News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM Parts Update

Started by racerrad8, September 09, 2011, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Filetti

A perfect/ near perfect restoration would be the ONLY reason you'd want that Yamaha Tool kit in my mind.  As was alluded to, you could easily put together a much higher quality, much more comprehensive tool kit for that $$. 

My $0.02

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

WhiteBeard

Quote from: craigo on May 16, 2012, 04:02:22 PM
Quote from: WhiteBeard on May 16, 2012, 01:17:12 PM
Would also be interested in rear indicator lights from one of the later models, for the ones of us who would like to upgrade to the teardrops...  :pardon:

Jeez Nat, I got a set collecting dust on the shelf.  :wacko3:
Your brake parts are on the way, shoulda, woulda, coulda, oppps  :empathy3:

CraigO

Gosh Craig,

where would this solidarity end?

I will be able to source them from Ebay UK or something I am sure.
Funny coincidence though.

Thanks for the thought.

WhiteBeard

Yes, the pricing on the tool kit was a bit steep for my wallet (not your fault Randy).

Randy, I sent you a PM regarding the indicators.

racerrad8

Quote from: racerrad8 on May 16, 2012, 12:54:52 PM
I did receive a bunch of part this week but just not had a chance to add them to inventory yet, they include; Side panel oval & round grommets, Swing arm & linage bearings/bushings/seals, Foot peg rubber washers & small head bolts, Fairing protectors (blk covers), Swing arm chain wear block, Odometer Knobs, and another order is scheduled for today as well.

Randy - RPM

Okay, the following items have been added to the RPM inventory tonight.

84-85 FJ1100 Petcock
Swing Arm Wear Block
89-93 Fairing Protector 1
89-93 Fairing Protector 2
86-87 Fairing Protector 1
86-87 Fairing Protector 2 (On B/O scheduled for next week)
Odometer Trip Rest Knob
Rubber Backed Foot Peg Washer
Bolt for Rubber Backed Washer

I am working on the small head shifter pivot bolt, I have ordered several bolts trying to determine what will work since the FJ bolt has been discontinued.

I have also received all of the swingarm & linkage bushings, bearings and races. I am trying to determine if I should offer this as a kit or the part individually.

If you are in need of any of the swingarm parts prior to them being added to my inventory.

Thanks again and keep the recommendations for stocking items coming in, if the price is right and there could be a market, I will consider adding it the the RPM inventory.

Thanks, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 16, 2012, 04:06:41 PM
A perfect/ near perfect restoration would be the ONLY reason you'd want that Yamaha Tool kit in my mind.  As was alluded to, you could easily put together a much higher quality, much more comprehensive tool kit for that $$. 

My $0.02

Dan

Dan, I know and I am of the same opinion, unless for a resto not worth the price.

But there are those out there who want the O.E. stuff and I want to be able to accommodate them if they need it.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

RPM is now a Shorai Battery dealer.

I have the FJ batteries in stock and can special order all others if you need something else.

I also have the Shorai specific charger in stock as the normal maintenance chargers are not compatible with the Shorai battery.

Check them out at www.RPMracingCa.com

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Arnie

Randy,

What is the difference between the up to 90 and the 91+ batteries other than terminal position?  Why the $70 diff in price?

Arnie

Quote from: racerrad8 on May 17, 2012, 06:33:10 PM
RPM is now a Shorai Battery dealer.

I have the FJ batteries in stock and can special order all others if you need something else.

I also have the Shorai specific charger in stock as the normal maintenance chargers are not compatible with the Shorai battery.

Check them out at www.RPMracingCa.com

Randy - RPM

Dan Filetti

Huh?  Really?  Or is this just a ploy to sell battery chargers?

Seems really odd to me that of the hundreds of brands of batteries out there, Shorai are the only ones (that I have heard about anyway) that require a proprietary charger.

Randy, when you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear what you've been told is the difference.

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

The General

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 17, 2012, 11:25:10 PM

Huh?  Really?  Randy, when you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear what you've been told is the difference.

Dan

+1   I got a shorai battery i use as a floater. (spare between bikes). Didn`t know I needed another charger.  Doug
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

pdxfj

Their batteries are Lithium based, which usually require a specific charger.

Back in the day when Lithium batteries were first being used in R/C airplane applications most people used a standard charger which at times resulted in overcharging the packs and starting a Lithium fire.  Dozens of people's houses burned down or vehicles caught fire (common to charge batteries at the air field from your car).  Those of us registered to fly R/C airplanes received a letter in the mail warning of the issue.

Looking at Shorai's FAQ this is what they have to say.. they do say that a "tender" is not usually required because of the low natural discharge rate of Lithium based batteries.  http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

QuoteQ. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?
A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.

If it was me buying one, I would get the charger for it.  Lithium fires are very nasty.

Pat Conlon

Thanks Garth, that's good info. to know. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ Flyer

I put a Shorai inthe FJR. It so freakin light you think its an empty shelll. The FJR has the battery up high in the front right side of the fairing, so the weight loss helps. And it spins the motor faster. I believe a Battery Tender meets the Shorai requirements and is approved/does not void the warranty.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

RichBaker

Damn, wish I'd known.... Just got a Shorai for the WR, put it in yesterday.  1/3rd the weight and it definitely spins the engine faster.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

racerrad8

Quote from: Arnie on May 17, 2012, 07:47:11 PM
Randy,

What is the difference between the up to 90 and the 91+ batteries other than terminal position?  Why the $70 diff in price?

Arnie

Arnie,

I cannot answer on the pricing issue, but they are a different battery in size & capacity. I have them listed at their suggest price and have no personal experience with them. I added them based on the inquiries to purchase them.

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 17, 2012, 11:25:10 PM
Huh?  Really?  Or is this just a ploy to sell battery chargers?

Seems really odd to me that of the hundreds of brands of batteries out there, Shorai are the only ones (that I have heard about anyway) that require a proprietary charger.

Randy, when you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear what you've been told is the difference.

Dan

Garth,
         Thanks for posting the response. While I do not claim to know much about these batteries yet, I plan on understanding more as time goes along. The one thing that they told me and was listed in the response from Garth is the design of most maintenance battery chargers is they maintain 100% of the battery capacity. The Shorai battery should not be held at 100% as it leads to premature failure. They told me this is why 99% of the returned batteries comeback to them.

Their charger maintains the 20% remaining capacity and when you are ready to use you just hit the recharge button and within a short time (30-45mins) it is full charged and ready for use.

I will say that as I have received and sent them out already, they are cool batteries. They are super light, more powerful and do not have acid in the to spill on the bike and corrode the parts.

The will end up in my bikes when I need to replace batteries next time.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj11.5

the new batteries sound great , but I can't wait for my uni pods and rear shock spanner to arrive , , thanks rpm  :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne