News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Output shaft seal

Started by ribbert, October 17, 2011, 01:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I'm looking at buying a '93 motor (complete bike with motor removed) with modest/average mileage. The problem, and the reason the engine's out, is the output shaft seal is not only leaking but protruding from the casing. Now, this may be the result of trying to pry it out, the owner doesn't know. He took it to a mechanic for an oil leak, was given a quote to split the cases, agreed, the motor was removed, and there it sat until he got the shits and retrieved it. I have never heard of a leak from this seal. Has anyone had such an experience?
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

andyb

Start reading about here.  Couple posts of info on it, looks apparently doable.

scouser

I just posted a question on the same area.
The seal I took out has a steel ring attached to it on the inner side of the seal. Mine blew due to too much pressure build up in the engine as the carbs stuck and dumped a bunch of gas in the lower end. I fired up the bike and it backfired like a cannon. The new seal I have ordered is different as it doesn't have a steel ring on it. Maybe that's why yours looks that way. The one in yours may be an aftermarket one or a newer style so the casings dont have to be split to replace it. (But I'm just guessing)
Check out my post and hope it helps.

Scouser

Quote from: ribbert on October 17, 2011, 01:12:49 AM
I'm looking at buying a '93 motor (complete bike with motor removed) with modest/average mileage. The problem, and the reason the engine's out, is the output shaft seal is not only leaking but protruding from the casing. Now, this may be the result of trying to pry it out, the owner doesn't know. He took it to a mechanic for an oil leak, was given a quote to split the cases, agreed, the motor was removed, and there it sat until he got the shits and retrieved it. I have never heard of a leak from this seal. Has anyone had such an experience?
Noel
Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.