News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

$@#@% still won't start!!

Started by scarylarry, May 23, 2011, 11:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyb

Dan, your spelling means you need a kick in the snout :P

I see that as $24 + shipping for a set of pilots and mains.  Not a lot of money there.

SlowOldGuy

If you put pods filters on, shimming the needle is far more important than any jet change. 
It also happens to be the easiest and cheapest carb tuning you can do; just 4 small washers and you don't even need to remove the carbs.

As for not starting, is it even trying to fire?  Are you geting any attempt at combustion?

Are you sure the choke fuel pickup orifice  is clear in the float bowl?

DavidR.

Dan Filetti

Quote from: andyb on May 23, 2011, 06:07:55 PM
Dan, your spelling means you need a kick in the snout :P

Sorry to have offended your virgin eyes.  I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputations were totally without basis in fact, and were in no way 'fair spelling' and were motivated purely by laziness and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

equivalent
favor
definitely
plugs
recommendations
definitely

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

scarylarry

i came home, took the carbs back off and adjusted the idle screw to open the throttle plates  (the throttle was all the way closed) put everything back together and tried to fire it up... choke on, no throttle.  it started, but ran really rough and kept stalling out.  then i noticed fuel coming out of the overflow tubes.  i assume that means something is stuck.  float needle?  when i reassembled the carbs, everything seemed to move freely.

afa jets and stuff, i didn't realize it was that inexpensive.  i assumed it was $30-$40 per carb.
you know what happens when you assume   :crazy:

RichBaker

Stuck floats, rap the float bowls good with a hammer handle...... or any other similar thing.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

scarylarry

RichBaker

Nope, then they'd be leaking profusely.... and never stop.   :bomb:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire

scarylarry

wwweeelll......i took your advice and rapped the float bowls with a very small hammer and wooden dowel,
no start with choke only, then tried with partial throttle, it started and ran really rough.  had to keep throttle on or it would die.  took carbs off and removed floats and cleaned everything out and blew out with compressed air.  put floats back on and checked if they moved freely.  reassembled everything and tried to start choke only again, it started, but would die out without throttle.  ran really rough.  checked spark plugs, blacker than black. that means rich, right?   mowed the lawn to keep from putting for sale sign out front.

now what?   :flag_of_truce:

thanks for any advice,
larry

SlowOldGuy

Sounds like it doesn't want to run cold or on the choke.

Did you not read my first posts?

Since I first posted, you've had the carbs off twice
Either of these times, did you verify the choke fuel pickup orifices in the float bowls were not clogged?  
Someone just fixed this exact same problem last week.

DavidR.

scarylarry

david,  i checked and cleaned out all orifices i could find.  which ones exactly are the choke fuel pickup orifices?  are they the small, thin brass tube that goes into the float bowl or the orifices built  into the float bowl itself?  either case, both are clean and clear.  i'm a newbie at this and i'm learning as i go.

thanks,
larry

RichBaker

Did you replace the fuel needle seat o-rings? Those get old and leak.....
Tennessee Squire

scarylarry

i was looking in the files section under carb cleaning and i noticed something.  what is supposed to be connected to what is labeled vent 1/2 and vent 3/4?

to quote DavidR "The picture that identifies the carb ports is wrong.  The 4 ports identified as Overflow are actually choke circuit air intakes.  The ports that are called Vents also serve as the float bowl overflows"

right now i have those 2 "vents" capped.  when i stripped off the california stuff, those 2 "vents" were connected to a vent solenoid.  should i have capped them or do they need to be connected to something or to free air?
thanks for your patience for me asking all these questions!!
larry

scarylarry

Quote from: RichBaker on May 24, 2011, 08:52:02 PM
Did you replace the fuel needle seat o-rings? Those get old and leak.....

rich, yes i did

tqmx1

Remove those 2 caps PRONTO those 2 tees have to be open. Those are the float bowl vents.

And laso change the spark plugs if they are that black & sooty

scarylarry

Quote from: tqmx1 on May 24, 2011, 09:54:40 PM
Remove those 2 caps PRONTO those 2 tees have to be open. Those are the float bowl vents.

And laso change the spark plugs if they are that black & sooty

will do.  i have an extra set of plugs, so i'll change them, too.
thanks, i'm adding to my wealth of knowedge.  you guys are GREAT!    :good: