News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Still rattling after overhaul

Started by Rohnny, March 28, 2011, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rohnny

My bike, Fj1200 -1987 . with 123000km on the odo when the overhaul started.
Think the overhaul is rather large. I have changed rod and plane bearings, timeing chain, timeing sprocket, guides. New piston rings, "brushed" (honet) cylinder. Fixed the valves. straighten the top. Grinding the valves , change the rubber seal. Changed oilpump, seals and gaskets. Every part is washed in diesel and dentist brush  :crazy:
So pretty mutch done most that can be done, I think.
But still have have some rattling when I have some pressure on the engine. On idle nothing is heard everything are smooth.

Some advice what it can be, :wacko1:

Please bear with me with the translation.  :flag_of_truce:
Regards Rohnny
----------------------
Fj 1200 - 1987 - (123000km)

racerman_27410

did you also replace the starter chain ?

if lugging the engine below 1000 rpm some rattle is to be expected.

KOokaloo!

Travis398

Quote from: Rohnny on March 28, 2011, 12:27:56 PM
But still have have some rattling when I have some pressure on the engine. On idle nothing is heard everything are smooth.

While riding the bike or just sitting? or both?

sometimes It's best not to listen.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

SlowOldGuy

Grinding Yamaha valves is NOT a good idea.  They are surface hardened and if you get too aggressive in the grind, you can grind right through the hardned part and expose weak steel.  Not a good scenaario.  Always replace the valves or go aftermarket SS replacements.

DavidR.

Rohnny

Quote from: racerman_27410 on March 28, 2011, 04:29:38 PM
did you also replace the starter chain ?

if lugging the engine below 1000 rpm some rattle is to be expected.

KOokaloo!

No the starter chain I did not change.  :dash1: Yes it's on low rpm

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on March 28, 2011, 09:55:13 PM
Grinding Yamaha valves is NOT a good idea.  They are surface hardened and if you get too aggressive in the grind, you can grind right through the hardned part and expose weak steel.  Not a good scenaario.  Always replace the valves or go aftermarket SS replacements.

DavidR.
This I did not know. But it's done so...Thanks for the advice

Quote from: Travis398 on March 28, 2011, 06:02:58 PM
While riding the bike or just sitting? or both?

sometimes It's best not to listen.
When riding, or I put it on 1. and slowly loosen the clutch.

Maybee I should close my ears  :sarcastic: But this was the main reason for the overhaul.
Regards Rohnny
----------------------

racerman_27410

Remember these bikes are not harley's and although they are air cooled they are meant to be revved and run.... idle should be above 1000 RPM and lugging the engine below that point when first releasing the clutch/starting off will cause the engine to make all sorts of strange agricultural sounds/rattles.

ride the bike like its meant to be ridden and all you will hear is the engine making music !

KOokaloo!

fj1250

Does the rattling go away when you pull in the clutch lever?
If so it's the clutch basket/bearing.
Easy fix!
MC

Rohnny

The rattling is only on low rpm. As sayd it could be starter chain, and maybe that could be the reason. This is the only thing I do not have changed. Before I started the hauling the rattling was higher in volume and more often. Now it's rearly.
Otherwise the engine has a nice thight sound to it. So pleased with the hauling so far. (Only 100km , but the smile on my face are there all the way.)
Soon the motorcycle season starting so , think I'm ready, :crazy:
Regards Rohnny
----------------------

jykkeh

OKAY, IT IS your starter chain and thats it. Your noise is under 1500 rpm and you really dont like that sound.

Change chain and guide = NO NOISE  REMEMBER, remember change that guide, if not, your new chain keeps that noise after 30 000 km again.
Every FJ starter chain is out of the game when you have over 100 000 km.

Rohnny

DAMN :dash2:, This was the only think I did'nt change. Guide I changed, but then if it's work only for 30k ,it only work for 1-1.5year so I think I live it it.  :music:
Thanks for answers. Else the bike is thight and buzzing like a bie.
Summer here I come. :yahoo:
Regards Rohnny
----------------------