News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Touring Windscreen for an '86

Started by mijohnso, March 12, 2011, 10:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mijohnso

I have somehow convinced my wife that it is a great idea to ride together from here (Vermont) back to our home state of Colorado sometime this summer. We are planning on taking a few 'warm up' trips to Boston and North Carolina for practice which will hopefully allow us to address any problems we might encounter on a ride to Denver.

In preparation for this, I am looking for some kind of taller windscreen for my '86. I rode doug's (carsick) late model and it was a wonderful experience. I have looked reasonable extensively at what different companies have to offer, and it doesn't look like anyone carries a taller than stock windscreen for an '86. 2 questions:

1) Is there a bolt on aftermarket windscreen for the '86 that is taller?

2) Has anyone had success adapting a windscreen from another bike to this end?

Thanks for the help!
'86 FJ1200

rktmanfj

Quote from: mijohnso on March 12, 2011, 10:35:47 AM
I have somehow convinced my wife that it is a great idea to ride together from here (Vermont) back to our home state of Colorado sometime this summer. We are planning on taking a few 'warm up' trips to Boston and North Carolina for practice which will hopefully allow us to address any problems we might encounter on a ride to Denver.

In preparation for this, I am looking for some kind of taller windscreen for my '86. I rode doug's (carsick) late model and it was a wonderful experience. I have looked reasonable extensively at what different companies have to offer, and it doesn't look like anyone carries a taller than stock windscreen for an '86. 2 questions:

1) Is there a bolt on aftermarket windscreen for the '86 that is taller?

2) Has anyone had success adapting a windscreen from another bike to this end?

Thanks for the help!

How are you going to simulate crossing Kansas?      :empathy:

Randy T
Indy

markmartin

Quote from: mijohnso on March 12, 2011, 10:35:47 AM

Is there a bolt on aftermarket windscreen for the '86 that is taller?

Check out this company:http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/yamaha.htm  They list one for your year bike.  They have a standard, windlip, and touring screen.  I bought the windlip for my '89 and have been happy with it. The quality of the screen is very good and the service was very good too. I had to file a little off at the bottom radius to get it to fit just right but it was no big deal.  Better stock safe than not enough stock.

I like your plans for the summer.  I can tell that your wife has a good sense of humor....  a "warm up" ride from Vermont to North Carolina.  That's a good woman.  :good:  Have fun!

Mark

Arnie

Quote from: rktmanfj on March 12, 2011, 11:28:09 AM
/quote]

How are you going to simulate crossing Kansas?      :empathy:

Randy T
Indy

Well, you could ride across Nebraska instead :-)  Or put a static picture in front of your bike and keep the engine at a constant drone.  In winter you can substitute a white bedsheet for the picture.

Arnie

ribbert

Hi Mark,
I am also buying an Eagle screen to replace my perfectly good "finned" one to get rid of the terrible buffeting. I am keen on some feedback as I can't decide between the 'windlip' and the 'touring',  At what height does the wind hit your helmet or is it successfully (and noislessly) chanelled above it? I am 5'10".
Would appreciate your views.
Thanks

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

KEITH 1TX

I had to get a new screen for my 1TX YAMAHA wanted £280/$450 for one then one of the boys give me this link and i got a brand new screen with a dark tint for £42.95/$69.09 and its a perfect fit.
they have there own molds and your screen is made to order heres a link hope this helps :good2:

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/section/screens/screens_headlight_covers/yamaha.html
Biker Born Biker Bread When I'm Gone Ill Be Biker Dead

markmartin

Quote from: ribbert on March 13, 2011, 08:54:07 AM
Hi Mark,
I am also buying an Eagle screen to replace my perfectly good "finned" one to get rid of the terrible buffeting. I am keen on some feedback as I can't decide between the 'windlip' and the 'touring',  At what height does the wind hit your helmet or is it successfully (and noislessly) chanelled above it? I am 5'10".
Would appreciate your views.
Thanks

Noel

I'm 5'-10" also.  Stock bars and a corbin seat that sits about 1" lower than the stock seat. With the 'Windlip' model, the wind is deflected to the top of my helmet at about forehead level.  There is some buffeting, but it's minimal.   I wouldn't say it's noiseless.  You're still 'in the wind' with this screen.  I do prefer it over the stock screen as that had the wind directed on my neck and seemingly up my helmet.

I went with the (tinted) windlip instead of the touring based solely on looks--I like the lines of the stock screen and the taller screens proportionally diminishes the lines of the bike IMHO.  However, I'd like a report on the touring screen if you do end up going with that one.  I would consider it for long rides if it worked well.

Hope that helps.

Mark

ribbert

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback.  You share my problem, form versus function.  The 'touring' no doubt offers the best protection but looks crap (almost Harleyesque from their photo) and the 'sports' looks great with next to no protection.  I do 500-700km rides several times a month all year round and do 3-4 trips a year, much of it at speed ( I go to a lot of trouble and km's to travel back roads) so, my interest in comfort parallels my advancing age! I think I'll go with the 'touring' and if I can't live it's looks- that's still important- I'll get a 'windlip'. They are $160/$180 plus postage in Aus. so I can probable afford the punt. I'll let you know how it goes and if it looks half reasonable, post some more flattering pictures.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"