News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

oil level light comes on in 3rd

Started by gripit_N_ripit, April 18, 2011, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gripit_N_ripit

hey fellas, i took the ol' fj out yesterday and encountered a possible problem.....from a stop i could accelerate moderatly through 1st, 2nd, and then when i'm in 3rd about halfway through the rpm range with 3/4 throttle the check oil level light comes on breifly (3-4 sec), then i let off the throttle in panic and it goes off. is there a specific was to test the oil pressure switch and where is it located? i looked for any posts like this but couldnt find any, hope yall can help. thanks
Curtis

andyb

Isn't an oil pressure light.  It's an oil level light.  Add a lil and you probably won't see it again soon.

The sender for oil level is mounted in the pan, lay on the ground and look at the pan and it'll jump out at you, but what you describe is working properly.

weymouth399

84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

1tinindian

I also have had this happen.
No worries.
The Yamaha Vmax is know to have this same thing happen.
You are pulling the oil level away from the switch under acceleration, that's why the light goes out when you let off the gas.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

gripit_N_ripit

Thanks guys! :good: i had thought about that but i wanted to run it by some "experts"........If thats what you call yourselves.....  :sarcastic:
Curtis

FJmonkey

Quote from: gripit_N_ripit on April 18, 2011, 09:14:53 AM
hey fellas, i took the ol' fj out yesterday and encountered a possible problem.....from a stop i could accelerate moderatly through 1st, 2nd, and then when i'm in 3rd about halfway through the rpm range with 3/4 throttle the check oil level light comes on breifly (3-4 sec), then i let off the throttle in panic and it goes off. is there a specific was to test the oil pressure switch and where is it located? i looked for any posts like this but couldnt find any, hope yall can help. thanks
kind of late...Stay out of third gear!!!!!

or just keep your oil level proper....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

that is the "tune light".

if your fj has the correct oil level you will still get a oil light if you are accelerating at full throttle and making full power. means the fj is running good. :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

jykkeh

correct oil level is NOT WITH COLD ENGINE, run it warm and let it stay 5 minutes and look where is your oil level, i think its not upper, put it upper and your light is sleeping in 3 rd.

moparman70

That is the Wheelie Light......just keep the front wheel on the ground and in should be ok...... or what Andyb said.

sc2

jykkeh

Oh yes, i dont remember that, my bike do the same thing, but it has more much power that original motor.  :good2:

JMR

Put some HP in that engine and it will stay on thru 1st, 2nd and 3rd. :yes:

gripit_N_ripit

I didn't want to start a new post since this question is kiiiinda related. When i start my fj in the morning and let it warm up the side stand has to be up, i would like to be able to walk away for a few minutes while it warms up. so if i eliminate the side stand switch; Is there a problem with letting the engine run while its leaning over. i know that the bike leans much more through a decent turn but what do you think/know??
Curtis

Pat Conlon

Quote from: gripit_N_ripit on May 03, 2011, 11:39:26 AM
.... i would like to be able to walk away for a few minutes while it warms up....

It's no problem leaning over on the side stand, just don't let that big air cooled lump idle too long...if you walk away from your bike while it's idling and get distracted, you can and will damage your engine.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

gripit_N_ripit

ok thanks Pat. ill be sure to remember my bike is running.  :bye2:
Curtis

Dan Filetti

There should be no problem with idling on the side stand.  In fact, given that it will not, tells me that there is a problem with either the Neutral Safety switch or the side stand switch.  

You can trouble shoot the issue, or just by-pass the side stand switch, with a simple jumper.  The disadvantage is that the bike will now allow you to put the bike in gear (and potentially drive away) with the side stand down.  Not great/ dangerous.

IMO, I'd figure out what was actually wrong, and fix that.

Does your neutral light come on when the bike is actually in neutral?

Dan
Live hardy, or go home.