News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ1100 Clutch Master Cylinder??

Started by buschdogg, October 15, 2011, 05:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buschdogg

Far south side.  Country Club Hills, right between Homewood and Tinley Park :)

Flying Scotsman

Im in Hillside but only temporary.Got my bikes up in palatine.What are you doing to your bike ?Clutch Master cylinder sounds easy enough or are you doing a bunch of stuff.I might have an old master cylinder but would need to look to be sure.Would like to see your bike I dont see many of them.I have 2 bikes to work on and a Honda Civic so they keep me busy but I would help if I could.Ride it out,I will go get my 1100 (need to put the pick up coils back in) and we can go for a ride.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

buschdogg

Quote from: Flying Scotsman on November 01, 2011, 12:04:10 AM
Im in Hillside but only temporary.Got my bikes up in palatine.What are you doing to your bike ?Clutch Master cylinder sounds easy enough or are you doing a bunch of stuff.I might have an old master cylinder but would need to look to be sure.Would like to see your bike I dont see many of them.I have 2 bikes to work on and a Honda Civic so they keep me busy but I would help if I could.Ride it out,I will go get my 1100 (need to put the pick up coils back in) and we can go for a ride.

Well, I'm just not that well-versed in Motorcycle mechanic work and want to learn.  I know the valves need to be checked, as it's been about 9k miles since they were last checked.  I can do the cylinder and valve cover gasket, but really, I want someone who knows an FJ to be able to give it a look/listen and tell me if it'll be fine for the next season. 

Other than that, I'm thinking of breaking down the front end, cleaning up any little rust spots, etc, doing the brakes, and maybe even repainting a bit of the metal - handlebars-etc.. to bring it back to its full glory.  I think the suspension is a little soft, but I don't know enough about FJ's.. maybe it's spot on.  I wouldn't know.  I just want to have it ready for a cross-country trip next season :)

Mark Olson

yes the suspension is soft , it was soft the day it came off the line.

get some straight rate springs for the front and a penske shock for the rear.

also you can fool yourself by putting heavier oil in the forks ,like 20 wt.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Len Redmond

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 15, 2011, 05:38:47 PM
Hello Josh, welcome to the zoo! Those Silver/Red '84's hold a special place in my heart.
Yes, you can use any FJ year clutch m/c for your clutch. That does not mean that you should. You roll the dice when you buy someone's used m/c
Why not just rebuild what you have? Kit cost is $25 from Randy @ RPM. 1/2 hour later you have new m/c
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AClutchrbkit

You might as well spend another $18 with Randy and rebuild your clutch slave while you're in there:
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Clutch%3AS%2FK&cat=39

Keep an eye out for a MityVac for bleeding your brake and clutch lines. A very handy tool. (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc)
Replace your 27 year old soft rubber brake lines (right away) and wire tie the elbow on your petcock (asap): http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=3265.0

Zip on over to the intro section and tell us about yourself and what you would like to do to your bike.... and post some pictures of your bike.

Everyone here knows that the Silver and Red first FJ's are the most beautiful FJ's made  (popcorn)  Cheers!  Pat

I too have a 1984 Red/Silver FJ1100 with a leaking clutch master cylinder. I am in the process of refreshing the fairing and taking care of a number of items, including rebuilding the master cylinder. Unfortunately, the Kit at Randy's is for a 1985. I purchased an identical one for a reasonable price from an eBay seller thinking it was correct. It is not. The guts are different and a close inspection of the exterior will reveal that it too is subtly different. I would rather not replace the master cylinder with a later model one, so I am seeking information about another supplier. [It is interesting that generally it is just the rubber bushings that actually wear out, but one must purchase the whole kit to get them.]

If anyone knows the whereabouts of a kit for a 1984, other than the $63.00 ones the OEM parts suppliers carry, I would be grateful for the information.
1960 Vespa 150, 1963 Vespa GS & 1956 BMW R50 (All Three Gone);
1981 BMW R65 (Sold); 1980 Suzuki GS750E; 1983 Suzuki GS750ES; 1985 Suzuki GS700ES(Sold); 1978 Suzuki GS550;
1984 Yamaha FJ1100; 1985 Yamaha FJ1100(Sold); 1992 Yamaha FJ1200 ABS

Pat Conlon

Hey Len, let me know if you don't find a rebuild kit. I have buried (somewhere) in my garage a clutch m/c off my '84 I can send you.(free)

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Billsy5150

Hi All,
Newbie to the list. Just bought a 1985 FJ1100 that has been in moth balls for 10 years. Many challenges are ahead, but one that is relevant to this thread; The Clutch Master cylinder is leaking and I'm looking for a rebuild kit. I'm only seeing the kit for the FJ1200...are they interchangeable? Any help is appreciated.
Scott

FJ111200

Hello there,

yeah mate, all the same.

racerrad8

No, 1100 cylinder internal components are different from the 1200 and they will not interchange.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Dan Filetti

Live hardy, or go home. 

FJ1100mjk

What are the differences? I've taken apart and re-assembled both the master cylinders and slave cylinders from my '85 and '87 and the parts looked the same. Are referring to the later model 1200's?

Marty
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ111200

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 23, 2012, 10:06:56 AM
No, 1100 cylinder internal components are different from the 1200 and they will not interchange.

Randy - RPM

Yep, true enough. You live and learn. Thanks Randy.

racerrad8

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on April 23, 2012, 10:26:42 AM
What are the differences? I've taken apart and re-assembled both the master cylinders and slave cylinders from my '85 and '87 and the parts looked the same. Are referring to the later model 1200's?

Marty

The piston & piston seal is of different design. Some of the seals from the 1100 kit will work, but not the piston or the actuation seal.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Billsy5150

Thank you for the info gents. Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for the 85'?

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 23, 2012, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: FJ1100mjk on April 23, 2012, 10:26:42 AM

Marty

The piston & piston seal is of different design. Some of the seals from the 1100 kit will work, but not the piston or the actuation seal.

Randy - RPM

Billsy5150

Thank you Dan! It seems to be a knowledgeable group for sure.

Quote from: Dan Filetti on April 23, 2012, 10:21:21 AM
Welcome Scott.

Good group here.

Dan