News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RPM Parts Update

Started by racerrad8, September 09, 2011, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

Quote from: Pat Conlon on June 17, 2019, 09:14:14 PM
Randy, has PG&E shut off power in Oakdale before?
I thought they were concerned with wind events in forest regions.

I have a portable Honda 5kW generator which runs on natural gas (no need for refilling) I can plug in to my manual transfer switch (very important for safety) and get my house running in 5 minutes.
Those Honda genpac's  are top shelf equipment and very quiet.

My family in CT all have emergency generators that come on automatically seconds after their mains power cuts out. The generators also come on automatically for a couple of minutes every Saturday afternoon as a check to ensure that they're working. As they live in a heavily wooded area with the power lines running through the trees the area where they live has a lot of power outages, especially in winter or during high winds.

The generators work superbly and power everything as if there was no supply interruption. They run on LPG from separate tanks in the garden, close to the house that will keep the generators running for about 3 days from full. Over the last couple of years, when I've spent about 4 months per year there, I reckon I've experienced at least 6-8 times each year, for times longer than about 15 minutes.

Don't know if they'd be suitable for use, or how costly a suitable one would be.

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

racerrad8

Quote from: Pat Conlon on June 17, 2019, 09:14:14 PM
Randy, has PG&E shut off power in Oakdale before?

Nope,  never even a word about until now.

Really don't know if a generator is cost effective.

Might be time for solar with battery storage to cover any outages that they force upon us.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Tuned forks

We've received the notices in SF as well.  Not sure receiving the notice ensures that you will be part of the blackouts.

Randy, because PG&E shut off the power to my Dad, in Lake Co, last year he insisted on a generator.  We bought a Kohler 14kw unit with automatic transfer switch, Oncue (talks to your WiFi) and a startup contract with the vendor.  That was $5000.  Spent another $4000 with an electrical contractor to wire everything up.  A used 500 gal propane tank was $1500.  Yes, it was expensive but there are ways to cut back particularly if you have friends that can wire and plumb the unit.
Regarding your solar idea, that's our next step.  Dad pays about $300/month for electricity.  Without paying for the battery backup, solar is not all that expensive...relatively speaking.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

FJ1200W

As luck would have it, I stumbled on a discarded battery backup that holds 10 or so of those small batteries.
It's a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) that has easily run my computer for 45 minutes and just the router/wireless modem for countless hours. I've printed off of it as well.
If/when the power goes out, the computer does not even flicker, it never knows anything happened, flawless.  
I spent maybe $140.00 on quality new replacement batteries - it was discarded because it quit working, doh!
Keep your eyes out for the older big battery backups, they can had for pennies on the dollar and they function fine.
This one also has a place to connect more batteries, probably as many as I want, deep cycle 12V batteries are not outrageously prices, they could utilize solar recharging for not a lot of money, thanks Harbor Freight.  
I think it was for a network, overkill for what I needed, but for the computer, this one rocks, making it about just right.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

The 2019 RPM Independence Day sales event begins today and last until Monday July 8th. Everything is stock is on sale during this event.

If you are a Bronze, Silver or Gold contributor you will find a coupon code in your contribution section for additional savings.

If you are not a contributing member of the FJ owners.com forum, it is not too late. Check out this link for all of the details: An FJowners Membership has its privileges

All memberships are updated within a 24 hour period so there is time to get in on the RPM Independence Day Sales Event.

Thank you for your continued support.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Millietant

Just a quick note to wish all of our fellow, American, FJ Owners a very happy Independence Day.

My wife and I are currently in the USA visiting family and have just enjoyed a very pleasant evening celebrating Independence Day in style with them, with no hard feelings  :lol:

The perfect way to finish off dinner - Grand Marnier 100.

Red White and Blue cake !

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

racerrad8

Thanks Milletant,

It was a great day.  Started with a great parade,  an afternoon nap,  great BBQ followed by a great display of fireworks.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

I hope everyone in the states had a great holiday weekend.

Just a reminder,  there is still time to save money during the RPM 4th of July sales event.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

RPM - Robert

The new RPM shirts have arrived. I had to convince pops that we needed to add blue to the graphics. He conceded and the shirt now comes in either red or blue.

RPM T-Shirt

Get them hot off the silk screen press.

BTW, I am working on RPM hats for the near future as well. :good2:

FJmonkey

What??? No Gold??

I like the Red.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ryanschoebel

I like the blue! Ill probably add one to my next order
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

giantkiller

I like the blue too. I just ordered the carb  allen and orings last night would have added one but didn't know :Facepalm:
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

racerrad8

RPM customer Tyler Kussman tearing up the track in Fayetteville NC.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: giantkiller on July 28, 2019, 12:39:07 PM
I like the blue too. I just ordered the carb  allen and orings last night would have added one but didn't know

Dan, just call or email Robert tomorrow and he can add one to the order before sending it out.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

giantkiller

Thanks Randy. I'll try sending him an email tonight. Have to work tomorrow 7am -7pm. And I don't want to hold up the order.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1