News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM Parts Update

Started by racerrad8, September 09, 2011, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 86 in San Dimas

[/quote]
Okay Mike, I will clear my next flight to RPM with you (San Dimas Flight control) before I go.  :empathy3:
[/quote]

Pat spilled the beans new shock eh... oh yeah. Swing arm? Stock?

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on November 20, 2014, 09:11:12 PM
Pat spilled the beans new shock eh... oh yeah. Swing arm? Stock?

I had the shock for a month or so, but the 84/87 swing arm will not bolt on with the 89+ shock so I did not install till yesterday. When I also installed an 89 swing arm and 89 shock link and other associated bits. You will see my other posts and challenges of doing this mod. Randy found my oil leak, and in the day and a half I was there we dropped my my engine twice and reinstalled it. Not sure if you would have enjoyed the pandemonium. But I will keep you posted if I ever plan a trip to the FJ mecca we call RPM....

I look forward to more good times at RPM....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

We got a few more tools in and added to the inventory to make life easier working on your FJ.

Shaft Type Seal Puller
7 Pc. Metric Socket T-Handle
T-Handle Rack

Robert - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

I have added the clutch lever and pivot to stock.

86-95 Yamaha Clutch Lever
Yamaha Clutch Lever Pivot

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

RPM is now a GIVI dealer. They have a warehouse in Reno which is only one day away from the shop.

You can go to the GIVA website and if you see it there, I can get it for you; http://www.giviusa.com/

I have not added anything to inventory at this point as there are so many options GIVI offers.

As the new years rolls around, I will start looking at adding their items to the website, but need to know where to start.

If there is anything GIVI related you need, please let me know and I will see what I can do for you.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Well, it has been quite a while since there has been a RPM parts update and a lot needs to be updated.

I have added a lot of brake parts including brake rotors and we are currently testing both brake & clutch radial master cylinders. The results so far are very promising and I really hope to have the testing done in the next couple of months. I can offer you this; I am not testing any offshore parts as I am just not comfortable selling those items to you.

I am awaiting the BRAKING brand floating brake rotors for the late model bikes, but I have the solid rotor in stock. They have two options of the floating rotor. I have sold a bunch of the solid rotors already and they all have great reviews. In fact this is the only rear brake rotor Mike Ramos has not warped compared to all of the other eBay and name brands that did warp. BRAKING is an Italian company and I have been very impressed with the quality of each and every item I have received & tested and am proud to offer them to you.

BRAKING Brake Rotor
EBC Brake Rotor
EBC X Brake Rotor
EBC XC Brake Rotor
Yamaha Brake Rotor Bolt

For those who are buying FJR front brake master cylinders with the three wire brake light switch, RPM now has a bolt on, replacement switch to allow your FJ brake lights to work properly and not be constantly illuminated.

FJR Brake Master Cylinder Switch

For those that are rebuilding from forks, the copper washer at the external damper rod bolt is now available;

Gasket, Copper Fork Damper Washer

As an answer to the obsolete carb choke plunger from Yamaha, I now have this plunger kit available;

Choke Plunger Replacement Kit

I have also now produced the obsolete lower two throttle cables for the 84-90 FJ1100/FJ1200:

84-90 Throttle Cable 3
84-90 Throttle Cable 4

We have added a carb O-ring only kit for those who have already purchased the screw & O-ring kit and don't need all of the screws as well as Intake O-rings & needle shim washers

FJ11-12/XJ12/XJR13 O-Ring Carburetor Kit
Intake Manifold O-Ring Kit
.5mm Main Jet Needle Shims

EBC clutch parts have also been added for a wider range of available products above the Yamaha & Barnett products;

EBC Clutch Spring
EBC Clutch Pack

More tools have also been added;

Yamaha Damper Rod Holder
Chain Alignment Tool

The UNI air filter specified cleaner is now in stock;

UNI Filter Cleaner Spray

I have added K&N recharge kits at the request of those running the K&N air box & pod filters;

K&N Recharge Kit (Squeeze Bottle)
K&N Recharge Kit (Aerosol)

I have added the WPS brand of lithium Ion batteries. These batteries are lightweight and include a charge level indicator as well;

84-90 WPS Lithium Battery
91-93 WPS Lithium Battery

I am now stocking many more NGK spark plugs, including standard plugs as well as step colder range plug in both standard and Iridium;

NGK - Standard Spark Plug (Standard Heat Range)
NGK - Iridium Racing Spark Plug (1 Stage Colder Heat Range)
NGK - Spark Plug (1 Stage Colder than Stock)

And then there are general items that have been requested and added to stock;

86-93 Speedometer Cover Lens
86-93 Yamaha FJ Choke Cable and Reserve Switch Cover
Course Thread Oil Cap
Oil Level Sensor
Yamaha Pick-Up Cover
Yamaha FJ Exhaust Collector Gasket

There is now a washable & reusable canister filter element for use with the stock oil filter canister housing;

Reusable Stainless Steel Canister Filter

I also now have a HID headlight kit in stock and I am currently testing a LED headlight kit for the near future;

HID Head Light kit

For the XJR1300 folks, I have assembled a complete fork tube rebuild kit which also uses the NOK brand, Yamaha supplied seals.

RPM/XJR 43mm Fork Rebuild Kit

The RPM t-shirts have been redesigned with a smaller logo on the front and Yamaha apparel is starting to find its way to the shelf too. RPM hats should be available in the next couple of weeks as well.

RPM T-Shirt
Yamaha T-Shirt

Tires...
   If anyone would like to check with me before buying tires, please let me know. I have access to the following brands:
Michelin
Shinko (radial & bias ply)
  They have a 16" rear radial. I have just ordered a set and will be installing them next week couple of weeks for testing on my stock 92. I want to get them tested before converting over to the 17" non ABS configuration
Pirelli
Metzeler (radial & bias ply)

I am not stocking tires so I can ensure you get the freshest tire possible and I can usually get them overnight. I also have both a tire machine and electronic spin balancer for full service.

I want to thank everyone for their continued support. If not for you supporting me, I would not be able to continue to invest in new parts for the FJ. Parts continue to be discontinued by Yamaha and they are forever gone unless myself, or someone else, steps up to start manufacturing the item(s) again.

It was good to see everyone at the recent rallies and I appreciate your support and kind words. I really do have a lot of fun with the FJ and I will continue to work diligently to invest in them and keep you on the road.

There are always twenty things going on around here at the shop, but we are here to support you. If you want to come by to say hi, or to have work done on your FJ, we are here for that as well. There are many things that are out there on the horizon coming from RPM that are either being tested, researched or just an idea on a piece of paper, but I never stop working to improve the FJ.

It still amazes me when people from other countries walk through the door and say, "Are you Randy?"

It truly is humbling.

It has been a real pleasure working on many FJ's over the past couple of years as we have be able to upgrade & update the FJ with current technology, bringing it out of the 80's & 90's into the 21st century. We continue to learn from everything we do, with everything we do we gain more knowledge and we are happy to pass that knowledge on to those who ask and need help.

For those of you who prefer Facebook, my youngest son also has developed a Facebook page, I am not sure how it works, but it is there as well and there will be semi-regular updates there as well;

RPM Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RPM/239886352721366

As always, every time you order from RPM, the parts on here, on the shelf ready to ship out to you. We strive for the same day shipping whenever possible and will continue to operate this way. You will never order a part from RPM and then have to wait for me to order it before shipping it to you.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to reach out to either Robert or myself and we will be glad to help.

Thank you, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Firehawk068

Randy, it was great to see you at the Black Hills Rally.
And I was really lusting after the exhaust system you had for sale there . :blush:
I just wish funds would allow the purchase right now.............

Anyway, sorry I didn't get to ride with you much, except the one blast down Deerfield Rd before the skies opened up.
Riding across the river, with water up to my knees will be a memory that sticks with me for quite awhile.  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

racerrad8

The time has come, at least for the time being, for the lower 48 United States of America, Yamaha FJ1100 & FJ1200 owners to be able to buy a professionally rebuilt set of FJ carbs outright. That's right no core required, but if you want to send your undamaged and rebuildable carbs back to RPM you will receive a online RPM credit of $150.00

These carbs are not just rebuilt using the "Chinese repair kits" like the other rebuilders, these are a full and complete carb rack tear down, clean & inspecting, then rebuilt and re-jetted for your specific application. Clean, re-plated hardware, carb internals replaced, stainless steel allen head screws and all new o-rings are used, resulting a set of carbs that is better than new as they are jetted for you.

Be careful of the other online & eBay carb rebuilders and please, read the fine print to see what you are actually getting when you win the "auction".

RPM carbs are the most comprehensive build on the market, we are ready for you to tell us your jetting requirements so you can bolt them on and go riding.

RPM Professional rebuild carbs

If you don't want to give up your "original" carbs, we can also rebuild your carbs if you want to send those in for rebuilding as well.

I have also added the re-plated carb hardware to the website as well.

Carb Cover Kit

Hopefully in the near future I can offer this carb package world wide.

Thank you, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

By way of uncompensated endorsement, I have to say my '93 absolutely purrs after I had Randy rebuild my carbs. Most notable during my short stay at the WCR up in Coleville, having run across the 9000' pass on CA108 without a hiccup, or hesitation. Just let him set'em and forget'em.

Thanks again, Randy, for your contribution to the legendary FJ world.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Mike Ramos

Ah yes, nothing quite like a well tuned & fine running FJ....

I happened to be with Rick and several others on the 2nd day of riding... 

Originally planning to stop at the summit to take pictures and await the others, when Rick and I stopped he immediately suggested to keep riding and to wait for the others further on down the road.  Without a second thought I concurred and on we went. 

It seemed neither one of us wanted to interrupt the reverie of a good ride.

Thoroughly enjoying the beautiful scenery as we ventured down into the foothills; we eventually passed a late model Porsche and flirting with triple digit speeds (left the driver wishing for Mr. B's Audi) motored into and waited at the preplanned foothill town for the others.

From a good to a great ride (!) ending our respective stays at the very enjoyable West Coast Rally.

Ride safe,

Midget   

racerrad8

I have received the Braking brand floating brake rotors for the FJ1200. These are really nice pieces and they are head & shoulders over anything you can get from Chinese brands via eBay, they are even much better than the EBC rotors.

I have both a non directional and lighter weight direction rotor in stock.

Floating Brake Rotor - Left
Floating Brake Rotor - Right

Float Brake Rotor - Non-directional

We are also in the process of testing Braking radial master cylinders as well. So far testing is going very well and their patented lever pivot technology allows for easy adjustment. Look for them in the near future as well.

Thank you for your continued support.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on June 24, 2015, 08:02:29 PM
I have received the Braking brand floating brake rotors for the FJ1200. These are really nice pieces and they are head & shoulders over anything you can get from Chinese brands via eBay, they are even much better than the EBC rotors.

Randy - RPM

In what way?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Mike Ramos

Hello everyone,

Speaking of radial master cylinders...

Some months prior to the West Coast Rally I began a search to improve the Blue Dot caliper's performance.  I have always used the master cylinder matched to the Blue Dots and stainless braided lines along with the HH brake pads.  Earlier this year when new front rotors were needed I invested in the EBC SD units.  Performance was and remained much better than stock.

It was hoped that not only an improvement in absolute stopping power could be achieved (which may be acceptable with the axial m/c) but also when on a winding roadway, quicker yet better controlled deceleration from high speed to modest speeds would be possible.  Already having the ability of two finger braking, additional factors considered were an improvement in "feel" and more linear stopping power.  Also desired was better performance in wet weather defined by a more gradual application of the brakes when the lever is engaged.

Based on information available and several postings on the Forum it appeared that a radial master cylinder would offer the best chance of completing the modernization of the front brakes.  So the search began: initially with a m/c from a 2003 Suzuki which although it had a remote reservoir, turned out to be an axial unit; this was followed by a Nissan radial - however with the clip-ons on the FJ the unit would not fit because, when looking from the bar end, it could not be rotated into position without interfering with the riser section of the clip-on.

Hoping that the third time was the charm, a Brembo unit which, while there was a compromise in positioning it close enough to the center line, again because of the style of FJ clip-ons, fitment was possible.  I rode with this m/c for several thousand miles and while a subtle improvement, the performance was not markedly better than the previous unit.

I then contacted Randy at R.P.M. and he researched additional options.  The m/c he suggested was another Made in Italy brand by the name of Braking.  This particular unit, in addition to the standard lever adjustment that positions the lever at various distances from the handle bar, has a second adjustment knob that involves a cam which in essence changes the fulcrum of the lever but with the added advantage that it is progressive, as the further the lever is squeezed, the cam appears to change the fulcrum, adding to the leverage all the while offering excellent "feel" using two fingers to engage the lever.

At one end of the adjustment the brakes come on hard and without delay - almost scary quick.  At the other end of the adjustment there is, relatively speaking, a momentary delay before the brakes come on hard. 

The brakes come on hard and continue to pull in a linear fashion -  incessantly and intensely  – interestingly the release seems to be improved by being better modulated, allowing a more gradual, better controlled release which enables continued braking a little deeper into a turn. 

Both adjustments can be made effortlessly on the fly.  An added plus is the brake lever folds up in case of a fall and I continue to use the same brake lines as before.  Although the brake switch is now located in the m/c banjo bolt, connecting it to the existing wiring is simple.

In excess of 7,000 miles with this radial m/c, while perhaps not exponentially better than before, from a safety stand point it is a major improvement nonetheless and well worth the investment. Not to mention it is a significant enhancement of braking performance which improves one's confidence and hence the enjoyment of each ride.

Ride safe,

Mike Ramos.

Urban_Legend

Hi Mike

Along with upgrading the wheels on my FJ11 I want to upgrade the Master Cylinders as well (brake and clutch) Which model of Braking brand MC did you use?

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Mike Ramos

Howdy Mark,

Without looking at the invoice I actually do not know!  I should be home over the weekend and will let you know at that time.

My understanding is RPM continues to test models of this brand for fitment as well as performance with stock calipers.  I do not know where they are in testing but once it is completed no doubt they will be made available.

Ride safe,

Mike