News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

air filters

Started by ninjamuder, October 06, 2011, 08:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjamuder

hey guys, whats the uni p/n# for the dual inlet pods.....the k&n squirrel catchers i have on are hard as a rock, and dont stay where i left em!!!

would be great if someone has this handy, if i get lucky, and can get em out of the north carolina warehouse, i can have em for the up-coming weekend carb surgery :cray:
boscycleshop.com

HOOAH FT. CAMPBELL!!!!

ninjamuder

thank you, kind sir!!! :good:

was in a rush this morning, and missed this!!
boscycleshop.com

HOOAH FT. CAMPBELL!!!!

simi_ed

go to Randy at RPM Racing
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

racerrad8

I am unable to get the link Andy posted to work, so I am not sure if you got the part number.

I can send you a set today and you will have them by Saturday, I got an order in Yesterday.

Don't forget, you will need a breather filter as well if you are taking off the airbox.

Randy - RPM

www.RPMRacingCa.com
Randy - RPM

ninjamuder

randy....thanks for the heads-up......parts unlimited dosent stock these, so ill probably hit you up on em next week.....need a few other goodies that you have too.....

btw, have you any experience with a product called "flow-commander".....its a adjustable main jet air bleed system that allows you to make slight tweaks to the main jet circuit by adjusting bleed air ......works great on my fzr, but i have a really screwed up set up on that bike to get it to run right with my cam/pipe/carb /head mods...talk about a pain!!

take a look and tell me what you think
http://www.flo-commander.com/
boscycleshop.com

HOOAH FT. CAMPBELL!!!!

SlowOldGuy

I've always found the FJ carbs to be fairly lenient on tuning.  Unless you have something wrong with the carbs, or your engine equipment is way radical, I don't think main air bleed tuning is really required.  In fact, I've seen more than one description of what the main air bleed actually does.  According to Kevin Cameron, that bleed is only effective at WOT and is necessary to keep the flow of fuel from the main jet from swamping the intake mixture after the carbs have reached max air flow rate. 

At all other throttle conditions, the amount of air being drawn through the bleed probably has a minimal effect on the mid-range mixture.  I remember when those devices came out and were advertised with all kinds of wild (and unsubstantiated) performance claims.  There's probably a good reason why they're not advertised anymore.  Some of it has to do with the popularity of fuel injection, but it probably has more to do with the fact that tuning this air bleed was not really effective.  Really, how much variation in air flow through this restriction could there really be?  If it was that important it would be a removable jet, like the air pilot jet is,  rather than a simple fixed orifice.

If you've got carbs with non-adjustable needles and possibly a pair of cylinders that requires significantly different mid-range mixture than the other cylinder(s) (which would indicate a big flaw in the intake design) then this sort of device MAY help somewhat (but probably not).  Better tuning is to be had with needle shimming/clip position

Always seemed like Snake Oil to me, unless you paired this device with a Dial-a-Jet (another long gone device that was a poor substitute for properly tuned carbs). 

DavidR.

ninjamuder

eh... just a thought, i was skeptical myself, but after trying it on a buds fzr/yzf hybrid engine, i plonked em onto my fzr, and FINALLY got rid of the dreaded "fzr-with-pods-cam-overlap-ass dragging-lag" at 7500 rpm......pods and velocity stacks arent yery friendly on the earlier design genesis engines........kept asking santa for a nice set of fcr's for christmas...........guess i got caught on a few instances :ireful:
boscycleshop.com

HOOAH FT. CAMPBELL!!!!

andyb

I'm with David on this.  The flo-commander and dial-a-jet systems are really just bandaid fixes for things being jetting improperly in the first place.  I can see where they'd be useful for some (going from pump gas to MR12 and back, for example), but no substitute for getting things dialed in properly in the first place.

If you really want to spend $150-$300 on that sort of thing, why not spend a bit more and have a proper dyno session?  Do your research first, not all dyno shops are the same, of course.