News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

No reserve fuel switchover

Started by WIFJ1287, April 10, 2009, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WIFJ1287

Im limited on my Fuel usage due to a bad reserve fuel switchover.
It doesnt seem to be my subtank fuel valve which seems to trigger. Internal tank issue?
Any suggestions appreciated.
C-87 FJ

racerman_27410

there is no in tank reserve..... any "reserve" on the FJ is simulated .

does your low fuel light ever come on?  there is a dry bulb inside the tank that activates that light... and also (supposedly) activates a  piston solonoid inside the fuel petcock to close off gas flow to the engine.

flipping the reserve switch does nothing more than cut power to the petcock which allows the spring loaded piston to open again allowing fuel to flow.

the system never worked worth a crap.... but the low fuel light does work.

i removed my fuel sender unit from the tank an adjusted the dry bulb (its on a wire) to activate when i have exactly one gallon of fuel remaining.

disconnect the power to your fuel petcock and you will be able to run the tank completely dry

Kookaloo!   :good2:

WIFJ1287

Ahh now thanks very much this makes a little more sense. Though I could have sworn I did run without
power to the petcock in the past but I will try this again..this season...

Huraaaah! :blum1:

scapello

i removed my fuel sender unit from the tank an adjusted the dry bulb (its on a wire) to activate when i have exactly one gallon of fuel remaining.

How much is left originally when the Fuel light starts coming on?

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Marsh White

Good question...I always try to fill up around 160 miles on the odometer.  Though we can go a bit over 200 if in a pinch usually...but I don't like to push it.  Always depends on your throttle hand, jetting, etc...   I don't really give the fuel gauge much thought.

scapello

I am right at 200 and the fuel light just came on but went back out after the next corner. I wanted to drive it down just to see what to expect and also to see if the reserve switch still works. I'll keep it close to gas stations for the next few miles.

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Arnie

I ran my '91 FJ  out of fuel, main & reserve at 402 kms.  Took just over 22L to fill.  Yeah, I was getting great milage, but pushed it just a bit too far :-(
Normally I hit the E mark @ 250kms, Low Fuel light comes on @ 300kms.  This is the first time I've pushed past 350kms.  I'll know better next time.

Cheers,
Arnie

racerman_27410

Quote from: scapello on April 13, 2009, 10:58:48 PM

How much is left originally when the Fuel light starts coming on?

well since the dry bulb is on a wire it could be any amount.... thats why i took mine out an adjusted it.

wouldnt do much good if the light came on 2 minutes before the bike sputtered to a halt.... which could very possibly happen.

if you have 200 miles on the tank i would go ahead and fill it up..... deduct the amount of fuel required to top it off from the listed fuel capacity and you will know how much fuel you have left when the low fuel light comes on.

KOokaloo!