News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

The files backup/ deletion

Started by FJTillDeath, October 28, 2011, 01:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJTillDeath

I dont know how it works, the "cleaning up" of this site and such, but I have read somewhere that the really old posts get deleted..

Some of the old posts are really good reads and have some information too, and I think Marsh is the one who filters through everything..

But I was wondering is there a way we can decide by way of poll or discussion which old topics we want to keep. There was mention of moving threads to a blackhole system and I think that would be a good idea for sorting through what the members want to keep and what to get rid of..

Like I said I am not sure how this works, but I know bandwidth isnt free so Im sure the cleanups do happen, though I have read threads from a good couple of years ago(yeah I read a lot of the old freds :wacko2:) there are some good reads and answers to a lot of questions
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

Harvy

Jesse, all 971 of my posts are still here, and I've been here since day 1. I don't think there is any culling yet.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Marsh White

Quote from: Harvy on October 28, 2011, 06:34:32 AM
Jesse, all 971 of my posts are still here, and I've been here since day 1. I don't think there is any culling yet.

Harvy

Correct Harvy!  There has been no deletion of old threads or posts from the database.  I'm not sure where he got that from.

It is a very common thing for forums to do - and easy to do from the Admin section to trim the database by recent activity - age of posts - etc.  However, I have no intention of ever doing that unless it is absolutely necessary to actually keep the forum operational.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Marsh White on October 28, 2011, 09:07:15 AM
Quote from: Harvy on October 28, 2011, 06:34:32 AM
Harvy
Correct Harvy!  There has been no deletion of old threads or posts from the database.  I'm not sure where he got that from.
It is a very common thing for forums to do - and easy to do from the Admin section to trim the database by recent activity - age of posts - etc.  However, I have no intention of ever doing that unless it is absolutely necessary to actually keep the forum operational.
Guess that means that Irishluck has made his mark for all time....poor bastard.. I was gonna make a "FlipTheBird" smilely just for him [FTB smiley not inserted here].
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJTillDeath

Thanks Marsh and Harvy, yes I was confused as when I was skimming through some of the old posts I read about people asking the admin to delete(obviously the thread was offensive to someone or something or they were just joking around)

Great to know that everything still stays :good2:

and a flipthebird smiley? If you mean a bird showing a zap sign the www.freesmileys.com has one. I would post it but my current office has that site banned

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJt!llD3@th on October 31, 2011, 05:36:11 AM
Thanks Marsh and Harvy, yes I was confused as when I was skimming through some of the old posts I read about people asking the admin to delete(obviously the thread was offensive to someone or something or they were just joking around)
Great to know that everything still stays :good2:
and a flipthebird smiley? If you mean a bird showing a zap sign the www.freesmileys.com has one. I would post it but my current office has that site banned
www.freesmileys.com A redirect to http://exclusiverewardsonline.com/?sov=276635&id=6PH9I5DVXEE3??? Not cool. What happened??
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

rktmanfj

There's a reason his office has it banned...     :empathy:

FJTillDeath

andyb