News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

My homemade tire changing stand and wheel balancer.

Started by Smola67, February 06, 2011, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smola67

Just mounted this one up in 2 minutes last night. No marking surfaces and finally no scratching when I change tires.  :yahoo:

Demounted a tire 2 weeks ago and it took less than 2 minutes. Great. Last night I mounted some new shoes to a brand new set of supermoto wheels. It was 37 deg outside which of course that was also the temp of the tires I would be mounting. :) nothing like putting my new tool and mounting stand to the test. With some help of some Ru-Glyde the rear 150-60-17 Shinko Podium mounted with ease. The front 120-70-17 Podium was much harder. The side wall on these tires are very, very stiff. I had a used Pilot power to compare it to and the PP was super soft compared to the Shinko. With the cold stiff side wall it took more force but didnt take any more time than the rear. Cant wait for a hot summer day when tires become super pliable.

Here is my setup. I have 2 diff size center posts,3/4 one for the supermoto wheels and any other street bike wheel and the other 5/8 for my smaller axle diameter dual sport wheel setup. You can see the small adapter I made for the 5/8 bar to fit the 3/4 mount that is permanent on the 14" wheel. I did take your advice and cut off the rims edge and I welded on some round stock, this is the way to go. Of course some Ru-Glyde. I used clear shrink wrap on the bar with some smaller red peices in high wear areas, I need to add a few more pieces to some high wear areas. I also use an old plastic sink faucet mock up plate to wedge in between the tire and rim when mounting, this is the black piece with three holes. I take out the center shaft when using the bead breaker(Cutting board no making surface). I took your advice and made my own wing nuts and put a little hose on them for more grip. As for holding the wheel down I took an old strut mount cover, flipped it upside down, cut a 3/4 hole and put in a metal washer. The wing nut hits metal and the rubber hits the hub. Works great. As for the balancing stand, I got the spindle with cones and bearing ends off ebay for $30 and welded up my own stand. Works perfect. Enjoy The demount bar was made by a fellow motorcycle enthusiast. http://no-scufftiretool.com/index.html

On to my pics.

Mark Olson

Looks good , great job :good2:

nice alternative for changing tires.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

jvb_ca

Quote from: Smola67 on February 06, 2011, 11:53:24 AM
As for the balancing stand, I got the spindle with cones and bearing ends off ebay for $30 and welded up my own stand. Works perfect. Enjoy

Jim is this the spindle and cones you ordered off eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Portable-Tire-Save-Money-/290501019555?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a335c7a3

If so, how are they holding up? Good quality?
Reason I'm asking is I am having a bitch of a time balancing some Michelin PR2's. They have been balanced twice already by 2 different electronic machines, and I still have some wheel hop/oscillating.
I want to try this myself and see if I can get a better balance than the local bike shops give with facny-doo machines.

Cheers...Jake

Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

Smola67

No this is the set that I bought. A little welding and you are good. As for quality and holding up, I think it will last me many years of balanced tires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Adapter-Machined-Axle-/250724995708?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a605fd27c

As for balancing the PR2, is the tire itself round? Could be bad manufacturing which I have never had from a Michelin as their quality seems to always be superb.  How about your rim? Any chance that it is out of round?

jvb_ca

Quote from: Smola67 on April 23, 2011, 11:13:36 AM
No this is the set that I bought. A little welding and you are good. As for quality and holding up, I think it will last me many years of balanced tires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Adapter-Machined-Axle-/250724995708?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a605fd27c

As for balancing the PR2, is the tire itself round? Could be bad manufacturing which I have never had from a Michelin as their quality seems to always be superb.  How about your rim? Any chance that it is out of round?

Thanks Jim.
I went through this with my last set of PR's(non dual compound). I had to return the rear, which they came good for, and the front was ok. This time around the rear seems ok, but the front is not as smooth as I would like. Different wheel this time (3.5in FZR). I can only go by what the guys that did the balancing say. They said the wheel looked good. Straight and true. I had it powder coated, and wondering if the powder product is uneven and causing balancing issues. Right now there is over 2 ounces of weight on the rim. I want to try and see if the wheel itself will balance then try it with the tire. Everything I hear about Michelins has been positive. The last set worked great once balanced.

I also just put new steering head bearings in to eliminate that. Still a vibration at certain speeds.

Cheers...Jake
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

chapindad

That is awesome.  I just realized where you live.  I am not very far and my Daughter goes to USC Upstate.  Now I know who to ask when I need new tires.   :biggrin:
1989 FJ1200
1987 Corvette

Smola67

Quote from: jvb_ca on April 24, 2011, 09:43:20 AM

Thanks Jim.
I went through this with my last set of PR's(non dual compound). I had to return the rear, which they came good for, and the front was ok. This time around the rear seems ok, but the front is not as smooth as I would like. Different wheel this time (3.5in FZR). I can only go by what the guys that did the balancing say. They said the wheel looked good. Straight and true. I had it powder coated, and wondering if the powder product is uneven and causing balancing issues. Right now there is over 2 ounces of weight on the rim. I want to try and see if the wheel itself will balance then try it with the tire. Everything I hear about Michelins has been positive. The last set worked great once balanced.

I also just put new steering head bearings in to eliminate that. Still a vibration at certain speeds.

Cheers...Jake

yep they use a set screw

Smola67

Quote from: Smola67 on May 17, 2011, 04:56:05 PM
Quote from: jvb_ca on April 24, 2011, 09:43:20 AM

Thanks Jim.

Cheers...Jake

yep they use a set screw

Bro I would be happy to put on a set of tires for you.