News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

#@%*! I will sledge hammer this FJ soon!

Started by mr blackstock, September 03, 2011, 05:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

This bike is getting me down.  :mad:
After installing a new starter, rewiring for a stronger spark, balancing the carbs to a rough idle, now the bloody thing will not start!  :mad:

I have had the carbs off more times than any other bike I have owned!  I have had petrol spill from the overflows, backfiring enough to scare neighbours, and I am at my wits end!

I have been getting bikes running from the age of 15, thats almost 20 years of rescuing bikes from the wrecker, getting them running after years buried in weeds, yet I cannot get this FJ to run decently.

I have never been this frustrated!  Tuning 2 stroke twins built in the 70's is easier than this!  Is there some secret to getting these bikes to run sweet?  Evidently they are bullet proof, run forever, great touring bike never fails.  Or did I get a bike full of bugs?!

I fixed the petcock issue -never came across that one before!
I fixed the weak two brush starter -never come across that before!
I fixed the weak wiring -great idea, wish I had heard of it before.
I fixed the shim issue
I fixed the poorly designed choke system -never come across that before!

Are there any other things about these bikes that I might uncover?  I love the bike, but if it is unreliable once I get it running, off to ebay it goes... I have never had so many problems in one bike.

I will have to do the carbs again.

Sorry for the rant, maybe I should just read some of the hundreds of posts asking advice on carburation...  Maybe I should just replace the carbies and discover a reliable bike?

cheers
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Bozo

When I bought my FJ1200 I had a number of faults which initially got me down, and for some time I called it my 'pig bike'. Now I wouldn't sell it for the world (and I did have many others). So don't give up, its worth the work.
You appear to have done a lot of work at the same time, any of these changes would give the symptoms you mention, i.e. weak spark, fuel issues, electronic ignition low voltage etc. Is there a way you could give us an idea where to look, you mentioned the carbies a lot and you seem to assume they are the problem (if so are they flooding?, what exactly was done), have you checked the spark. Did you change the plugs? etc.
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

andyb

If it frustrates you to the point of wanting shot of it, sell it.

Of course, a bike running well will bring you more money than one that doesn't run or runs badly.  Either way, get to work!  It's not rocket science, and honestly the FJ is really pretty tolerant of jetting adjustments.  It's absolutely not tolerant of anything remotely wrong in the idle circuits or air leaks though, and that's a fiddly bastard until you figure it out.

mr blackstock

Since having calmed down, I can see the sense between the fury.  I suppose it gets most frustrating that when she runs the exhaust rings through your heart, images of hard riding through twisty roads get into your head....and then she won't start again no matter how hard you try...

Selling is out of the question, she's too sexy for that!  I will win, I will re-examine the carbs for things I missed, I just have to get through the "fiddly bastard" stage. :dash1:

Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Arnie

Mr B,

If you'd like another set of eyes/ears to look at your problem child, give me a shout.
I've got about 14yrs of FJ experience and might be able to sense something you're missing. (or not)
PM me with a phone number and location.

Cheers,
Arnie

nealmeal2000

Quote from: Arnie on September 04, 2011, 09:54:31 AM
Mr B,

If you'd like another set of eyes/ears to look at your problem child, give me a shout.
I've got about 14yrs of FJ experience and might be able to sense something you're missing. (or not)
PM me with a phone number and location.

Cheers,
Arnie

you have a norton you can fix anything-lol

Arnie

Quote from: nealmeal2000 on September 05, 2011, 09:21:02 PM

you have a norton you can fix anything-lol

I had a Norton, that I purchased in boxes.  Owned and rode it for over 12 years.
I can fix most things.  I hate Luke's Ass.

Arnie

theautoman21

Well i thought i was the only one with carb issues i have almost destroyed my gas tank triing to adjust them  buying more off ebay only to have one ore to unuseable i hjave had a screw from the butterfly valve get sucked into the cylinder and had to remove the head i have been rear ended after puttingf on new tire and brakes i have had the fuel line pinch everytime i make an adjustment and ride and adjust and now im back at the carb issue because i dont have 4 or 5 hundred to spend on new ones so i know that the fuel line gets pinched alot even though it may not look that way and also a good battery will also give starting and running problems so i will say try the fuel line and battey

RACER111V

We have all gone through it. It is worth it though. Mine starts in about half a revolution. It always needs some choke (enrichment) if it hasn't been running for a half hour or more. If the carbs are right the thing will run on 2 cylinders. I know after having a coil wire break. Mine had a chunk of orange silicone seal floating around in the carb fuel line t from the previous owners attempt at repairing the petcock. That took me a summer to find. I always stopped just short of pulling the carbs off the rack. Step back for a while and regain an attention to detail.