News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Off road FJ

Started by Travis398, April 29, 2011, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis398

I suspected the east coast guys have bigger balls.

So this proves my theory?

(popcorn)

I'll post the news on Wikipedia! 

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

rktmanfj

Travis, there's something wrong with your sig map, man...

Randy T
Indy

weymouth399

Quote from: rktmanfj on May 08, 2011, 08:12:33 AM

Travis, there's something wrong with your sig map, man...

Randy T
Indy

Nothing wrong, he's lived a shelterd life and never been anywhere.
Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

FJmonkey

Quote from: weymouth399 on May 08, 2011, 08:37:30 AM
Nothing wrong, he's lived a shelterd life and never been anywhere.
Bob W
That seems to include where he is now. Or maybe he needs a bigger map if he is out of the country.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

bobmcc

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on April 30, 2011, 03:42:58 PM
Probably don't need this, but the posture in the first curve is all wrong.  The curve is to the left and you're upper body is leaning to the right. 

I don't want to pile on, but perhaps you need to consider a riding class or two?

And GET DECENT GEAR!  That's helmet, jacket, pants, boots and gloves.  I noticed bare hands and arms on the filmer.  It only takes a slow speed fall to convince you that it's money well spent.  We all think we're bulletproof to some extent, don't wait till it's too late.

I normally don't rant like this, but I've seen too much stupidity lately (locally).  When people show up under dressed at our local riding group, they are sent away. 

DavidR.
My writing skills suck so most of the time I'm a lurker.I want to thank slowold guy for pointing out the riders posture as he enters the first turn. I've been doing the same thing, the turns are a lot more fun when I'm leaning the right way.
Bob

rktmanfj

Quote from: bobmcc on June 15, 2011, 04:48:40 PM

My writing skills suck so most of the time I'm a lurker.I want to thank slow old guy for pointing out the riders posture as he enters the first turn. I've been doing the same thing, the turns are a lot more fun when I'm leaning the right way.
Bob

Your writing skills seem to be a lot better than some who post here a lot... keep posting.      :good:

Randy T
Indy

axiom-r

Quote from: mst3kguy on May 06, 2011, 08:25:02 PM
Quote from: Travis398 on May 07, 2011, 09:19:00 PM
get heavy leather boots that go up way past your ankle.  you want something thick that both protects your ankle bones which protrude out nicely when you're skidding along the road, as well as something that prevents too much flexing.  see troy's photo of me (the fj rally photo on page 5 of this thread i think) and look at my ankle.  that's about half as far as it actually bent.  i couldn't figure out the next days why it was so sore, until i got the pics a month or whatever later.  my ankle got cranked pretty hard, but a) it would have left lots of skin on the road without full ankle coverage; and 2) i'm guessing it would have gotten cranked a lot more if i hadn't been wearing stiff boots.

i tend to think that if i'm wearing the gear, i push it harder than when i'm not wearing the gear (no, i don't wear the gear all the time).  but don't believe in that theory, it'll bite you.  it didn't bite me, tho it could have; i had my helmet visor up, because i didn't think i was pushing it that hard going around the corner.  turns out i was, as i ran out of clearance.  i was lucky i didn't grind my chin to the bone and more.  ( :

Hey mst3kguy-  First off let me say what an incredible slide that was captured in that photo- it is you?  It reminded me instantly of the shot of Rubin Xaus sliding on the Supermotard.

From the first look I thought shiiiiiiit that guy does have balls of steel!  But who ever tagged the shot with "Big Balls" did not really understand what was going on there...it is really deceptive because man it looks cool. If I understand you correctly you ground out on the peg or the pipe or some thing and the back-end came around on ya?

Clearly you saved it which is just spectacular.  I would have shit finding myself in a full lock slide such as this.  How did it work out? What was it like to finish that corner?

cheers- Awesome pic.

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

rktmanfj

mst3kguy

Quote from: axiom-r on June 15, 2011, 10:07:41 PM
Hey mst3kguy-  First off let me say what an incredible slide that was captured in that photo- it is you?  It reminded me instantly of the shot of Rubin Xaus sliding on the Supermotard.

From the first look I thought shiiiiiiit that guy does have balls of steel!  But who ever tagged the shot with "Big Balls" did not really understand what was going on there...it is really deceptive because man it looks cool. If I understand you correctly you ground out on the peg or the pipe or some thing and the back-end came around on ya?

Clearly you saved it which is just spectacular.  I would have shit finding myself in a full lock slide such as this.  How did it work out? What was it like to finish that corner?

cheers- Awesome pic.

tim

um, it didn't work out, and it sucked "finishing" that corner.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

axiom-r

Man- I am sorry to hear that and hope I did not step on a sensitive spot with any of my comments- If I did, I apologize.  I was under the impression that you did not go down.

On the bright side- I think any of us that have been on bikes awhile have been in your shoes once or twice and I know I certainly don't have any kick-ass photos of my spills as trophies!  

The image truly is amazing-  I hope you and your ride were not significantly harmed in the making of that picture...

:flag_of_truce:
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

mst3kguy

no worries, it didn't bother me none.

a split-second after that image was captured, i high-sided.  all things considered, including that i had my helmet chin bar in the up position, i was lucky to literally walk away from the motorcycle pole vault with only four fractured ribs.  i had no road rash, and the bruising that i had the same day went away pretty quickly, i would have bet the farm it would have been like klavdy and gone the other way.  my helmet got substantial scratches on rear, lower section of helmet.  arerostich suit has tear from armpit to waist, as well as the back section of the collar is rashed up.  but point is, i was not.

bike sustained broken mirror, passenger footpeg, timing cover, bent engine guard, bent subframe, scuffed up givi top box, and fairing got trashed.

as an update, a few weeks ago bill and i loaded both of my fjs on a trailer and took them to his house for him to so some parts transplantation.
dean

FJTillDeath

Wow this topic has sure been exhausted!

Firstlt awesome video and glad the host escaped mostly unharmed.

My 2cents to exhaust this further, you wont really learn until it happens and when I was in my accident I was happy I wore most of what I did - it could have been better and have ugly foot road rash for memories. You choose what you wear but at the end of the day its best that you wear the bare minimum and in my books thats a full helmet a jacket and jeans and boots. The only 2 items of gear I dont wear are the ear plugs and the pants (I actually thought jeans and equivalent material were good enough)

I dont know why anybody would ride without their helmet. I have forgotten my helmet when riding to the shop about a mile away and I am so thankful for the FJS long visor as winblast literally sux especially when u have teary eyes.

Im all for freedom of choice but if someone ruins my riding experience becos of their own stupidity say by endangering the lives of another road user I wont have sympathy. :diablo:

On a different note since jeans arent good enough and I cant afford riding pants what would do just as well as a cheap out buy?
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

mst3kguy

if you can't afford riding pants, can you afford the medical bills associated with the treatment from the road rash?  maybe i'm naive and most people's insurance is better than my crappy employer-provided?
dean

Klavdy

"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

terryk

That was a very lucky guy in the video, quick decision making by going to the opposite railing. Wonder what the people in the car were thinking?