Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

adjusting the valves????

Started by loquito, August 07, 2011, 06:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loquito

all my measurements are in mm
sitting on the bike the left cylinder is #1 then #2 etc
the first valve in either exhaust or intake is A and the second in the same cylinder is B
my measuements are as follows
INTAKE
CYLINDER 1 valve A .064 valve B .076
CYLINDER 2 valve A  .076 valve B .076
cylinder 3 Valve A .064  Valve B  .076
cylinder 4  Valve A .051 valve B .064

EXHAUST
cylinder 1 valve A .178 valve b .178
cylinder 2 valve A .178 valve B .178
cylinder 3 valve A .15  valve B .15
cylinder 4 valve A .178 valve B .15

i am now at a stand still and do not know how to progress
the book says the exhaust should be between .16mm and .20 mm and the intake between .11mm and .15mm

three of my exhaust read .15 mm the others are all in spec

the intakes are all well below the .11mm minimum that the book states

i do not know what sizes of shims to buy so that i can bring the valves into spec and i do not know how to figure it out
can anyone help me figure out which shims i need for each cylinder?
any help would be appreciated as i am trying to bring back to life a very neglected and abused fj.
thank you
steven

loquito

i am studying my Clymers on how to do the valves
it states #11 Repeat for each valve that has EXCESSIVE VALVE CLEARANCE.
since none of my valve have EXCESSIVE valve clearance issues, all valves being in spec or haveing a clearance below the minimum instead of (excessive) above the max clearance am i good to go on the valves.
is less then the min clearance a issue
is only excessive valve clearance an issue.
with my current readings can i button her up and go on to the next thing?

Arnie

OK, I'll try to be clear on this.
BEFORE you start, how are you measuring to 0.001mm?  Are you using inch feeler guages and converting?
Go buy a set of metric feeler guages!

For the purpose of this exercise, I'll round your measurements to the nearest 0.01mm 

So I1A is 0.06mm and E4B is 0.15mm

For the Intakes, you want between .11 and .15mm.  You have about 1/2 that amount.
You need to remove the shim and read the number printed on it.  Lets say its 270 (which is 2.70mm thick)
Measuring with a micrometer is better as the numbers sometimes wear off or are wrong

For 1A you will need to replace that shim with a shim that is thinner by at least .05mm and not more than .09mm
So, you'll want a 265 to a 261  shim.  A 265 shim is the closest you'll get in standard size shims, though you may find a 262.5 (which would be better)

For Exaust 4B you'll want the next thinner shim than what you have.  If you have a 265 there, you'll want a 260

NOTE: It is acceptable practice to re-use the shims you remove, so you can use the shim from E4B in the I1A valve.

If you have to choose between slightly loose and slightly tight choose LOOSE  especially on exhausts.

Hope this helps.

Arnie 

loquito

man that helps alot
thanks for responding, ill reread again and try to do it myself
i can't wait
thanks for the directions
steven

mz_rider

Quote from: loquito on August 07, 2011, 06:40:39 PM
all my measurements are in mm
sitting on the bike the left cylinder is #1 then #2 etc
the first valve in either exhaust or intake is A and the second in the same cylinder is B
my measuements are as follows
INTAKE
CYLINDER 1 valve A .064 valve B .076
CYLINDER 2 valve A  .076 valve B .076
cylinder 3 Valve A .064  Valve B  .076
cylinder 4  Valve A .051 valve B .064

EXHAUST
cylinder 1 valve A .178 valve b .178
cylinder 2 valve A .178 valve B .178
cylinder 3 valve A .15  valve B .15
cylinder 4 valve A .178 valve B .15

i am now at a stand still and do not know how to progress
the book says the exhaust should be between .16mm and .20 mm and the intake between .11mm and .15mm

three of my exhaust read .15 mm the others are all in spec

the intakes are all well below the .11mm minimum that the book states

i do not know what sizes of shims to buy so that i can bring the valves into spec and i do not know how to figure it out
can anyone help me figure out which shims i need for each cylinder?
any help would be appreciated as i am trying to bring back to life a very neglected and abused fj.
thank you
steven

Steven,

Pretty much what Arnie said.

Since you have a lot of valves outwith spec I would firstly remove all the shims, record the thickness and put them back in. Then look at the figures and work out what shims you need to get. It is likely that many of the shims can be swapped around. On the exhaust it's simple. The valves with the 0.15mm clearance need a shim one size (0.05mm) smaller to make them 0.20mm.

On the inlet the 0.076mm clearance valves also need one size smaller shims. For the others I'd go two sizes (0.10mm) down. For example on the 0.064mm clearance this would give 0.164mm rather than 0.114mm. This is slightly out of spec but since gaps tighten with use you're less likely to have to adjust them next time. I always aim for the top of the clearance range.

If you are swapping shims do not turn the engine with a shim removed as damage to the cam will occur. If necessary temporarily put in a shim of any size before turning. 

Stuart