News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Clutch issues?

Started by Carterc, March 17, 2011, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Olson

Relax , don't be scared .  Just take it nice and slow .

If one of your friends has a smaller bike like a 250 or a 500 for you to get your basics down first that would help you a bunch.

If not just take it easy and stay under 6000rpms till you get a feel for the fj.

practice practice practice.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

rktmanfj

Quote from: Mark Olson on March 19, 2011, 01:41:47 PM
Relax , don't be scared .  Just take it nice and slow .

If one of your friends has a smaller bike like a 250 or a 500 for you to get your basics down first that would help you a bunch.

If not just take it easy and stay under 6000rpms till you get a feel for the fj.

practice practice practice.

What he said...

The FJ is a heavy, powerful bike.  It would be a good idea to have a halfway decent skill set before testing yourself in real traffic.  There are a lot of ruthless assholes driving these days, and bones heal slowly...

Do your homework, and be careful... you'll be fine.

Randy T
Indy

Carterc

well those articles about "the pace" sounds like my kind of riding! i think ill be fine, ive owned the bike for a week now and havent done anything stupid so thats a good start  :good:
1986 FJ1200

Pat Conlon

Chris, yes, yes, yes on the MSF training course.
Swear to God, last question: When you go down and get your "endorcement" on your license, do you have to take a driving test on your motorcycle? In Some states you do.

If so, I would suggest that you take the driving test on a (much) smaller bike.  If you are not used to your FJ, she can be heavy girl at slow speeds.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Carterc

when i go to get my endorsement i am required to take the Motorcycle safety foundation's "BRC" (basic riders course) and will be supplied some sort of 250 bike, i think theyre naked bikes, but either way im supplied with everything i need, then i can turn around and take the intermediate or advanced course, whichever one they offer.

lol and dont worry about all the questions, im glad you guys actually care enough to make sure youre not the last person i talk to before i have an accident (God forbid)
1986 FJ1200

carsick

Quote from: Carterc on March 19, 2011, 02:29:05 PM
ill be fine, ive owned the bike for a week now and havent done anything stupid

You forgot about the buying it. Seriously, we're here to help though. Listening to and/or taking lessons from your peeps will get you maimed. Peer pressure and anxiety plus bikes is like a recipe for disaster (rallies excepted!). Any motorcycle can be a handful. If you're completely scared of it you'll make dangerous mistakes due to being paralyzed by fear. If you're not scared of it a little it's no fun. Respect it or learn the hard way. The FJ ain't the fastest bike in the world or an ill tempered beast that will turn on you, but it takes a while to get used to. Notice that nobody said get rid of it, just be smart and ease into it. Be aware that you will only want a faster bike as time goes on... :biggrin:
Doug
PS- Learn from other's mistakes-  
Motorbike Crashes Into Wall

Carterc

haha that sucks, he never put his feet up either. talk about not in control
1986 FJ1200

Arnie

Carterc,

We "old farts" are trying to help you.  The FJ is a lot of bike to start on.  Its weight as well as its speed make it not quite learner friendly.  You're big enough to control it - once you learn how, but take it easy.
Take the MSF course and pay attention to what they say, they're also there to help you.

And, once you take the course, pass the test, and get some riding in....
REMEMBER that the most dangerous time for any motorcyclist is about 6 months after they start to ride - when they think they know what they're doing.

When I started riding (in 1967) I was told 3 rules to live by:
1. Don't drink (or drug) and get on your bike
2. Look at every other road user and try to figure out the stupidest thing they could do - and be ready for it.
3. Ride as if every other road user is intentionally trying to kill you - you'll be wrong most of the time.

Cheers,
Arnie

simi_ed

Arnie, you forgot 3a) You're invisible!
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Kopfjaeger

1. they dont look
2. they dont care
3. they dont like you because you can ( wether you do or not), lane split, do wheelies and burnouts, corrupt the younger generation, you obviously are a drug dealer and have a link to some form of patch wearing community.
4. they will want to race you.( Had a "P" plater in a camry offer a race to me the other night on the way home from work.... nobend... and no i didnt and no i don't)
5. the old adage of " it goes twice as fast and is needs half the space to stop" is BS.
6. ride to your ability and comfort. If you push it, it will probably hurt.
7. re visit rules 1-3
and what arnie says... try to predict the worst thing they can do and react before it happens. i do have an thing that i do, which is the problem isnt a problem if its behind you, spot the nobend , work out how and then get past him safely. watch blind spots, and remember they DON'T LOOK!!!!!

all that done and said, enjoy your course,  and have a nice safe ride!!
(P.S. these are just things i have noticed over time i have been riding, it may or may not be news to you, i have been lucky and only come off from my own stupid fault, but have seen at least 5 bike accidents and none of them were like mine where i got up, looked at the skin missing and clutch and brake levers, the bruised fingers, the sore hips and knees and the pain of trying to ride back home with no gear selector and not much skin on hands forearms elbows ribs and knees. and yes i was wearing good gear. the other accidents i have seen were not as lucky. the bloke that went through a tree and down onto a creek bed 12 ft below the road was concious but.... sorry to rant on but i hate the thought of someone wiping themselves out or being wiped out.... i guess the thing that makes me slow down these days is cost. time off work, cost of a new lifestyle thanks to an accident, and the cost of seeing my baby slide down the road. fairings aint cheap.)

stay safe , rubber side down... o theres one more thing.... the most dangerous part of a engine cycle is the nut connecting the seat to the handlebars.

moparman70

Quote from: rktmanfj on March 19, 2011, 10:39:21 AM
Quote from: Carterc on March 19, 2011, 09:58:30 AM
to answer all questions, yes the is my FIRST bike, I've literally never touched another one before this. the HD guys knew it was my first bike. im getting my endorsement next weekend, i have countless friends with hayabusa's, ducati's and CBR 1000's who are excited to teach me to ride. yes im takin it slow and easy. im 22 years old, 6'0" and weigh in at 240 pounds (and i have no intentions to hurt myself or anyone else). I've raced wave runners (still never opened it to work on the engine) and now im lookin for somethin to take to the road instead.

im fully aware of the speed and torque of my FJ1200, one of my hayabusa friends took it out yesterday to test the gear shifts and speed and to find if theres anything weird sounding about it (because i refuse to ride it out of my apartment complex untill ive mastered the mental side of riding and have my endorsement and insurance in place)

For a first bike the FJ can be intimidating -- and I remember the days way back when I bought my 86.  The key for me was when I first started out with riding the FJ  I never took it past 6000 RPMs -- this is where the real power of the FJ comes in.  Slowly ....I graduated myself into that range --- do the same and ride to your abilitiy not your buddies .