News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RPM Parts Update

Started by racerrad8, September 09, 2011, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

We have had a couple of calls in the last couple of weeks and I experienced it this weekend on a customers bike. The ignition switch plug melting and allowing the terminals to short out inside the plug. The result is the bike wont shut off...

If you come across this issue, RPM has you covered with a replacement plug kit for both the bike side and the switch side: FJ Replacement Ignition Plug Kit

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ryanschoebel

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 05, 2019, 12:44:33 PM
The result is the bike wont shut off...

Randy - RPM

Uhh, how do you kill the bike then? Stall it?
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

racerrad8

Quote from: ryanschoebel on August 05, 2019, 06:42:55 PM
Uhh, how do you kill the bike then? Stall it?

That works, but usually the kill switch. Then you have to unhook the battery to turn of the headlight and all of the electrical system controlled by the ignition switch.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

RPM - Robert

WPS recently lowered the price on their featherweight series lithium batteries, so we are passing the savings on to you. Put your FJ on a summer diet and shed a few pounds with the the lightweight highpower lithium batteries.

84-90 WPS Lithium Battery
91-93 WPS Lithium Battery

Pat Conlon

Robert, what does WPS state as the maximum charging voltage for their lithium battery?

I'll bet you a jelly donut that it's lower than the 15+ volts the early FJ's see as output.
My point is that if you are going to drop that kind of money on a battery, you may want to do the Voltage Regulator mod first.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

RPM - Robert

According to the instructions they are good to 14.9v but the regulator is not a bad idea. These WPS batteries and some of the newer lithium batteries are much better than when they first came out, as with alot of things. When we first started selling Shorai they were very finicky about the charging and you even had to buy their "special" charger for them. The new ones coming out are much more durable and we haven't had any problems with them like the Shorai.

FWIW Yuasa AGM batteries have a MSRP of $12 cheaper than the featherweight batteries now the price of the WPS batteries dropped. Plus, in California there is now a recycling tax when selling the AGM batteries https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/l536.pdf currently $1 and then $2 in 2022. So for $11 more you get a higher CCA battery that is lighter and supposed to last longer than AGM. That's why we don't even offer AGM batteries anymore.

Mike Ramos

Good discussion gentlemen,

Re: the over charge issue - it may be that there is over charge protection built into the WPS battery.

When my FJ went into sudden & extreme over charge everything that was on burned out; bulbs, relays et al.

The only exceptions were the radar detector (which has low & high voltage protection) and the WPS battery, which I continue to use to this day.

Before utilizing the WPS there were problems with the Sorrai & the WPS is certainly more robust.

For a few additional dollars, a good investment.

Ride safe,

Midget

aviationfred

I have used the WPS Fire Power Lithium battery on my 95 for about a year now. Absolutely wonderful battery. Just ordered another for my 1990 project FJ.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

Good to see some positive feedback coming through on the Lithium batteries. On information to date I have not been prepared to risk one myself nor recommend them. I replaced the FJ battery 6 mths ago and the battery man was still a bit iffy about reliability.
No doubt by the time I need another battery in 5 years time, the technology will have improved out of sight, sounds like they're almost there now.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bones

Noel, I fitted an SSB  powersports lithium battery to my bike a couple of months ago, CCA was advertised as 290 but i got a docket in the box that said it tested at 340 CCA. Just look at the button now and it springs to life.  Charging voltage on my bike maxes at 14.5 volts so shouldn't have any problems there. The cost is higher, I paid $179.00, but if the blurb is correct about lasting 3 times a normal battery, then I should get at least 10 yrs out of it. Pluses are it's about 1/3 of the weight and can be charged if need be with a normal charger.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on August 15, 2019, 05:57:11 AM
Noel, I fitted an SSB  powersports lithium battery to my bike a couple of months ago, CCA was advertised as 290 but i got a docket in the box that said it tested at 340 CCA. Just look at the button now and it springs to life.  Charging voltage on my bike maxes at 14.5 volts so shouldn't have any problems there. The cost is higher, I paid $179.00, but if the blurb is correct about lasting 3 times a normal battery, then I should get at least 10 yrs out of it. Pluses are it's about 1/3 of the weight and can be charged if need be with a normal charger.

That's great to hear Tony, with 340 CCA it wouldn't matter if the engine didn't start, you'd probably get 20km's on the starter motor.

Lithium batteries certainly seem to have come of age.

The irony here is, it was the state manager for SSB who suggested going AGM one more time. This was based on some of the places I go and the need for reliability if something went haywire with the electrics. Nudging 400kg with rider and loaded for a trip, the weight saving is of no interest but I like the way lithium batteries deliver their power.

I got 5 years/100,000km from the last battery and while it would still spin the motor over healthily (but not for too long), neither the ignition nor the fuel pump liked the voltage drop.

Lithium next time for sure!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

I have a shorai in my raptor 700. Has to be at least 6 years old I'm thinking longer. Bought it just after they started selling them. It sat for a year after I crashed it. Outside my other house with out being started. Then I had the frame straightened. And rode it a few times. Then. Sat in storage rental for 2 year's. Then 2years next to my shed... Many -20 f days and nights. Campbellsport just made it legal to ride ATVs on any street. I needed something from the hardware store. So I thought I'll see if my ATV starts and take that. Pushed the button started right up. Rode it out of the weeds to the store. And backed it back into the weeds.
Never once had a charger attached.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

racerrad8

Wow, 2019 is flying by.  :gamer:

Robert asked my today if we were having a Labor Day Sale this year. I looked at the calendar and realized it is less than two weeks away...

The 2019 RPM Labor Day sales event will be occurring over the week prior to Labor day and extending until Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend. The sale will be from 8/26- 9/03. Everything in stock will be marked down for this sales event.

If you are a Bronze, Silver or Gold contributor you will find a coupon code in your specific section for additional savings. For all contributing members, keep an eye out for your coupon code somewhere next weekend.

If you are not a contributing member of the FJ owners.com forum, it is not too late. Check out this link for all of the details: A FJowners Membership has its privileges

All memberships are updated within a 24 hour period so there is time to get in on the RPM Labor Holiday Sales Event.

Thank you for your continued support.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Starquest

Hi. What crimping tool do you need for the ignition switch connectors?

RPM - Robert

The discount codes have been posted to the contributing members sections for the upcoming RPM Labor Day Sales Event.

Everyone can save 10% on all in stock items purchases during this sale. Contributing members receive additional discounts levels for even more savings.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable Labor Day Holiday.

Robert