear end........

Started by axiom-r, December 11, 2010, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuneforkfreak

Yup reading what you said about a hardware source like mcmaster car for instance,  http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=13jjijw  makes almost perfect sense. Just a quick glance at one of those ends it looks like the female end would be 100 times better than the male end that broke on you. Not that I would use either but from what your machinist buddy said it makes sense, just look at the difference in shoulder from male to female, its night and day.
Yamahas from my past,
IT465, IT200, YZ80. 350Warrior, Kodiak400, Kodiak450,
Various others include
XR600, KX500, KDX200, ATC250R, ATC350X, ATC 200S
Currently ride
FJ 1200 , DRZ400, Yamaha Viking, Suzuki Samurai dirt mobile

racerrad8

Tim would you mind sending me the broken rod end and the worn bushing(s) that are in the photos?

Or the whole thing so I can see the other rod end and those bushings as well?

I think I see a couple of couple of things on the broken joint but without being able to hold it in my hands I cannot be certain.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

mish

I have fitted a soupys adjustable rod on my bike.i'm going to use the standard cbr tie rod on mine and see how it goes.i might have to find something that gives me the same ride height as the soupys.
Tim,have you fixed your bike.

jscgdunn

On my r1 conversion I currently have a Chinese aftermarket adjustable link.  So far so good, but it is set at stock length....will change back to stock when I get the chance  (ie probably winter..which is soon).  On the bike with the CBR 600RR swing arm, I have the stock link.  It would be nice to have an adjustable one, but the aftermarket ones are set up for lowering the bike and start out stock length.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

axiom-r

Hi Randy -

Sure, I'll send the Soupy's Link to you for study however, the worn end was cut off the aluminum spacer so that it was sized right for the R1 dogbone to mount. That will have to stay here.....  Would appreciate any insight you may be able to add..... 

Mish - yes the bike is back together using the Stock 2007 R1 dogbone....  this required one of the R1 bushings (in the end of the dogbone) to be bored out to the ID of the FJ "dogbone to frame" bolt diameter....  These bushings are of hardened steel and it took a special boring bar in a real lathe to cut it.   The R1 dogbone is 7" on center and the Soupy's was set at 6.5" plus or minus a tiny bit.....    To accommodate the 7" solid aluminum R1 dogbone, I adjusted the ride height on the Penske shock bottom until the rear tire was 1/4" off the floor while the bike was on the center stand.  This resulted in about 1/2" of thread showing on the shock bottom ride height adjustment... Still well within acceptable range.

I will post some pics of what was done soon in order to keep this thread current.

Cheers!

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

jointbeaker

Hey Tim -

Are you still using the CycleOneoff fork extensions? What has been your experience with them? Still like them?

I just swapped out an 08 R1 front end on my FZ1, and need to regain some height...It looks like the price has went up from a few years ago. :)

jointbeaker

Quote from: jointbeaker on August 24, 2016, 11:31:15 PM
Hey Tim -

Are you still using the CycleOneoff fork extensions? What has been your experience with them? Still like them?

I just swapped out an 08 R1 front end on my FZ1, and need to regain some height...It looks like the price has went up from a few years ago. :)

and here's what my swap looks like, currently:

giantkiller

I still have a set of my second generation fork extensions. I had made. they have 3pinch bolts instead of just a set screw. $150+ shipping.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

jointbeaker

Hi Giantkiller -

Whats' the minimum extension length given by your parts? Looks like there's plenty of length that would extend thru the upper triple, but I guess I'd be interested in knowing the minimum length...

giantkiller

They have a 3" extension so I can slide the clippons up for touring. And slide them back down for the twisties. If you didn't want them that long you could cut them down. A quick measure with a tape. Minimum is about 9/16"- it's a 1/2" but there is a minimal taper probably won't make a difference but I thought I should include it.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

jointbeaker

Quote from: giantkiller on August 26, 2016, 12:11:06 PM
They have a 3" extension so I can slide the clippons up for touring. And slide them back down for the twisties. If you didn't want them that long you could cut them down. A quick measure with a tape. Minimum is about 9/16"- it's a 1/2" but there is a minimal taper probably won't make a difference but I thought I should include it.

I'm at work right now, so this was easy to draw up...

I'm assuming your 3" dimension is my labelled dim_03, correct?

giantkiller

86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

jointbeaker

Quote from: giantkiller on August 26, 2016, 01:27:20 PM
Yes and 01 is 1/2-9/16 "

Ok thanks. I've got something to think about then. Where abouts are you in WI?

axiom-r

Quote from: giantkiller on August 24, 2016, 11:58:47 PM
I still have a set of my second generation fork extensions. I had made. they have 3pinch bolts instead of just a set screw. $150+ shipping.

I think we talked about those once I would like to talk again!  Please PM

Jointbreaker - the Cycleoneoff units have served well...  The single set screw always makes me nervous though.  The pinch bolt approach seems like an engineering path worth taking if only for peace of mind!

Cheers!

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

giantkiller

Quote from: axiom-r on August 26, 2016, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: giantkiller on August 24, 2016, 11:58:47 PM

I think we talked about those once I would like to talk again!  Please PM

Jointbreaker - the Cycleoneoff units have served well...  The single set screw always makes me nervous though.  The pinch bolt approach seems like an engineering path worth taking if only for peace of mind!

Cheers!

tim
PM sent
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built