News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

What's a Kookaloo?

Started by eddohawk, September 27, 2011, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

Quote from: FJTillDeath on September 28, 2011, 01:16:56 AM
I think Marsh should make the Kookaloo a sticky thread so that the new members dont have to keep asking, as it is a very intriguing word.

What the rest of yous think?

I agree, at this stage, its history and origin are integral to the east coasties if not the whole group..... 

ALMOST AS MUCH AS A FJ ownership might have been in the beginning.

Now, "What did you replace your FJ with Rally"

What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

momodasaint

Hi all from East Coast Australia, where we are currently known as Brisbane 1 cos we have your president.  Haha!  No seriously, we have him....hey why are there three big black FourWheel Drives doing in my driveway?  oh oh maybe I shouldn't of said that. ...   

Anyways ,  I would like to say that the term has always intrigued me, and I thought , to be honest, that getting the knowledge of it was something that I would eventually earn amongst the comminity.  Gees, its starnge, because I can remember at least ten occasions when sitting at a red light , pondering , just what is Kookaloo?  I have thought of simply asking, but I felt that would be a no no for some reason. Dont ask me why! (that would take a trained psychotherapist years to unravel)

So I had so many theories...for example, perhaps the bike produced a noticable sound at just the right rev. like just above idle in fifth, kookaloo kookaloo kookaloo, or at 8000rpm in fifth as the bike goes past you makes a sound like, koooOOOOO KaloooooOOOOOO . I honestly thought that it would become evident only after you owned the bike a while, unless someone told you of course. I really did think that one day, under some condition, when all the stars were aligned that I would hear that sound.   

But now that I have been given the history, I do understand.  Recently after a conversation with a friend that owns a new Ducati Diavel , I thought I might try and see where the FJ1100 topspeed is, as he had said his Ducati topped out at 285km/h in the Sports Mode(see dictionary for -  absolutley insane mode).   So as I got to a nice stretch of private highway I warmed the old girl up. At 100 km/h my 1100 rolls along at approx 5000rpm in fifth. I'm not sure if this bike has standard sprockets, it does perform poorly when it comes to highway fuel consumption. So I knocked her back to fourth, climbed to 170 km/h in maybe two seconds, changed to fifth and gave it all it had. Almost instatly im at 200 , I briefly notice that the RPM is bouncing around 7000, but eyes back on the road, still accelerating and going by the sound of the engine, it felt like it had just got to where the power is and I noticed I was doing 230 something by the time I took it off the gas I 'd say that I had to be doing 250 km/h but I wasnt looking at the speedo I can assure you of that. Now  I can say Kookaloo and feel that I know, wink wink.
My current ride
   XJR1300 SP 2000
My XJR1300 is just like Van Morrison Sings "She's as sweet as Tupolo Honey, Honey baby, from the bee"
 Previous rides
    FJ1100 1984  
    FJ1100 1985
    ZZR600 1995
    ZZR250 1998
    XT250  1990
    YZ125  1994

fjfool

Urban_Legend

After reading through this thread, it is obvious that Kookaloo" means lots of things to many people.

My personal feeling is, it is not necessarily the feeling of going flat out to redline (although that is awesome and certainly worth a Kookaloo), but it is the feeling you get when you nail a twisty bit of road or when you go for a ride and at the end all you want to do is get back on the bike and do it again. It is standing back and looking at the bike and just longing to start it.

It is all the feelings of "fuck yeah, this is one cool machine". It is not an expression I have heard of in other bike riding circles (always had Trumpies - Sprint ST 955 and Daytona 675 - before the FJ) and as far as I know there is no other equivalent.

So for all the FJ riders, get your groove on and Kookaloo. Happy travels and keep the rubber down.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 06, 2015, 09:38:13 PM
After reading through this thread, it is obvious that Kookaloo" means lots of things to many people.

My personal feeling is, it is not necessarily the feeling of going flat out to redline (although that is awesome and certainly worth a Kookaloo), but it is the feeling you get when you nail a twisty bit of road or when you go for a ride and at the end all you want to do is get back on the bike and do it again. It is standing back and looking at the bike and just longing to start it.

It is all the feelings of "fuck yeah, this is one cool machine". It is not an expression I have heard of in other bike riding circles (always had Trumpies - Sprint ST 955 and Daytona 675 - before the FJ) and as far as I know there is no other equivalent.

So for all the FJ riders, get your groove on and Kookaloo. Happy travels and keep the rubber down.

Mark

+1 from another Mark  :good2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

:good2:from yet another Mark. :yahoo:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

The General

Kookaloo is such an appropriate word for an FJ here in Australia.

Our "Kooka" is a native that's laughs it`s head off, a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZbykXlg6Q

While our "Loo" is where you shit yourself!   :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Alte Fahrt

Just got around to reading this one and it was good. We may have one of those Kookaloo things coming. My 15 year old son wants to go fast. The fastest I've ridden with him is about 130 kph. Tomorrow we're going to buy his road warrior gear and maybe Sunday we'll give it a try. :yahoo:
There are bold riders.
There are old riders.
There are no old bold riders.

rlucas

Quote from: Alte Fahrt on April 29, 2016, 01:47:19 PM
Just got around to reading this one and it was good. We may have one of those Kookaloo things coming. My 15 year old son wants to go fast. The fastest I've ridden with him is about 130 kph. Tomorrow we're going to buy his road warrior gear and maybe Sunday we'll give it a try. :yahoo:

Keep in mind - the Kookaloo isn't about velocity alone. It's exhilaration, not just acceleration. It applies to anything that gives you that charge, that thrill in the center of your being.

It's a state of mind.  :good:

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Alte Fahrt

Went out and spent a small fortune on the little monster. We got him a two piece zip together sheltex suit with pads in all the right places. We bought one that was a little big but he is still growing. We also got a good pair of boots and gloves. We made a test ride with it this morning and he is a happy camper. Just have to hope for good weather tomorrow and remember to charge up the radios.
There are bold riders.
There are old riders.

Alte Fahrt

5:30am Out of bed and take the dog out. He is a little confused since we normally go out about 7:30.

6:00am First cup of coffee and a smoke.

6:15am Second cup of coffee and a smoke. I'm nervous about the ride. It's been about 40 years since I made a high speed run.

6:30am Wake up Markus and tell him to gear up.

6:50am Outside looking over the bike before the ride.

Ride down the road to Wallau and get on the A66. Immediately change to the A3 in the direction of Limburg. As we gain speed a bike goes flying by. Couldn't see what it was but it was wound so tight it sounded like a chain saw. Sunday mornings bring out all the speed demons. I told Markus we would slowly pick up speed and to let me know if it was too fast. Three lanes each way and German law says you drive on the right unless passing. Traffic is light and I'm in the middle lane.

Passing the Medenbach rest area we're running about 160 kph and I move into the left lane. I'll take my chances with the law. Add a little more throttle.

As we pass the Neidernhausen exit I'm on the tank. Markus is trying to make himself as small as possible and hanging on for dear life. Speedo reads about 180.

More gas as we head down the hill to Idstien. Exit sign is somewhat blurred. Speedo reads just over 210. Traffic is coming up from behind so I move into the middle lane. This scares the hell out of me because I'm afraid some slow poke will pull out to pass. A Porsche and a Ferrari go by. The Porsche pulls into the middle lane and the Ferrari roars off. The Porsche and I go back into the left lane as he pulls away.

The Bad Camburg exit is coming up and back off the gas. The old beast reluctantly starts to slow down. We take the exit and cruise down the off ramp. I take a left to go under the autobahn and go back on the other side. Markus asks "Can we stop at the Bad Camburg rest area?" I answer "Yes. Why?" He replies "I need to go to the toilet." I park and he hops off and hands me his helmet. His goes on one mirror and mine on the other. Time for a smoke and to enjoy the speed rush. A few minutes later he comes back with the biggest sh*t eating grin you've ever seen. As we're getting ready to leave I ask him "How fast do you want to go?" His reply was "Faster than normal but not that fast."

We cruise back home at about 150. We pull in the driveway, park, and go inside to get out of all the gear. The wife is just getting up and asks him if we had a good ride. His answer was a resounding "Yes"

He has had that  same grin on his face all morning. I just can't help thinking about an old US Army slogan. We do more before 8am than most people do all day long.

Was it a Kookalo? I don't know but I believe it will be my last high speed run. I will turn 62 in less than 2 weeks

There are bold riders.
There are old riders.

ribbert

:boredom:
Quote from: Alte Fahrt on May 01, 2016, 03:35:19 AM

Was it a Kookalo? I don't know but I believe it will be my last high speed run. I will turn 62 in less than 2 weeks

Yes, it was Kookaloo and I'm pleased you and the young fella could enjoy it together and had fun.

It may be your last high speed ride, but only if you choose it to be, don't cite age as the reason though.

Noel (62 yo and faster than ever!)
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

TexasDave

Quote from: ribbert on May 01, 2016, 05:32:09 AM
:boredom:
Quote from: Alte Fahrt on May 01, 2016, 03:35:19 AM

Yes, it was Kookaloo and I'm pleased you and the young fella could enjoy it together and had fun.

It may be your last high speed ride, but only if you choose it to be, don't cite age as the reason though.

Noel (62 yo and faster than ever!)
Dave (62 yo and trying to be as fast as I was at 22)  and he can try to deny it, but after George(Movenon) took over the lead at the last central rally the pace picked up considerably! 
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.