News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

'93 FJ1200 Not starting.

Started by davegsm82, September 29, 2011, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegsm82

Hi Everyone, I've recently bought a FJ1200 which was running when I got it, however when I lifted the tank yesterday I found a rats-nest of wires cut and shut (joined by twisting together then taping up!) together where someone has bodged on a set of clocks from something else (not sure what). I've

I'll upload some photo's soon, as i'm not sure whats original and what's not, all in all the bike is a bit of a rat, but it goes like stink (on the one run i've taken it on).

So, can someone tell me where the feed from the starting switch goes to? with the bike in neutral pressing the starter button does nothing now. Previously there was an alarm immobiliser in a red wire with a white trace (I think) from the fuse box in front of the battery, but i've removed this and re-joined the wires.

Any help on this one is much appreciated.

thanks, Dave.

davegsm82

Ok, got it running, it was the multi-way connector under the tank, pin 5 blue wire with white trace from the starter switch. The pins in the plug were grotty and not making a good enough connection.

Can you still buy the connectors ready to crimp onto the old wires?

Here are some pictures of the bike and its horrendous wiring, can someone tell me what I've bought (other than being an FJ1200?) Please bare with me, this is my first Yam, in fact its my first big bike, my commuter is a MZ ETZ301.

Dave.

SlowOldGuy

Search for a company called Vintage Connections (probably Vintageconnections.com).  I believe Rich Baker provided a link to them in a recent post.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the post topic. 

But I just ordered a bunch of their product.  They offer OEM style multi-plug connectors just for what you're trying to do.  If you do this route, be sure to get their pin crimper also.  Nice stuff.

DavidR.

DavidR.

Harvy

Dave, hard to tell with most of the styling Q's missing.
Looking at the exhaust hangers, my guess is maybe its 4th generation (91'->).
Have you found the VIN number on the bike yet? 10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T), 1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3), 2004(4), 2005(5), 2006(6), 2007(7), 2008(8)

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

mz_rider

Dave,

I fellow MZ owner! I rode a 301 Saxon for many years so I feel your pain (joking) Are you in the Riders Club? I intend to go the MZRC Rally in Bellingham, Northumberland this weekend - should be a good laugh. Forecast is 23C/73F this weekend - I love global warming.

As for your FJ "what have I bought?" mmmm a seriously hacked about with bike. I'm hopeless with electrics so I'd be tempted to replace the wiring loom. Ebay should have one. The clocks aren't FJ so I wonder how well they work.

Stuart

Steve_in_Florida

Looks to me to be a `91 or `92 non-ABS model.

What are your plans for it?

Restore to stock, or continue as a rat?
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

davegsm82

Harvey,

I've not found the VIN plate yet, although i've not been looking, where should I find it? The registration document says it was registered in 1993.

Quote from: mz_rider on September 29, 2011, 03:47:44 PM
Dave,

I fellow MZ owner! I rode a 301 Saxon for many years so I feel your pain (joking) Are you in the Riders Club? I intend to go the MZRC Rally in Bellingham, Northumberland this weekend - should be a good laugh. Forecast is 23C/73F this weekend - I love global warming.

Hi Stuart, My little MZ is doing sterling work at the minute, apart from getting a flat rear tyre on the way home from work today! (1 mile from home, tyre off the rim, had to call the woman to bring the spare wheel hahaha).

I'm not actually in the MZRC although everyone I ever talk to says I should be, just never got round to sorting it out, what's the website address?

As for Bellingham, well its not far from me, I'm in blyth which is probably only 30 miles or so, however we're visiting relatives in Alnwick this weekend so I very much doubt i'd make it, what time is the meet? I presume its not at the old cafe any more (I've been once before).

As for your FJ "what have I bought?" mmmm a seriously hacked about with bike. I'm hopeless with electrics so I'd be tempted to replace the wiring loom. Ebay should have one. The clocks aren't FJ so I wonder how well they work.

Stuart

Well the clocks work, with the exception of the Fuel gauge, everything else appears to (miraculously) function normally. Speedo seems to be round about the right sort of ball park, tacho probably isn't far off either.

Luckily my entire background is electronics, so the wiring loom isn't daunting at all (the only scary thing is wondering whats beneath all the tape :( ) but there are quite a few other things wrong with this bike;

Front forks pitted and leaking, meaning -
Front pads are now 50% fork oil.
Cylinder 3 exhaust flange (3rd from the left looking at the front of the engine) seems to be sealed with silicone!
Front brake light switch is knackered
Rear tyre is borderline
Terrible paint job on the frame (also extends to the wiring loom Grrr.....)
Don't like the headlights
Don't like where the headlights are mounted (want them on the headstock).
Horn is at the back of the bike under the seat cowling and doesn't work well, if at all(?!).
Front mudguard is rusted to bits.
Everything seems to be held on with hope and black tape.

Good bits,

Engine sounds sweet as a nut
Seems to start and run ok (now...)
Chain and sprockets look almost new
Disks look fairly recent.

Still, I probably can't complain as I paid the bargain basement price of £250 delivered to my door with 6 months MOT, I suppose its worth that in bits.

Steve_in_Florida,

Definitely a non-abs model, has digital ignition though, so not one of the real early ones.

I don't think its worth (or my budget can stretch to) putting it back to stock, but I don't like its ratty looks. I would like to have it almost how it is, but frame back to silver, some chequerboard covering the holes (which were covered with bits of a No Smoking sign!) and maybe back to the original clocks and a better headlight arrangement.

Dave.

Steve_in_Florida

Your VIN number is stamped in the frame, near the headset.

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Harvy

Dave.....hard to tell where the VIN plate would be. It seems that they are in different places depending on the country of original sale.
I have heard of some that are near the steering stem, others on the stem head stock. Mine is on the RHS perimeter frame rail - in plain view.
If the rear sub-frame is original, then I will still go for 4th generation. also the forks - if original- suggest '88->.
Another give away would be the swingarm - if original - '91-> is a painted steel swingarm.......prior to '91 the arm was aluminium.
Also '91-> had rubber engine mounts at the front.

HTH some.
Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

mz_rider

Dave,

It's a weekend camp in a site a short stagger from the local pubs.

There is an active section in the North East with regular meetings and rallies up & down the country.

MZRC website: http://www.mzridersclub.com/html/mz_riders_club.html

Best of luck with the FJ - looks like you could be busy this winter! Check out Ebay in the UK there is a ton of bits at good prices.

Stuart