News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Make Posting in the Introduction Category MANDATORY for Newbies

Started by Ratchet_72, May 06, 2009, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchet_72

Just seems to make sense to me.  Before a newer member can post anywhere he/she has to post in Introductions FIRST.  When someone posts for the first time asking for advice or a part its nice to know who they are, what they have and whether or not they'll actually heed advice.
Seems to me it would make for a more cohesive forum in general.
Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

Marsh White

Jason, (who posted your name once in 31 posts)

I am not the biggest fan of rules.  To post a message here, a user already has to agree to some BS agreement, then figure out some ridiculously difficult picture of letters and numbers (BTW: this has been A LOT more difficult for the newbies since I kicked up the difficulty over a month ago), then go to their email and click a link to activate their account (again, a newer feature added to prevent spammers).

I don't want to also force them to go to the introduction section and say: "Hello, my name is Bob and I have an 86 FJ1200.  I live in Michigan and I jerk off...now can I post my question about my overflowing carbs?"

Now I fully agree with you in principle.  And I do think everyone should introduce themselves.  I also think that maybe those who do might end up getting better answers and more attention than those who do not (I doubt that would be intentional...just people are more likely to give out info to others if they feel like they know them a bit).

But I don't want to MAKE people do anything...    Anyway, that's just my gut reaction to your post.  I may be wrong.  Like I said, I do agree with you, I just don't want to make it mandatory.

mikeholzer

Now, I don't care who you are; that's funny!

But, it does make me want to go and create a post on the introductions page. I'm not so certain that I'll let everyone know that I jerk off, though...

You all can just assume it!

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Mark Olson

furthermore speaking for myself ,I concur with the inclinations of Marsh on forced introductions.

that said, a first name would be helpful so we can answer to the correct poster without confusion.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

andyb

Thanks god!  Last thing we need is a required masturbation posting.

After all, some of you wordy bastards would start explaining in more depth, and the rest of us would have to stab our own eyes out....

:dash2: :dash2:

mikeholzer

Worse yet, Andy, is that some guys would happily post some photos to go along with it so that everybody can get the "full effect."

Don't really want to see that...

pdxfj

Shhhhhh!!!  Don't give Klavdy any ideas.   :shok:

If he posts of himself whippin' it, it's all your fault....

Quote from: mikeholzer on May 07, 2009, 03:50:06 PM
Worse yet, Andy, is that some guys would happily post some photos to go along with it so that everybody can get the "full effect."

Don't really want to see that...

Ratchet_72

Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

Mark Olson

Quote from: Ratchet_72 on May 08, 2009, 12:23:25 AM
God what have I done?

you must now pay penance for your sin and attend the west coast rally where you will be used as target practice for the potato gun.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Marsh White

Quote from: Mark Olson on May 08, 2009, 01:11:34 AM
you must now pay penance for your sin and attend the west coast rally where you will be used as target practice for the potato gun.

Oooooh!  I like ALL of that!   :biggrin: