News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

86 fj vacuum line ?

Started by guinness1200, April 12, 2011, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guinness1200

Can anyone tell me where the vacuum line from the second carb on the left intake boot is supposed to be attached.    Thanks in advance, Eric

tqmx1

It's been a long time one of the hose's goes to the fuel valve and the other runs down to the ignitor unit on the left side of the bike.

guinness1200

If that hose is not hooked up would it cause the bike to act like its loading up on fuel? I am not really firmiliar with these bikes yet.

Ratchet_72

It'll just be a huge vacuum leak until you hook it up to either the fuel petcock or the ignitor like Kim says.
Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

guinness1200

I plugged it off so it not a vacuum leak, it is the one that runs to the ignition unit. What does it control on the igniton unit?

Ratchet_72

Quote from: guinness1200 on April 12, 2011, 08:57:19 PM
I plugged it off so it not a vacuum leak, it is the one that runs to the ignition unit. What does it control on the igniton unit?
Ignition advance I believe. I'll let someone else chime in as my noodle is tired at the moment.
Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

Mark Olson

on the 86 the 2nd line runs to the ign unit on the left side next to the battery. there is a little fitting it plugs into.

if it is not hooked up your bike will run like crap. has to do with the timing adv.

plug it back in.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

guinness1200

I am going to check it out after work tonight and see if it makes a differance. I think I am going to pull the carbs and cleanthem as well.

Mark Olson

cleaning the carbs is always a good idea.

watch out for the petcock elbow as you pull the fuel line off the tank. It can get loose and fall off later while you are riding and start a fire.
most of us have safety wired it in place.

after you have the tank off take a picture of your fuel line routing . the 86 is very picky about it and if you don't put it back like it was you can have fuel starvation problems.

good luck.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

moparman70

Ditto on the routing of the fuel lines -- do it right as it can also rub on the tops of the carbs or if the bends are not correct get cut over time and then you will have a nice fuel leak.  The original fuel lines are very prone to this -- I had two cuts appear right at where it connects to the fuel petcock.  If  you have replaced them 'by the foot" lines it will be less prone to the cuts but I also found the thicker the hose the harder it was to achieve all the loops.

steve

guinness1200

Thanks guys! Mine actually has the routing picture on the air box.

Mark Olson

Quote from: guinness1200 on April 13, 2011, 01:32:30 PM
Thanks guys! Mine actually has the routing picture on the air box.

double check it some of those were a misprint.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

srutherford

i think that answered my question. now how to figure out the correct roughting. i am for sure starving for fuel