News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Current Kat Rider Looking into an FJ

Started by latenight, October 22, 2011, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latenight

Hello all!

I started riding this past Spring and absolutely love it. I bout a 95 Suzuki Katana 750 with 6k miles for $900 back in April. Spent 6 weeks trying to get it running well. Changed spark plugs, rear brake pads, changed fuel petcock, and changed clutch cable. I know this is all relatively simple stuff, but to me it was incredibly challening - but rewarding. Since then I have put 5k miles on it and absolutely love it!

Anyways, I am looking into getting a second bike, something a bit bigger. I have recently come across a 92 FJ1200 with 42k miles on it. I love the streetifighter look, and have heard good things about FJs. I just thought I would throw the post up and ask everyone's advice on it.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2595053353.html

A few of my thoughts.
-I contacted the seller who informed me that it had 42k miles on it. He reiterated the motor is bulletproof... Hearing that from the seller means nothing to me. From all of you FJers, is 42k low mileage on a 92? I know its ridiculous I got a 95 with such low mileage, but would this FJ still have plenty of mileage left?
-The seller says that the bike needs a clutch. I looked on ebay and found clutch kits for about $100. Can you all confirm that would be the total cost for a clutch replacement. Also, is this something that is manageable by a rookie rider?
-He said it still rides fine. Rides fine without a clutch!?!? I would assume you could start it in first gear down a hill (with the clutch safety switch removed), and then just switch the gears without using the clutch, but would this be something I could really do to get the bike to my home, or is it dangerous?

Any help or insight you all can provide would be much appreciated. I realize I am an outsider (as I dont have a FJ), but I hope to be an insider soon!

The seller said he'd be willing to go for 1600 or a trade as well (although I'm leary of trading my kat and being left without a bike for a while until I sort it out).

Bluebook is 2300 or so if I recall.

Thanks a bunch!

LateNight
Washington, DC

FeralJuggernaut

here is some internet speculation, worth nearly as much as you paid for it...    :hi:

I am going to predict the 'clutch work' needed is either a fresh or doubled up spring because it slips a bit when you get it under full load.  Yes its ridable at 'civil' street speeds as you keep up with the econoboxs at every red light.   Kookaloo zone, not as much fun. 

Mileage:   42k isn't bad.   Mine is 112K, our leader in Denver has 200+.  This is of course relative to how it was treated in life.  Keeping up with oil changes and it wouldn't concern me at all.  Starter chain may rattle around a bit so don't be alarmed by that at all.

Jumping from a Kat to an FJ, please hold on tight and wear all your gear ( /end PSA ).

Find yourself a way to get to the FJ rally if you end up getting it.    fjrally.com 

Good luck!    :drinks:
-----------
Safety Fast

racerman_27410

Welcome,

get the FJ.... if it looks good cosmetically.... it has plenty of life left in it.

easy to work on

lots of fun when you twist the throttle.

KOokaloo!

SlowOldGuy

The "clutch problem" could be as simple and easy as a $20 seal kit in the clutch slave cylinder.

42K miles is nothing if it has even remotely been taken care of.

DavidR.

fj11.5

Get the Fj , great bikes , do the 92 kats look as good as the original ones,
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJTillDeath

Get it, if it runs  most is well with the engine. Easy to work on and parts can be acquired.

42k is small, these bikes really do run forever. If needs be, you can overhual the engine - also easy(but time consuming)

As far as easy to ride. I started a couple years ago on a little 125 commuter bike, then jumped to the FJ. With my arm still plastered up somewhat I rode the FJ. Great bike and really easy to ride around as a commuter. At higher speeds - just be ready to be really surprised, have a huge smile on your face with a little fear inbetween
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling