News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Effin' Ebay!!

Started by Suskie, October 22, 2011, 06:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suskie

Hi,

Thought I'd register and introduce mesen'. I live in Dudley, England and recently bought a '92 FJ (3XW without the Anti-Lock brakes) off a geezer in Glasgow off Ebay. Had to collect, obviously.. It was a wet and windy 350 mile ride home!

Overall the bike's not a bad old thing, bit middle aged, lardy and wobbly, but still able for a good time... I christened her 'Beryl' to suit.

She was supposed to have been loved and cherished but sadly not, I weirdly found pics of her on 'tinternet as a rusty wreck that had been sort of cosmetically rebuilt by a previous owner. So, now it's MY turn.

I have so far replaced the headlamp and straightened out the fairing sub-frame, replaced the chain and sprockets, (I had to cut the old gearbox sprocket off with a Dremel!) Taped up the wiring and re-routed it so it's not draped all over the engine, repaired both side scoops, sourced and replaced the chain adjusters (One was snapped off), fitted the correct battery and re-affixed the battery tray as it was basically just thrown down the hole.

Jobs for the winter are to strip her down properly, re-seal the leaking clutch slave cylinder, attempt to improve the front brake-disk warpage if possible (I can't afford to replace yet) replace the rusty rear sub-frame as the indicator lugs have been sawn off (luckily I was given an old one that I will clean up and paint) and remove the swing arm. Yes, the main bolt is seized solid so it's looking like a drill out job! I have also been given a nice alloy swing arm off a 3CV model and would like to know what's involved in fitting one of these instead of the cheap steel one? Oh and what main bolt and bushings/bearings would I need?

I guess that's the cycle parts sorted, the rest is to have a go at checking, cleaning and balancing the carbs, re-shim the valves and change all the fluids.

Well, that's me... Just looking forward to next year and hopefully having me a nice bike and getting some miles done!

The Suskmeister  :smile:
Suskmeister

Mark Olson

Welcome to the clubhouse  :hi:

sounds like ya got the ebay shuffle.

It's all good , now you have something to work on and have fun riding around. :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

craigo

Suskmeister,

Post some pics and, if available, send the link to the ebay ad.  Just curious about truth in advertising.

Welcome to the site and remember, there are a lot of really knowledgeable guys here that can help in every aspect of repairing or modifying your FJ.

Enjoy your new FJ,   :good2:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

racerman_27410

Welcome friend!

i hope you got a good deal on the FJ.

it always sucks to get the wrong end of a ebay deal.

good onya for bringing her back though.... i'm sure she will reward you with many miles of good service and FUN!

KOokaloo!

Suskie

Thanks for the replies!

Kinda embarrassing, but I just found the pictures of me bike as a wreck on here... Oopsie!!  :biggrin:

I don't think I can post the link to the ad yet, but here's the text:-

HI SELLING MY 1993 YAMAHA FJ 1200 AS I,VE NO TIME TO USE IT, TOO!!! MANY KIDS BIKE IS IN GOOD CONDITION FOR AGE EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD GOOD TYRES WITH PLENTY OF TREAD, CHAIN + SPROCKETS IN GOOD CONDITION ,GOOD BRAKES ,MOT TILL APRIL BIKE IS CURRENTLY SORNED BIKE HAS RECENTLY BEEN SERVICED OIL+ FILTER, NEW FORK SEAL,S JUST FITTED AND NEW BATTERY.

The MOT (Annual vehicle test for those who aren't familiar with British terminology) must be a dodgy one in my opinion as fork seals leaking, wrong battery fitted and not secure, front disks warped and chain and sprockets absolutely shagged... Not quite as advertised, but I should have looked harder. I travelled 4 hours to buy it and to be fair it does look quite tidy so I let me heart rule me head a bit...

Still, nothing un-sortable and I do love the way she pulls like a train! :good2:

The Suskmeister

Suskmeister

Suskie

Okay.... How does one post photo's???  :unknown:
Suskmeister

andyb

From ebay, it's kinda a bastard to post pictures.  Think this is one of them.  Expect that the links will break and die in a month or so.

Suskie

How did you find that? Lol

Yeah, that's the bunny!!! Looks well in the photo's don't she?
Suskmeister

FJTillDeath

Hi Suskie, welcome to the group! She does look very nice, but from what you described, most of whats wrong is easy to fix.

Read this topic here http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=341.0 ( have yet to figure out how to code it like Andy does)

Its best to upload the pictures you want to share on flicker or even here on this site as its more permanent and less annoying to see one of these pop up in old threads
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

Suskie

Suskmeister