News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Crank shaft seal

Started by scouser, October 28, 2011, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scouser

Hi Everyone,
I have a 1986 FJ 1200 which I'm rebuilding. The left side crank shaft seal on the far outer edge of the shaft had a steel ring attached to the inner face that I assume was for holding it in more securely due to pressure build up inside the engine. The upper and lower casings have a groove cut in them to seat the ring when assembling them. The one I have ordered has no steel ring attached. I have checked 1985, 1986 and 1987 parts and they all use the same seal without the steel ring. Is it possible that this type of oil seal with the steel ring was discontinued due to it being too difficult to remove without splitting the upper and lower end. Or am I just missing something and ordering the wrong one. If that's the case I cant seem to find the one that came out in the parts info.

Any help would appreciated.

Cheers,
Scouser
Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.

racerrad8

That ring on the seal is not steel, but rubber. I might be as hard as steel, but it wasn't that way when new.

That ring was used only on the production line as it held the seal in place as the block halves moved down the line.

The replacement seal and blind plug for the other side do not have that rubber lip.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

scouser

Thanks,
You have just put my mind at rest.
It was driving me crazy looking for this thing in the parts  list.
JJ

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 28, 2011, 07:20:28 PM
That ring on the seal is not steel, but rubber. I might be as hard as steel, but it wasn't that way when new.

That ring was used only on the production line as it held the seal in place as the block halves moved down the line.

The replacement seal and blind plug for the other side do not have that rubber lip.

Randy - RPM
Scouser in Canada
1986 750 Interceptor
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2006 Suzuki GSX 650F
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000.
How many golfers do you see play with one club?? same should apply to Bikes and Fishing rods. That's my excuse.

srutherford

hey randy can i replace mine with engine still in the bike along with replacing counter shaft seal. or should i wait until i overhaul. my little oil leak drip every once and a while. is annoying me. i know its just me. i dislike things that leak

cheers

silas

racerrad8

Quote from: srutherford on December 04, 2011, 01:41:15 PM
hey randy can i replace mine with engine still in the bike along with replacing counter shaft seal. or should i wait until i overhaul. my little oil leak drip every once and a while. is annoying me. i know its just me. i dislike things that leak

cheers

silas

Yep, you will need to get the rotor off to change it. The crank seal can be tough to remove because of the aforementioned lip on the seal which gets very hard.

Just be sure not to nick the crank or case surfaces and you will be fine. The trans seals can be replace, you just need to make sure you have a driver to drive on the very outer edge of the seal.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

srutherford

Ok let me make sure I understand no the crank seal until overhaul. But counter seal can be replaced now with care ?  :good:

srutherford

Im srry I misunderstood I can replace both just have to remove rotor and be super careful and take my time. And do shave them (the seals) or should I go to the stealership and im still wanting to get an adapter from u soon thanx

racerrad8

Quote from: srutherford on December 04, 2011, 09:02:08 PM
Im srry I misunderstood I can replace both just have to remove rotor and be super careful and take my time. And do shave them (the seals) or should I go to the stealership and im still wanting to get an adapter from u soon thanx

Both seals are serviceable/replaceable with the engine assembled and in the bike. The replacement seals just need to be installed with no modifications

I have both seals and the adapter as well.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

srutherford

Miker

Is there a special tool needed to remove and reinstall the rotor or would an impact driver be enough?
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R