News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Removing Seat

Started by terryk, October 17, 2011, 10:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryk

OK, this is a real question, and admit up front I am a dumbass, or insert your pithy comment her.....

But, how do you remove the seat on an 87 FJ ?

Could not find a post and the manual was unclear to me........ :blush:

weymouth399

Use the key to unlock the helmet/seat latch. (right side of bike) Turn one way open seat (clockwise I think) turn they other way to open helmet lock. Then open the other latch on the other side. Pull on seat from rear.

Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Mark Olson

wow that takes me back.  I remember my first time ...... :rofl2:

there are two latches under the grab bars (one on each side) that must be moved downward after you turn the key then the seat will come off.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

andyb

Yup.  I had to call a dealer and ask :(

Flyover Country Joe

Yep, me too! I spent about 20 minutes groping around the back of the bike before finding the release levers :lol:

WhiteBeard

Quote from: Flyover Country Joe on October 17, 2011, 03:48:44 PM
Yep, me too! I spent about 20 minutes groping around the back of the bike before finding the release levers

I still have trouble finding them...  :wacko2:

FJTillDeath

Major LOL :biggrin:

I too had the same problem. I found the lever on the left easily enough, but the one on the right had been broken off. Eventually with some wiggling of the key and moving of the lever I got it right.

I have removed the seat a couple times now since then and I always battle with the right lever(the piece sticking out is probably only a few milimeters long) :dash1:
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

terryk

OK, got the seat off, very, very easy to do. And, found two interesting things. 1) I think I still have the original tool kit and bag that shipped withthe bike. Tools are shiny and the bad is a white canvas bag, blue printing with the word Yamaha and a strap that secures with two D rings. 2) One of my pet peeves, paperwork on the bike. At least three owners worth of registration and insurance papers. People, do not give a thief the papers along with your bike, seems like a gift to me.

Mark Olson

a thief can't get the seat off anyway. :crazy:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Derek Young

Make sure you take the key out of the lock as soon as you unlock the right side.  Forgot mine in on a road trip last year.  Threw the saddle bags over when I was done under the seat and.... those keys bend real easy. As for straightening back out.... not so much.
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

FeralJuggernaut

"Make sure you take the key out of the lock as soon as you unlock the right side.  Forgot mine... " 

+1

I've left that damn key over night a few times in my carport.   I give the thief a key AND paperwork.     :dash1:
-----------
Safety Fast

Dazza57

I was one of the lucky ones, PO told me how to and showed me :) :good:
Greatest joke in the world - Two women sitting quietly in a room together, minding their own business :)
Bikes owned
Honda SL125
Suz TS250
Honda XL350
Suz GT550
Yam RD400
Suz TS185
Suz GS550
Suz GS850G
Suz GSX1100
Honda CX500
Honda XLX250R
FJ1200 3CV, current
FJR1300
BMWR1200RT curre

scrag

Is there a way of doing this without a key? I have just had my bike delivered. Previous owner left keys in a box which was the stolen. I need to get thelock off to get key numbers.

Pat Conlon

Not without destroying something....I would call a mobile locksmith.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

rktmanfj

Try working another Yamaha key in there.

I was surprised to find by accident one day that the key to my new ignition switch also works my gas cap and seat latch.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350