News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ 1100 runs on 2 cilinders

Started by gijs, July 24, 2011, 04:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gijs

I don't know how exactly to explain it but i am certain that its not the coil because i already swapped it and the connectors, everything over there points to the fact that the coils are OK

gijs

I thought I had it fixed, I put an extra wire to the battery ground from the coil.
but now it runs on 2 again.
when its idling it runs on 4 cylinders but if it comes above 1000rpm it runs on 2.

I measured the voltage on the ignition box, the wire to the coil and the + from the battery,  for the coil cylinder 1 - 4 the voltage goes to 0 if its not idling. cylinder 2 -3 coil the voltage stays about 3,5 volts.

could this be a faulty pickup?

The neutral light used to burn on contact and wile running, now it only goes on during starting

fj11.5

When mine was shooting flames from the pipe , was a small fray in a coil wire at the front of thd tank, but then i found the fuse connector plug had pulled apart just enough to make the bike run bad but still start ok. the plug is just under the fairing below the bottom edge of the gauges, i only found it because the cut off relay would click when moved,
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Travis398

Quote from: gijs on July 25, 2011, 01:42:11 PM

could this be a faulty pickup?

Was you able to do an ohm reading on them?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

gijs

the ohm reading is 168 and 169

gijs

the bike ran on 4 cylinders today but if i went above 4000rpm it would go bak to 2.
i found two wires with a green plug and they were stripped down and the copper was touching. if i pull the wires apart from each other then the bike wont start.
and if put hem together the neurtral light and de oil level light go on.

SkyFive

I remember that green plug but, I can't remember what it goes to. From your description it sounds like the side stand switch. Was your side stand up when you tried to start it?

Travis398

Quote from: gijs on July 26, 2011, 04:31:34 PM

i found two wires with a green plug and they were stripped down and the copper was touching.

sounds like your getting closer.

gijs

Quote from: SkyFive on July 26, 2011, 05:37:45 PM

I remember that green plug but, I can't remember what it goes to. From your description it sounds like the side stand switch. Was your side stand up when you tried to start it?

my bike does not have a side stand switch and I do not know were the wires from the green plug are for

gijs

the wires are from the neutral switch and the oil level switch.
and if if i touch them together then the bike starts and otherwise it wont even crank the engine

fj11.5

Wouldnt be a sidestand switch, the 1100,s dont have one

84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Travis398

fj11.5

gijs

Well I think I fixed it.
I found that the neutral switch had no bolts in it, so I went to the store and got a couple of bolts and screwed them in.
now the bike runs on 4 cylinders.
I went for a test drive and it still runs good after 5 kilometers.

and my bike does not have a side stand switch, its A FJ 1100 from 1984

fj11.5

Excellent mate,glad you found the problem,an :scratch_one-s_head:d it was an easy fix,, was about as much fun to find as my 84,s gremlin   :dash1 :dash1:                                                                                                   
new there was no stand switch  :biggrin: